46.54%
    Don't know
    6.45%
    Don't really care
    19.12%
    No
    27.88%

ReputationRep:
    If people are so opposed to incestuous relationships on the basis that any offspring of the relationship would have a higher incidence of genetic weakness or disease... are you considering banning sexual relationships between people who actually have such diseases? Because wouldn't their children be high-risk candidates for genetic defects?

I mean, obviously, incest is abnormal - as the 'norm' is not to get into sexual relationships with your siblings. But in many cultures, cousins marrying is perfectly acceptable, men marry their neices, etc. Obviously the sibling relationship is much closer, but ... WHY are we so disgusted by it? Is it just a knee-jerk reaction to something that is considered disgusting by society? Have we been conditioned to think this way, or is it a totally organic impulse to shy away from procreation with your close relatives? Is it a natural, 'biological' reaction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
    You're coming to all these conclusions without (giving) any reasoning to back it up. It's about as worthwhile as my saying 'It's come to my attention that if Wiserommer doesn't count to 10 in the next 18 minutes, then we are all fooked'. Yes, there is the (quite possibly entirely valid) argument that incestuous couples shouldn't reproduce, but society has reached a level at which our continued survival is not reliant on all those with the ability to bear children do so; looking at China, it would seem the case is quite the opposite in some places.

Just because you think something is disgusting, that doesn't mean it should be illegal.
    I do not need anything to backup my argument, any intelligent person would know its wrong. Look my conclusion is this, a brother and sister are blood related, they both come from the same mother and father. they should love each other as brother and sisters do, but it goes way beyond not being normal when they have a sexual relationship.

I've took a different point of view with regards to the people, who say that it should be accepted since it does happen. its common sense for most people to say "this is not right" and i agree with them whole heartedly, but for the people who i have mentioned, your meant to be the future of this country.

ReputationRep:
    Dude. People have been screwing their siblings since Day 1

ReputationRep:
    If incest was wrong then God wouldn't have made our cousins so damn attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nemesis08)
    Do you have any brothers is my last question. I don't want to insult you because you have your own opinion and I'm sure you know mine. Previously I said maybe it's a cultural thing when it comes to accepting but I take it back from reading these posts. I appreciate posters saying it's their right but please do not compare this to racism or homophobia, it's hardly the same thing. This probably has happened before but from my point of view it doesn't make it right. To those who are more accepting I suggest reading 'The God of Small Things', btw I'm not being cynical but brother and sister sleep together in the book and this caused uproar in India.
    Yes.
    Alright, let's drop the matter because I don't want this to turn into a war too.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think it should be totaly banned
    i think there is something a little bit weird if you've grown up with your sibling and have sex with them

but wasn't there two twins? who randomly met and fell in love and then found out they were related?

the media is trying to make incest more acceptable, to use an easy example Hollyoaks with Reece and his stepsister
    these sort of occurances are possible and i think as long as people are careful about having children i think in some cases it's fine.

Also if you imagine, say the amount of sperm donors there are and maybe the amount of non- nuclear families there are much more chances of meeting your step brother or sister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Of course its generated by society. I never said it wasnt. Its a society I live in. If I were living in a polar opposite society I would think differently, I'm sure. But I dont!
    Okay so now you've just dug yourself a hole by saying its a societal wrong "one which isnt normal and generates disgust", rather than a universal moral wrong "inherently bad". Thus coming to the conclusion , it is you, infact , who is wrong..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanisonfire)
    Let people go for it. It'll make family reunions way more interesting.
    Hahaha "Hey fancy seeing you here!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiserommer)
    I do not need anything to backup my argument, any intelligent person would know its wrong. Look my conclusion is this, a brother and sister are blood related, they both come from the same mother and father. they should love each other as brother and sisters do, but it goes way beyond not being normal when they have a sexual relationship.

I've took a different point of view with regards to the people, who say that it should be accepted since it does happen. its common sense for most people to say "this is not right" and i agree with them whole heartedly, but for the people who i have mentioned, your meant to be the future of this country.
    An intelligent person does not resort to "Eww its disgusting, therefore it's wrong" as their legal compass.

