Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but just want to see what sort of response this will bring.

Firstly, would you say that it is the morally right thing to do to give up your life if it meant saving two other lives?

If so, assuming that if you devoted your entire life to charity work (of any sort that you think would be most effective) you would be able to save at least two other lives or more, why aren't you doing it?

ReputationRep:
    fact is mankind has always been selfish, and will always prioritize themselves !

lots of questions open though, why should i GIVE up to SAVE someone else, why are they in the situation in the first place....

2nd point, you can do as much charity work as you want, but there will always be famine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnnnl)
    I'm not accusing anyone of anything
    Haha, sounds like a Vicky Pollard line to me,

Sorry, this may appear rude..now I don't know whether it's my sleep deprivation kicking in or my general lack of brains, but wtf OP?

ReputationRep:
    Would I pay 1p to save someone? - Yes
    Would I pay 10P to save someone? - Yes
    Would I pay £1 to save someone? - Yes
    Would I pay £10 to save someone? - Yes
    Would I pay £100 to save someone? - Yes

The question is... where does that end? Because i garentee it will end for everyone, regardless of what they may think their moral standpoint is.

ReputationRep:
    Ineed, the original post expects..

1. Give up everything you have to save 2 lives - no one will do
    2. Spend whole life doing charity to save 2 lives - again no one will do

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, would you say that it is the morally right thing to do to give up your life if it meant saving two other lives?
    Morally right thing to do...I don't know. However, presumeably it's on your conscious then possibly it is. 'Tis all subjective innit.

If so, assuming that if you devoted your entire life to charity work (of any sort that you think would be most effective) you would be able to save at least two other lives or more, why aren't you doing it?
    Selfishness, clearly. I want more time to experience life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StotheL)
    Haha, sounds like a Vicky Pollard line to me,

Sorry, this may appear rude..now I don't know whether it's my sleep deprivation kicking in or my general lack of brains, but wtf OP?
    wtf do you mean wtf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnnnl)
    wtf do you mean wtf?
    Well read your original post yourself and then look at the bottom right corner of your screen!

your post is pretty screwed and flawed ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bavarian Motor Works)
    Well read your original post yourself and then look at the bottom right corner of your screen!

your post is pretty screwed and flawed ...
    is it? I was only asking a question.

ReputationRep:
    some seem to have missed the point. I'm not asking everyone "why aren't you devoting your life to saving others?", I'm only asking that question to the people who answered yes to the first question in my post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnnnl)
    some seem to have missed the point. I'm not asking everyone "why aren't you devoting your life to saving others?", I'm only asking that question to the people who answered yes to the first question in my post.

Eg, do you think its right to work 4 hours for free so that 1 person can have 1 bowl of rice in china?

Do you think its right to work 4 hours for free everyday on top of your normal job so that 2 or more people may eat a bowl of rice in china?

Its not a very good proposition you have given people!

ReputationRep:
    Well, depends how important that bowl of rice is. If its gonig to save their life then maybe.

But I haven't given a proposition. I just asked why. I knew I shouldn't have worded it: "why aren't you doing it?" I'm not saying you should be doing, I'm just asking why!

ReputationRep:
    well life is short, if you don't believe in some sort of afterlife, then this is all you have, so you want to make the most of it by doing what you want.

If people can't see starving people or people in need, they can pretend they don't exist and aren't their responsibility. And most people in the West are pretty selfish so you can always justify yourself against other people, even if that doesn't make it morally right, it eases the burden!

Anyway I'm doing medicine so might end up saving lives

ReputationRep:
    nnnnl.. do you do charity work?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.