Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just curious.
    I'm hoping to get AAA in my A2's but have awful absolutely awful GCSE's.
    By awful i mean C's and barely a B.
    I really want to get to a good university but have found that many good unis are picky on gcse's....

So does tha mean oxbridge,imperial, ucl, kings, lse are like out of the question...:confused:

Im thinking of taking either, aeronautical engineering, law, or maths.

What uni's should i be aiming for baring in mind i want to be in the best uni possible.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Erm in a word, No. They aren't out of the question. Only a few Universitys are "GCSE Nazis" but it is still worth applying if you'll get the AAA.

ReputationRep:
    Avoid LSE, Durham, Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Mortell)
    Erm in a word, No. They aren't out of the question. Only a few Universitys are "GCSE Nazis" but it is still worth applying if you'll get the AAA.
    Imperials aero department said they would expect students to have atleast a B in maths and physics :confused:

In my case out of the question...?
    What about oxbridge??

ReputationRep:
    If you can give good reasons for the drastic improvement in academic performance between GCSEs and A-Levels I am sure places like Oxbridge and LSE would consider your application just as with others. Although I do believe that GCSE results are one of the many factors that these "top" Universities (especially Oxbridge, LSE and Durham) take into consideration when siphoning through their plentiful talented applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trance addict)
    Avoid LSE, Durham, Oxford
    what about cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    What subjects are your A levels in?

ReputationRep:
    If you have showed such a dramatic improvement then it will look really good, could you provide us with an explaination?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petit chou)
    What subjects are your A levels in?
    Maths, Physics, Economics, Spanish, History

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masucha)
    If you have showed such a dramatic improvement then it will look really good, could you provide us with an explaination?
    lol well, its just a change of view in my future really, decided to be something in life rather than be a loser who parties 24/7 lol :rolleyes:

Plus classmates and friends wern't exactly the clever ones

(Original post by Ukazi-TazZy)
    Good choices, get A's in those and tbh if you have a good reason which one of your tutors can note in your reference, there shouldnt be many places which are "impossible"

ReputationRep:
    I think if you have an A in both Maths and Physics at A level it won't really matter about whether you got a B in them at GCSE. Why didn't you do that well at GCSE? Bad school, bad motivation, personal problems?

ReputationRep:
    You mentioned before you were looking to get AAA at A2, so which three of these have you taken to A2 and which are AS-Levels? Or am I just confused :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petit chou)
    I think if you have an A in both Maths and Physics at A level it won't really matter about whether you got a B in them at GCSE. Why didn't you do that well at GCSE? Bad school, bad motivation, personal problems?
    bad school, bad motivation, couldnt care less about the world, fell out with the best gf ive ever had, traumatic times for one to encounter at 16 lol

So you think i could still try for oxbridge???
    and on that note should i forget about law all together because of it's competitiveness??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelbenson)
    You mentioned before you were looking to get AAA at A2, so which three of these have you taken to A2 and which are AS-Levels? Or am I just confused :P
    There my AS, i'd be taking Maths, Physics, Economics, spanish for A2.
    but assuming i stay hard working and determined and get those A grades i so desprately want.

ReputationRep:
    There my AS, i'd be taking Maths, Physics, Economics, spanish for A2.
    but assuming i stay hard working and determined and get those A grades i so desprately want.
    When are you thinking of applying to uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    When are you thinking of applying to uni?
    in a year after i finish my A2, im assuming 2009/2010...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I got offers from KCL and Bath with no GCSEs (aside from a BTEC First Diploma thing, which is equal to like 4 or 5 at C or something), so they probably don't care that much about GCSEs. Either that or it's just that CS is really quite under-subscribed, possibly the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you should try applying to Cambridge - the worst that can happen is that you get a rejection, it still leaves you with 4 picks.

ReputationRep:
    oxbridge.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.