The reason you can't provide an arguement is because there is no arguement against it apart from the above. Any other route you take opens another can of worms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    Okay so now you've just dug yourself a hole by saying its a societal wrong "one which isnt normal and generates disgust", rather than a universal moral wrong "inherently bad". Thus coming to the conclusion , it is you, infact , who is wrong..
    No... I was admitting to the fact that society has played a vital role in shaping my opinions regarding incestual relationships.
    HOWEVER, I do think incest breaks down families and consequently, hurts a lot of people. The parents of the brother and sister would be crushed, as would other family members, children and partners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyHarry)
    If incest was wrong then God wouldn't have made our cousins so damn attractive.
    Please read your post next time before clicking on 'submit reply'

ReputationRep:
    Of course its generated by society. I never said it wasnt. Its a society I live in. If I were living in a polar opposite society I would think differently, I'm sure. But I dont!
    So... if you were living back in time when the other things were unacceptable. You'd happy agree that it's wrong and condemn those people?

Fine it's generated by society. But that doesn't mean you have to follow what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    So... if you were living back in time when the other things were unacceptable. You'd happy agree that it's wrong and condemn those people?

Fine it's generated by society. But that doesn't mean you have to follow what they say.
    ... and 349584674 years later something else will become acceptable what is totally unacceptable and illegal now,, and so on and so on and so on...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone read the book Fabulous Things? Very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lou*)
    ... and 349584674 years later something else will become acceptable what is totally unacceptable and illegal now,, and so on and so on and so on...
    Why not speed up that process?

Unless you want to say that homosexuality in theory was wrong in the past? If so, what has changed? Why has it changed?

I realise that some of you hate this arguement but it does raise a good point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdt)
    So is homosexuality.

The "not natural" argument does not work outside of religious convictions. Find another angle of attack.
    I'm not sure 'another angle of attack' is necessary. I question peoples motives in defending something that is so intrinsically wrong.

ReputationRep:
    No... I was admitting to the fact that society has played a vital role in shaping my opinions regarding incestual relationships.
    HOWEVER, I do think incest breaks down families and consequently, hurts a lot of people. The parents of the brother and sister would be crushed, as would other family members, children and partners.
    Im sure the families of the suffragettes were none too pleased and scandalised, does that mean fighting for womens votes was immoral?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    Why not speed up that process?

Unless you want to say that homosexuality in theory was wrong in the past? If so, what has changed? Why has it changed?

I realise that some of you hate this arguement but it does raise a good point.
    Why not to speed up that process ?? Because some things should NEVER become acceptable. We might end up accepting things such as murder/rape/etc., if it's done from a "good reason".
    Why and what has changed? Lines - there HAS to be some lines to which extent things are acceptable. (I'm not implying this only to this issue)

I'm sorry, I could write you an entire essay about this, and right now I'm really not bored enough. I don't mean to argue anymore but some posts really annoy/upset me, maybe it's better to stop reading this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lou*)
    Why not to speed up that process ?? Because some things should NEVER become acceptable. We might end up accepting things such as murder/rape/etc., if it's done from a "good reason".
    Why and what has changed? Lines - there HAS to be some lines to which extent things are acceptable. (I'm not implying this only to this issue)

I'm sorry, I could write you an entire essay about this, and right now I'm really not bored enough. I don't mean to argue anymore but some posts really annoy/upset me, maybe it's better to stop reading this
    I don't think this will ever become accepted anyhow, it has too much of an eww factor.

Murder and Rape... I'm sure these things would have been considered acceptable an extremely long time ago. The good thing is that we have moved on from that period of time, due to reasoning and understanding of human suffering being bad.

I'm sorry that you are upset but... don't you think these people recieve even more abuse and hatred? Don't you think they will be upset too being hated by such a large member of society? These are people too.

My problem with the belief is that it breeds hatred rather than compassion. They don't deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    I'm not sure 'another angle of attack' is necessary. I question peoples motives in defending something that is so intrinsically wrong.
    I question your complete disregard for logic. The world is becoming very morally relativistic and just like special relativity, there ain't no preferred reference frame here. Although a religious frame is indeed inertial :rolleyes:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.