Turn on thread page Beta

Post as anon or delete please.

Basically I'm a really quite guy, Ive always had alot of friends though for some reason. Ive got a close friendship group at uni and at home.

I do talk alot when I feel like it, but mostly I just listen to what my mates are saying and laugh at their jokes with the occasional sentence here and there. People also feel rather comfortable around me, hence my room at uni is always packed.

However, the problem is meeting girls. Because of the way I am, when I meet girls for the first time I don't really say alot and let them talk to me, instead of me talking to them (like it should be). Because of this I never seem to get past first base with girls, (apart from one night stands).

What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    im presuming you mean quiet, rather than quite... it may sound stupid but sometimes you have to feign confidence - then somewhere along the line it will most probably turn into the real thing. might not sound helpful but trust me, speaking from personal experience, it works,

ReputationRep:
    When i know i'm going to be in a situation where i need to speak to someone i don't really know, I think up of a list of possible topics, preferably things which are questions but which i also have an opinion/something to say about. Then i just bring them up in conversation.
    p.s. a drink or 2 always helps with the old confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you quiet in these situations then? Are you scared you will say something wrong/don't like having attention/just don't have a lot to say?

If it is a confidence issue you could always find ways to improve or you could just accept that fact that you are the way you are and wait for the right person to come along. There are lots of shy people out there who are in good relationships!

ReputationRep:
    I almost thought that was meant to be 'quite gay' -

erm, just be happy with who you are though, don't worry so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats funny)
    I almost thought that was meant to be 'quite gay' -
    Men don;t have to macho all the time do they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprout_hair)
    Men don;t have to macho all the time do they?
    No, I wasn't implying anything.

ReputationRep:
    No, I wasn't implying anything.
    Okok, im just reading into things.. my bad.

ReputationRep:
    you sound a lot like me (except i am a girl). It really is all about confidence, just try and find activitys and things that you enjoy and while you are busy doing things you enjoy it will become much easier to talk to people, esp as any girls you meet at related events will at least have something in common with you and so you dont have to rumage around for small talk

ReputationRep:
    Okok, im just reading into things.. my bad.
    that's ok - people misunderstand me all the time - :rolleyes:

love the swearing baby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Because of the way I am, when I meet girls for the first time I don't really say alot and let them talk to me, instead of me talking to them (like it should be). Because of this I never seem to get past first base with girls, (apart from one night stands).
    Contrary to popular belief, you don't really need to talk to girls about yourself. Just prompt them to talk about themselves some more. That goes for guys as well, but especially girls.

But for confidence, try improvised comedy classes. Debate classes. Dress better, read books. Talk to your friends about small topics. Bring up discussions you're interested in. Work out - go to the gym, play a sport or pick up a new one. Eat and drink better. Take care of your appearance - hair, skin, the rest. Each building block is small, but will make a world of a difference to your confidence - put them all together and all of the guys and ugly girls will be whining about how arrogant you are as you stride in and walk out with the girl of your dreams.

Hem hem.

ReputationRep:
    that's ok - people misunderstand me all the time - :rolleyes:

love the swearing baby
    Ahh, welcome to my world.. :p: But it has been a long day..

The baby says thank you.. isn't it just groovy?!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, welcome to my world.. :p: But it has been a long day..

The baby says thank you.. isn't it just groovy?!
    Hmm, it has. I should sleep but can't.

Say no prob back :rolleyes: - Groovy? lol, don't hear that word too often, ha. Erm but yeah - I guess it is

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.