Zakydoodah
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was wondering if anyone has done/doing A level Law, as I'm planning to do it at A level next year. If so, what's it like? and what sort of stuff do you do??
Thanks
aarnat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why do you want to study A-level Law? If you want to study it as a degree honestly there is no point. You have to relearn the content and it does not give you an advantage over the other applicants.
sxira2091
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don’t just don’t I’m currently doing biology chemistry and law and easily can say law is the worst it’s not hard but there is so much to memorise as it’s the law so you have to memorise some definitions and principles You have 3 papers if you do aqa criminal tort and the third one your college chooses etheir contract law or human rights and each paper you get a booklet with information you need to know for the exam Baiscally mini revision guides and each one is approx 76 pages
sxira2091
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sxira2091)
Don’t just don’t I’m currently doing biology chemistry and law and easily can say law is the worst it’s not hard but there is so much to memorise as it’s the law so you have to memorise some definitions and principles You have 3 papers if you do aqa criminal tort and the third one your college chooses etheir contract law or human rights and each paper you get a booklet with information you need to know for the exam Baiscally mini revision guides and each one is approx 76 pages also not many revision resources for it..
^^
CAB18022
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zakydoodah)
I was wondering if anyone has done/doing A level Law, as I'm planning to do it at A level next year. If so, what's it like? and what sort of stuff do you do??
Thanks
Hi there, I did A-level Law and Got a B. It does depend on what exam board you are doing, I did OCR. I’ll be as blunt as possible, it’s REALLY difficult 🤣🤣.

You have to get certain wordings correct, you haver to remember over 100 cases, you have to learn a few Latin words. The thing is though, the module has recently changed and so there aren’t many past papers.

I’ll be honest with you, only do it if you are considering doing it in Uni because once you realise how difficult it is, you won’t see the point of it. From doing a-levels i’ve Never seen so many people drop out of any other subject than Law.

You rarely see or study fun or exciting cases so yeah, 95% of the won’t seem interesting at face value.

Hope this helps
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CAB18022)
Hi there, I did A-level Law and Got a B. It does depend on what exam board you are doing, I did OCR. I’ll be as blunt as possible, it’s REALLY difficult 🤣🤣.

You have to get certain wordings correct, you haver to remember over 100 cases, you have to learn a few Latin words. The thing is though, the module has recently changed and so there aren’t many past papers.

I’ll be honest with you, only do it if you are considering doing it in Uni because once you realise how difficult it is, you won’t see the point of it. From doing a-levels i’ve Never seen so many people drop out of any other subject than Law.

You rarely see or study fun or exciting cases so yeah, 95% of the won’t seem interesting at face value.

Hope this helps
This is really good experience and advice because i haven't heard of anyone who took a level law here or in rl. However, I have to say that you dont need a level law for uni; it's not really helpful because you learn all the content from the beginning like in the first term and they dont want you to transfer old habits when you learn law so in my opinion, i would advise against taking it.
JayAllen17
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if you're considering a level law, and want to pursue it at uni, it's unnecessary. but what you can look forward to is an equal mix between civil and criminal law cases, you'll have to memorize a lot of case names and facts but know this. don't get your hopes up from what a level law is like. I did that and did law at uni and hated every second. on a different course now
CAB18022
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
This is really good experience and advice because i haven't heard of anyone who took a level law here or in rl. However, I have to say that you dont need a level law for uni; it's not really helpful because you learn all the content from the beginning like in the first term and they dont want you to transfer old habits when you learn law so in my opinion, i would advise against taking it.
You’re absolutely right actually, thanksgiving correcting me on that! I guess it’s really if you are genuinely interested in it.
nestle crunch
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm surprised at these comments honestly.. I'm doing Law (OCR), Biology and Chemistry A-Levels and it's truly one of the most interesting courses to date. I personally find it very useful; I've learnt a lot of rules and regulations I was unaware of. It could possibly boil down to the fact that I'm extremely interested in true crime and will likely pursue a career somewhere in the criminal justice system. It is true that we've had a lot of dropouts and people do find it quite intense but I score pretty much full marks usually along with a few others.

Only negative I can say about it is that the resources are very scarce. The one revision guide for OCR isn't exam board endorsed so I do have to spend a lot more time creating revision resources and getting them checked by my teacher, but I really enjoy it!

I feel like Law is only good if it's somehow relevant to your career, and even then, it's never a requirement. Not much point if you're going to do Maths or History at uni since it is quite specific.
z.13_ZH
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zakydoodah)
Thanks
Completely agree with most people. I only chose law because my mum said I should and that I would enjoy it. I chose it and I hate it. There's an unfair amount of information that needs to be learned in such a short amount of time. I would advise you to steer away from it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.43%
England (143)
34.71%
Belgium (32)
7.77%
Germany (41)
9.95%
Spain (10)
2.43%