The Student Room Group

Living in halls with medical condition?

Hey, I’m considering living in halls when I go to uni in September. The uni I’m going to (derby) is only 40 minutes away from my parents house, so it’s not too big of a move for me - but I have bipolar disorder and anxiety so I’m worried about fitting in in halls :/ I also don’t drink that much due to both my medication/being Buddhist and can’t stay up late either because I’m severely anaemic, so I’m super worried people will think I’m boring or something. Does anyone have any stories when it comes to living in halls with a medical condition/any advice? I’m 21 so maybe I’ll be put with other mature students but I’m not sure whether Derby do that or not.. Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by widesinder
Hey, I’m considering living in halls when I go to uni in September. The uni I’m going to (derby) is only 40 minutes away from my parents house, so it’s not too big of a move for me - but I have bipolar disorder and anxiety so I’m worried about fitting in in halls :/ I also don’t drink that much due to both my medication/being Buddhist and can’t stay up late either because I’m severely anaemic, so I’m super worried people will think I’m boring or something. Does anyone have any stories when it comes to living in halls with a medical condition/any advice? I’m 21 so maybe I’ll be put with other mature students but I’m not sure whether Derby do that or not.. Thanks in advance!

Don't worry about what they think, if they think anything about it at all - you do what you need to do to keep yourself safe and healthy. Have you applied to Disabled Students' Allowances? You'd be entitled to a variety of different things from it, I'm sure.
I was fine in halls with depression, anxiety and IBS. Many nights it was pretty loud due to pres and parties happening, however that usually quietens down once people go out to clubs and stuff so I'm sure you'll be able to sleep if you don't want to participate. People won't think you're boring at all, if you just explain you don't drink much then they'll understand :smile: It was a bit harder fitting in with people though, I admit, as there wasn't as many times spent together getting drunk, which is what most of my flat's memories were built on, but if you just find some common ground, then you'll fit in fine :smile: for example, I was able to bond with those who I shared a subject with, or go to gigs with people whose music interests were the same as mine, could bake and cook with some of them, etc. So you should be fine :smile:
Reply 3
Lots of people live in halls with medical conditions including the ones you have and are perfectly fine. If that's what you want to do, then go for it. But you're not that far from uni anyway so you also wouldn't need to if you dont want to. Don't worry about what other people will think, no-one cares at uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending