6.45%
    Don't really care
    19.12%
    No
    27.88%

ReputationRep:
    Hey ppl...just found this article in times

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle4332635.ece

Read this article and i was like thats just wrong..any thoughts on the topic

ReputationRep:
    Anyone should be able to do whatever they want to whoever they want as long as both are consenting.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that is not normal in the slightest.

me and my sister only have 10 months between us and hang around in the same circles, but never in a million years would anything like like ever cross my mind. it makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

how can they do that and just feel normal about it! family is just too close for comfort.
    i've got a girl mate who i've known since about a month old, and i ain't attracted to her in anyway due to the fact that we're so close.

would be the most awkward thing ever.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see it as morally wrong, if the brother and sister are consenting. The women interviewed sounded astute and well-versed and not immature or particularly unsure, which I commend her for. If anything, I felt bad for her that she had to keep it a secret - it seems like love, albeit a very unconventional, socially unacceptable love. Naturally it is not a love that could sustain unless they moved away from family/friends (probably to another country), but it doesn't really disgust me in anyway.

I do, however, think that if incest was legalised, research would need to be done into children born from incest, and whether it should be condoned (relating to deformities etc).

ReputationRep:
    Both of them were responsible with it (using contraception) so I don't see any problem with it, and if things have turned out good in the end all the more power to them.

I love how one person in the article's comments compared it to the Josef Fritzl scandal... a brother and sister having consentual sex is just a bit different to locking your daughter in a secret room and raping her, no?

It's more than a little amusing when people are shocked over articles like this, as if the act of incest never occured before the article was written. :rolleyes:

(Original post by londonboym)
    yeah, that is not normal in the slightest.
    Normal is a relative thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loyal32)
    i was like thats just wrong
    You only think that because you've been raised to think that way though.

If you'd never heard of incest until reading that article, you'd probably think it was no different to any other two consenting adults.

ReputationRep:
    The answer to inbreeding is always to travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BNP Tasha Djanovic)
    Anyone should be able to do whatever they want to whoever they want as long as both are consenting.
    Yeah, like Armin Meiwes and Bernd Jurgen Brandes.

That article read curiously well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Yeah, like Armin Meiwes and Bernd Jurgen Brandes.
    They weren't related.

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately, the choice is theirs I cant say I have a problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttygirl)
    They weren't related.
    No, they weren't.

ReputationRep:
    wut...? that is not on. progressive attitude towards incest? if we were all to have such attitude does that mean incest would be the 'in thing' as bisexuality once was/still is? i'm all about being progressive, don't get me wrong. i love that homosexuality is no longer taboo and all that stuff, but incest, it is a bit too extreme for me. it's disgusting. end of.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see the problem with incest between two consenting, sane adults. What would worry me about the article involved here is that it began when they were underage, so neither could really comprehend or consent.

There's no reason for consensual incest to be taboo. The only argument people can normally come up with is about potential children, but even that's largely rubbish. Offspring born from incest are barely more likely than other children to be genetically deformed, if it's a one off. It's when you have generations of inbreeding that it occurs, which is unlikely when you consider how few people are attracted to their siblings in the first place.

It's only when incest is non-consensual that it's a problem, but ANY non-consensual relationship is, not just incestuous ones.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with it, but who are they hurting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    There's no reason for consensual incest to be taboo.
    Disruption of fundamental familial structures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandora7)
    wut...? that is not on. progressive attitude towards incest? if we were all to have such attitude does that mean incest would be the 'in thing' as bisexuality once was/still is? i'm all about being progressive, don't get me wrong. i love that homosexuality is no longer taboo and all that stuff, but incest, it is a bit too extreme for me. it's disgusting. end of.
    Unfortunately, nature itself does not side with you :p:

Its refreshing to see such a taboo subject written in such an open, expressive way. It happens, people simply do not acknowledge it.

The writer seems quite well read and articulate, so I seriously doubt it is anything but a considered, consensual relationship between two people of the opposite sex growing up together.

I still find it a little distasteful, but I think the relationship written about here is very much a positive one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Disruption of fundamental familial structures.
    Remind us how they are fundamental? Besides, in this case it does not seem to have disrupted anything :p: If they had kept it a secret, I doubt anyone would have guessed.

ReputationRep:
    While I don't neccesarily understand where they're coming from, I'm liberal enough to understand that as two consenting adults they can do what they want. As long as they don't have children together, I'm fine with it.

That being said, the title of this thread "...what is the world coming to" makes it sound as if incest is this new, sweeping trend. Incest is nothing new and you better believe that there are and have been more people like this (though they're probably not brave enough to come forward with it).

ReputationRep:
    "As long as they don't have children together" - why not? Genetic diseases? In that case, we should prevent anyone with an inheritable condition from reproducing should we not?

ReputationRep:
    I've had bad rep about quoting my opinion on incest, and to be honest ill say what i think once again. Incest is sick and disgusting, how could any blood related humans have sex with each other?

I can except homosexuality, but this really does take the biscuit, before you know it people will be petitioning to have it legalized.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.