The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

why do we have to make huge distinctions between what is english and what isn't? most of english is french anyway. french, latin, old norse, saxon, greek - even sandscrit. then there's all of the elements from india and the other colonies. english is the most integrated language in the entire world - why start trying to label stuff as english or not english?
Reply 181
Long Jo(h)n Silver, yarrr
heh, indeed. I'm not too annoyed though - as long as it doesn't take over from our version, i like variation :smile:

Indeed.
CHAMON
It's an English word, you shall learn to respect it madam!

I apologise sir if I offend you but I REALLY do hate the sound of it.
CHAMON
Indeed.

spiffing :wink:
What annoys me the most is US spellings in UK editions of books. I'm reading a book by Umberto Eco and the story is fantastic but the US spelling "color" really puts me off.

Expanding it to text books, even though your book might be using US spellings, you get penalised for it in exams even though your educational establishment and exam board have not provided you with access to materials that use the correct spellings.

Consistency please!

Either sort out the spelling in the text books and penalise students for using US spellings, or do neither and let people use Americanisms.
Reply 185
why do we have to make huge distinctions between what is english and what isn't? most of english is french anyway. french, latin, old norse, saxon, greek - even sandscrit. then there's all of the elements from india and the other colonies. english is the most integrated language in the entire world - why start trying to label stuff as english or not english?

We ruled over them that's why. They are all inferior.
CHAMON
It's an English word, you shall learn to respect it madam!

:eviltongue: :eviltongue: telly sounds a bit funny :p:
CHAMON

i think ruled is a fairly flattering term...bullied maybe more accurate?
Reply 188
galladriel
I apologise sir if I offend you but I REALLY do hate the sound of it.

Apology accepted...

When you should hear it uttered from a persons lips, stand then aside and correct them. Say, ''can you please refer to it as a TELEVISION, It's upsets me greatly should anyone say telly'' :yep:
CHAMON

:stupid: you didn't rule over them, you just used their languages, probably because you were incapable of finding a new one :evil: :evil:
Reply 190
i think ruled is a fairly flattering term...bullied maybe more accurate?

That is what books lead people to believe, I know the truth. We didn't bully anybody, we gave them a life that so many now want a part of. That in my book is classed as being generous. :wink:
Xristina
:stupid: you didn't rule over them, you just used their languages, probably because you were incapable of finding a new one :evil: :evil:

Good one. :smile: Not too fair a comment for the country of Shakespear but he deserved it (not Shakespear, Chamon :p: )
Reply 192
Xristina

Haha - we gave them what they have now!
galladriel
Good one. :smile: Not too fair a comment for the country of Shakespear but he deserved it (not Shakespear, Chamon :p: )

I know, it was for Chamon :biggrin:
:cool:
"American English" (Does that even make ****ing sense? Lets be honest.) infuriates me
CHAMON
That is what books lead people to believe, I know the truth. We didn't bully anybody, we gave them a life that so many now want a part of. That in my book is classed as being generous. :wink:

imperialism had both good and bad aspects...it's impossible to deem the commonwealth is entirely negative or positive. It happened. simple as that. better than global fascism, at any rate :wink:
CHAMON

Ok, I would have stopped talking now if I were you :eyeball:
Reply 197
galladriel
not Shakespear, Chamon :p: )

H'actually It's Shakespeare :p:
CHAMON

what do you mean ? last time I checked, greeks spoke greek, french spoke french and ok, latin is not used anymore, but not because English took its place :s-smilie:
|>|Imagine|<|
"American English" (Does that even make ****ing sense? Lets be honest.) infuriates me

what would you rather it be called? it's the american variation of english...just as there are many other variations around the world. I can't think of anything more sensible to call it, personally.

Latest

Trending

Trending