The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

music is my girlfriend
Would you prefer complete denial?

'I don't like it so I'll pretend it doesn't happen'

I'm going to assume that's not the meaning of 'accept' that you were going for, but even so, what are you reasons for suggesting that incest 'DRAWS the line'?

I agree with everyone who's pointed out that the arguments of those against incest almost invariable consist purely of
'It disgusts me and my culture has taught me it's wrong, therefore it's wrong.'

FORGOD SAKE! A brother and Sister having SEX......does this seem normal to you? It should be illegal. No we cannot control what people do but there must be a fine line between loving your sibling and having intercourse with them.

oh and i got bad rep again for expresssing my opinion, talk about cheap shots.
Reply 201
Antonia87
I really dont think those examples are the same as a brother shagging his younger sister, do you? Whilst the banning of interacial marriage and homosexual sex was a result of mindless, bigoted, ingnorant morons, incest I'm afraid wasnt. As much as you try to argue, incest is NOT NORMAL. In the slightest. And before you say "theres no such thing as normal", there is. Normality, convention and tradition DO exist. And incest fits into none of those categories. People are going to have to accept that some things will just never be accepted!
And I also think that if you found incest to be present in your OWN family, you'd change your views dramatically and I can bet you wouldnt be supportive.

The most powerful argument those who seek to maintain the ban on incest is that you merely blockade the right of a person to engage in sexual relations with, on average, 8-10 people. If you support a racist or homophobic restriction, you're preventing someone to engage in sexual relations with billions of people.

Plus, incest is not a sexual orientation like heterosexuality or homosexuality.
Reply 202
I find this case innaceptable because the tramp uses flowerly descriptions to tell how she enjoyed intercourse with her brother For once, the media can't be blamed. Am I the only one who finds this story appalling, perhaps untrue and simply discusting? BROTHER AND SISTER, DO THE MATH!!! :mad: :mad:
Reply 203
nemesis08
This is a forum so posts are often misinterpreted due to the lack of facial expressions. What I meant, regardless of how you read it, is that with the Austrian case you can empathise with the girl because she did not consent to it. As shocking as the case was she was the victim, whereas with this story they were both willing wich made it harder to actually read let alone come to terms with the damn thing.

Fine.
But it only shifts to a different scenario.

Are you saying it's better to be raped by your family member, than to have engaged in the relationship willingly?

I can understand that you'd empathise with her, but the question still stands.
Also, if it happened in my family I would almost certainly be shocked and even slightly disgusted at first, but if I could see that the two people involved were in a truly loving relationship I'm sure I would grow to accept it.

I realise that most people probably don't think like this, but having considered the matter I really can't think what else I could possibly do.
music is my girlfriend
Also, if it happened in my family I would almost certainly be shocked and even slightly disgusted at first, but if I could see that the two people involved were in a truly loving relationship I'm sure I would grow to accept it.

I realise that most people probably don't think like this, but having considered the matter I really can't think what else I could possibly do.

Ok fine, so we all know now your apart of th incest acceptance band wagon.

For a forum full of bright people i find this appalling.
nemesis08
I find this case innaceptable because the tramp uses flowerly descriptions to tell how she enjoyed intercourse with her brother For once, the media can't be blamed. Am I the only one who finds this story appalling, perhaps untrue and simply discusting? BROTHER AND SISTER, DO THE MATH!!! :mad: :mad:

It is digusting. And what makes me quite sad is how the brothers wife has no idea...imagine how devastated she'd be.
Reply 207
Wiserommer
I agree we cannot help who we fall in love with, but it should not be allowed or even thinkable to have sexual relations with a sibling.

Whoever accepts this on the forum should be ashamed with themselves. We are now an accepting society for many things but this DRAWS the line.

I really cannot believe some members accept it happens.

Well it does happen so you have to accept it...

I think it unthinkable to have sexual relations with a sibling but I think it should be allowed if it is consensual between two adults...
Yep
Antonia87
I really dont think those examples are the same as a brother shagging his younger sister, do you? Whilst the banning of interacial marriage and homosexual sex was a result of mindless, bigoted, ingnorant morons, incest I'm afraid wasnt. As much as you try to argue, incest is NOT NORMAL. In the slightest. And before you say "theres no such thing as normal", there is. Normality, convention and tradition DO exist. And incest fits into none of those categories. People are going to have to accept that some things will just never be accepted!
And I also think that if you found incest to be present in your OWN family, you'd change your views dramatically and I can bet you wouldnt be supportive.

