Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it cycling on an exercise bike at a really extreme pace? How fit do you need to be to start? Is it good?

ReputationRep:
    yes, pretty much.
    My friend who's rather fit did a class and pretty much died. That's when i decided it wasn't for me.
    Although apparently some places do beginner classes

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's good.

Basically it's cycling on an exercise bike, normally the bike is a little bit different from the ones in the main area of the gym as they'll have special resistance gadgets and the likes. In the class I go to (fitness first), the class leader plays ridiculously loud dance music and gets everyone pumped up, it lasts for about 45 minutes and we vary in the resistance.
    As far as I'm aware of there are beginners classes, so try out one of those and your class leader should talk it slow. You'll cycle standing up, sitting down, leaning back a little and other positions and throughout the class you'll keep on building up your resistance. Usually it's pretty good craic, however sometimes if the bikes are rubbish your ass will hurt like hell the next day so be warned!

EDIT: Oh yeah, make sure you're really ready for the class i.e. you've ate a good proper meal several hours beforehand and some food to give you energy, perhaps a banana? Anyway, if you don't you'll actually end up exhausted as this class really does make you break into a sweat to say the least!

ReputationRep:
    It's a brilliant class. Been 4 times since Saturday

Make sure you take some water. At my gym (Fitness First) there is no specific beginners class so you might have to just go along and take it a bit easy your first time.

ReputationRep:
    Cool! I think I will give it a go!

also someone negged me for making a thread about spinning- i lol'd, exercise aversion much?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saoirse)
    Is it cycling on an exercise bike at a really extreme pace? How fit do you need to be to start? Is it good?
    'Spinning' is an exercise that takes place on a specially designed stationary bicycle called (obviously enough) a spinning bike. As you pedal, motivating music plays and the instructor talks you through a visualization of an outdoor cycling workout: "You're going up a long hill now, you can't see the top yet." During the class you vary your pace -- sometimes pedaling as fast as you can, other times cranking up the tension and pedaling slowly from a standing position. This helps you to focus inwardly and work on your mind as well as your body.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.