46.54%
    Don't know
    6.45%
    Don't really care
    19.12%
    No
    27.88%

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I don't tend to agree with legislating against what two consenting adults do within the confines of their home, we have to remember the children born of incestuous relationships. It would be rather difficult to legalise sex between siblings, yet prevent them from having children (no contraceptive method has a 100% success rate). Therefore, it should remain illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fellas)
    But it's not illegal and the vast majority of people do it. You don't look at somebody drinking wine and think badly of that person, but if you saw a brother and sister kissing romantically you would. You have just defeated your own argument.
    I'm gonna pitch this question to you as well then -

If you ever have a son and daughter and you walk in on them banging each other are you going to be oh so supportive?

I'm guessing......no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    I'm gonna pitch this question to you as well then -

If you ever have a son and daughter and you walk in on them banging each other are you going to be oh so supportive?

I'm guessing......no.
    Well let's have a logical think about this.

Let's go back to 1900.

My daughter is going to wed. She is going to wed a black person. Society says, this is bad! Thus I'm angry and not happy about it.

Let's go to 1950.

My son wants to marry a woman. This woman wants to work and my son has to stay at home and we a house-husband. Society says this is bad, thus I'm not happy about it.

Let's go to 1960 or even now.

My son has told me he's homosexual. I've been told through my life (imagine you are/I'm 40+) that homosexuality is wrong. It isn't even legal in 1960. I'm not going to be happy about it.

I would fully imagine in the future that any safe, consensual sexual relationship is not looked down upon. If in 30 years, the taboo is still the same but my son went to me, I love my cousin. I wouldn't bat an eye-lid. If my son said to me, I love my sister. I would be more concerned. I would warn them against conception, and even encourage them to take some form of surgery to prevent it. After that, I don't care.

I'm bisexual. I haven't told my mother because quite frankly it doesn't matter, it's my business. If my grandparents knew they would probably hate me. If I were to marry a black person they'd probably hate me. Society at that time told them it was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    You can only be so relative. You cannot be relative to nothing, and there is a point where common decency and morality must step in, this case in question being one of them I think. Do you not just find incest such a horrible thought that any ideal theory goes out the window and it just has to be no ?
    Yes, when I turn off my brain and get in touch with my feminine side.

Logically speaking however there is barely any difference between incest and homosexuality. The same arguments that apply to homosexuality also apply to incest. If one is accepted I don't see why the other is not.

There was a point in time when cohabitation out of wedlock was considered such a horrible concept that any ideal theory went out the window and it just had to be shunned.

I concur with the poster above. Although I'm not too sure how you can surgically cure incest with the exception of making open incisions in major arteries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fellas)
    But it's not illegal and the vast majority of people do it. You don't look at somebody drinking wine and think badly of that person, but if you saw a brother and sister kissing romantically you would. You have just defeated your own argument.
    It's illegal to take drugs, so is underaged drinking, many countries are trying to minimize usage of alcohol and nicotine anyway.
    Honestly when I see someone totally drunk, doing drugs, etc. I think "f** your stupid".. and no i didn't defeated my own argument, you are assuming what I think of a person that drinks/do drugs, when you don't even know me.
    Both cases for me are morally wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConservativeNucleophile)
    Whilst I don't tend to agree with legislating against what two consenting adults do within the confines of their home, we have to remember the children born of incestuous relationships. It would be rather difficult to legalise sex between siblings, yet prevent them from having children (no contraceptive method has a 100% success rate). Therefore, it should remain illegal.
    You see that is actually a sensible argument for it being illegal. Not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I can see that it makes sense.

I guess another justification for incest being illegal is that those relationships often involve abuse of some sort. Of course, the abuse is already legal, but if it came to court it wouldn't necessarily be provable even if it is obvious it's going on. Having incest itself as an offence means that in cases like this the abuser can be punished even if there is no proof the relationship is abusive.

I think that's the main reason it is currently illegal. It seems to me that the courts don't really punish people who are in incestuous relationships that are clearly entirely consensual. There was that thing on TV about incest couples and that scottish couple basically just got told not to have sex again, but were still allowed to live together. In that situation there's nothing to actually stop them having sex as long as they don't explicitly tell anyone about it.

ReputationRep:
    oh **** i voted yes by mistake. i mean NO NO NO NO NO incest is just ****ing wrong

ReputationRep:
    oh **** i voted yes by mistake. i mean NO NO NO NO NO incest is just ****ing wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdt)
    Yes, when I turn off my brain and get in touch with my feminine side.

Logically speaking however there is barely any difference between incest and homosexuality. The same arguments that apply to homosexuality also apply to incest. If one is accepted I don't see why the other is not.

There was a point in time when cohabitation out of wedlock was considered such a horrible concept that any ideal theory went out the window and it just had to be shunned.
    I would be very surprised if incest was ever socially acceptable. I can understand homosexuality (although I'm not) but incest is just incomprehensible to me (although this could just be the the general feeling of society.) Whilst there is no logic difference between incest and homosexuality there is a 'real' difference to me and I guess the common social conscience of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pollystyrene07)
    Yes is the correct answer; You want it banned.

ReputationRep:

Haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothingspek)
    Yes is the correct answer; You want it banned.
    soz i meant i voted no by mistake. oh god im a *****. i might commit suicide now, im so ashamed of myself, but i am drunkj.

ReputationRep:
    northerners...

ReputationRep:
    soz i meant i voted no by mistake. oh god im a *****. i might commit suicide now, im so ashamed of myself, but i am drunkj.
    Classy, yet again

:no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothingspek)
    Classy, yet again
    oh yeah :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    You see that is actually a sensible argument for it being illegal. Not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I can see that it makes sense.

I think that's the main reason it is currently illegal. It seems to me that the courts don't really punish people who are in incestuous relationships that are clearly entirely consensual. There was that thing on TV about incest couples and that scottish couple basically just got told not to have sex again, but were still allowed to live together. In that situation there's nothing to actually stop them having sex as long as they don't explicitly tell anyone about it.
    Yes I agree with that too. That's why I voted "I don't know".

When I first saw this thread I thought; "Incest.... It should be bloody illegal". Then I read the article and I thought, what is really wrong with it?

The poll, and the whole discussion of this issue only scratches the surface, and as much as we would all like to think we know everything, we don't. This is complicated and even scientists don't agree on issues surrounding this. We still have poor knowledge on genetics and such like. Personally I don't have a problem with consenting adults partaking in incest but if they conceive then there is big problems. That of course is unacceptable for the child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    :no:
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Two consenting adults can do whatever they want, basically. I don't have a moral bugbear with incest- it just seems to be another variation (albeit a rare enough one in our society) on the huge graph of human sexuality. I am not attracted to any member of my family, and I admit I find it unpleasant when two siblings seem to be a bit too close lol, like that Same Difference brother and sister who were on X Factor or a similar show a few years ago. But its not for me to judge who loves each other. You cant help who you love.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.