You're so stupid its unture, were you a result of incest. Back in the day homosexuality and interacial marriages were not normal they were just wrong, A lot of people did and still do feel the same way about those as you do about incest, absolutely unthinkable and wrong. Id be lying if I said id be okay with incest close to home, I wouldnt because of my social conditioning, doesnt mean I cant accept it on an intellectual level. Who knows you one day might be being classed as the mindless bigoted ignorant moron.
Reply 210
Tombola
Fine.
But it only shifts to a different scenario.

Are you saying it's better to be raped by your family member, than to have engaged in the relationship willingly?

I can understand that you'd empathise with her, but the question still stands.

LOL no, please read my previous post again...I'm saying that the Austrian story caused such uproar even though it wasn't mutual, this 'lovey dovey' sick relationship is / was mutual which makes it worse. Rape isn't s good thing, neither is having kids with your father, but what I'm saying is we can understand the man was a sicko who tortured his daughter, nothing good about it simply identifies him as the villain which leads me to my second point. Should the father be empathised with for having a sexual attraction towards his daighter? HELL NO! Just like a brother and sister are a brother and sister not sexual partners.
Wiserommer
FORGOD SAKE! A brother and Sister having SEX......does this seem normal to you? It should be illegal. No we cannot control what people do but there must be a fine line between loving your sibling and having intercourse with them.

oh and i got bad rep again for expresssing my opinion, talk about cheap shots.

Yet further proof of my previous comment?

No it does not 'seem' normal, because I have been brought up in a culture in which incest is a huge taboo.
I can't imagine that the idea seems normal to anyone.

That doesn't make it wrong, and is in no way a valid argument.

I really do fail to see how incest harms anyone.
How exactly does it affect your life knowing that some people you don't know are having sex with their siblings?
Wiserommer

Me too. You would think we're living in Care Bear land. It seems to me that everyone is trying to be as liberal/lovey dovey/pixes elves and fairies as possible.
Reply 213
Wiserommer

What else do you have a problem with?
Reply 214
Antonia87
Me too. You would think we're living in Care Bear land. It seems to me that everyone is trying to be as liberal/lovey dovey/pixes elves and fairies as possible.

Can't you accept that they may genuinely be liberal and not just putting a show to provoke reaction?
Incest is no worse than homosexuality.

Actually, I guess homosexuality only has the likelyhood of mentally screwing up the kid they adopt, rather than genetically screwing up the kid they bear.
Reply 216
Antonia87
It is digusting. And what makes me quite sad is how the brothers wife has no idea...imagine how devastated she'd be.

What about the parents? I read in the article the parents were happy they got on, that made my stomach turn..if only they knew how 'close' the two ***** really were.
music is my girlfriend
Yet further proof of my previous comment?

No it does not 'seem' normal, because I have been brought up in a culture in which incest is a huge taboo.
I can't imagine that the idea seems normal to anyone.

That doesn't make it wrong, and is in no way a valid argument.

I really do fail to see how incest harms anyone.
How exactly does it affect your life knowing that some people you don't know are having sex with their siblings?

How about their parents/future children/future lovers? Take the story in question - what about Alison, the girl the brother ended up marrying? How utterly devastated would she be if she found out? Of COURSE it harms people. It damages families.
It saddens me how all those against the legalisation of incest just can't seem to even tolerate anyone who holds a different viewpoint, and instead conclude that we must all be mad and deluded and simply expressing these ideas to 'look good'.
Reply 219
nemesis08
LOL no, please read my previous post again...I'm saying that the Austrian story caused such uproar even though it wasn't mutual, this 'lovey dovey' sick relationship is / was mutual which makes it worse. Rape isn't s good thing, neither is having kids with your father, but what I'm saying is we can understand the man was a sicko who tortured his daughter, nothing good about it simply identifies him as the villain which leads me to my second point. Should the father be empathised with for having a sexual attraction towards his daighter? HELL NO! Just like a brother and sister are a brother and sister not sexual partners.

I'm having difficulty understanding how any relationship based on love (including 'normal' ones) can be worse than a relationship based on rape, abuse and hatred. But we'll just have to disagree.

Latest

Trending

Trending