Don't know
    6.45%
    Don't really care
    19.12%
    No
    27.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cantthinkofaname)
    gr8 gd to see u have seen the light at last!
    You've still yet to provide a good reason apart from the fact that it's disgusting to you. You can take that stance but I'll immediently stop arguing with you since it just becomes your own value system rather than one for society.

Face it. There's no reason to hate people who indulge in it. It's merely your own feelings that is clouding the issue.

And before you try attack me with the line: I'll participate in it.
    No, I don't condone it. I'm neutral. I don't care.
    For someone to engage in it must mean that it's natural for them. It's similar to homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    You've still yet to provide a good reason apart from the fact that it's disgusting to you.

Face it. There's no reason to hate people who indulge in it. It's merely your own feelings that are clouding the matter.
    many reasons have been provided, tell me, list why it should be right/legalised?

ReputationRep:
    1. Why is it illegal? So... You'd accept it if the UK suddenly enforced the one child policy? Laws should have reason behind them.

2. This excuse has been used for homosexuality, interracial, interfaith and countless other things.

3. Essentially the same as arguement 2. Same problem.

4. What the hell? So people live on earth to breed in your opinion? There's no such thing as a relationship without sex (wikipedia: asexuality)

5. According to whom? Personally I think you are just pulling statistics out of thin air. This is another arguement for 2 and 3.

6. This is the only valid reason that incest shouldn't have sex, but since when does love = sex? If these people took on a sexless life, you'd still be ranting your head off.

Also it has another problem where people don't seem to condemn people with genetic diseases from being together. You fully accepting this double standard?
    Actually, I dont think two people with severe genetic diseases should have children. Look at it this way, if two people with Parkinsons disease decide to have a child, all they are doing is giving that child a life of medication, physcial and mental hardship and other added difficulties. The child will be in and out of hospital all their life with disabilities that will result in ending their life.

So no, its not fair.

ReputationRep:
    many reasons have been provided, tell me, list why it should be right/legalised?
    Is there a law against throwing a ball in the sky?
    Is there a law saying that you must throw a ball into the sky?

If something has no real good reason against it. It should just be left alone, none involved with the law.

But no. Because of people's disgust towards it. They all rally to have it banned despite the fact that there is no real valid reason to make it illegal. The whole thing is based on emotional disgust. Laws shouldn't be based on emotions running high.

Else next thing we know. We'll start accepting an "eye for an eye" because peoples feelings of revenge are high.

What reasons that have not been refuted please?
    I've already argued against the ones provided. They aren't valid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Actually, I dont think two people with severe genetic diseases should have children. Look at it this way, if two people with Parkinsons disease decide to have a child, all they are doing is giving that child a life of medication, physcial and mental hardship and other added difficulties. The child will be in and out of hospital all their life with disabilities that will result in ending their life.

So no, its not fair.
    Your fellow TSR mates feel differently however. Just search the forums and you'll see that this double standard exists. It's why the genetics arguement against incest is horrible. How can someone hate incest because of genetic problems, but accept other relationships with the same thing. Talk about bias.

Now tell me if you believe love = sex. Without sex there is no relationship?

What about people who take on a life without children, are you still going to hate them? It certainly can't be for that problem.

ReputationRep:
    Your fellow TSR mates feel differently however. Just search the forums and you'll see that this double standard exists. It's why the genetics arguement against incest is horrible. How can someone hate incest because of genetic problems, but accept other relationships with the same thing. Talk about bias.

Now tell me if you believe love = sex. Without sex there is no relationship?

What about people who take on a life without children, are you still going to hate them? It certainly can't be for that problem.
    I dont accept any relationship which may put a child in danger or life long physical/mental misery.

Just to clarrify, I dont HATE people who participate in incest. I just dont condone it.
    Even if they decide NOT to have children, I do think that if a brother and a sister or a father and a daughter begin a sexual relationship they are putting the equilibrium of their family in jeopardy and not exactly being considerate. It hurts, confuses and upsets people and causes life long conflict. How often do we hear of an incestuous relationship ending well?

ReputationRep:
    There are, in my eyes, two risks with incest. One is unique to incest and the other is a more general risk that is present in any sexual or familial relationship.The first is the chance of a child being created where the genes of the parents are too close. The second is the fact that incest can form part of an abusive relationship.

If the relationship is 'healthy' and consensual, and no child is created than there is no inherent problem with a sexual relationship between parents/children and siblings. I would very much object to a parent preying on a child or even an under 18, as the fact that they are their parent has a very real possibility of confusing the feelings of the child, even if they are over 16. The very fact that the parent is in a position of authority makes it very unlikely that a sexual relationship with their child could ever be healthy, irrespective of the ages of the people involved. However, a sexual relationship between siblings that are close in age is perfectly acceptable to me as long as it is consensual and both people accept that an abortion is essential should the woman fall pregnant.

I'd like to see someone provide a solid argument against my position. In my experience, most people just say "eww, thats gross, you freak".

ReputationRep:
    I dont accept any relationship which may put a child in danger or life long physical/mental misery.

Just to clarrify, I dont HATE people who participate in incest. I just dont condone it.
    Even if they decide NOT to have children, I do think that if a brother and a sister or a father and a daughter begin a sexual relationship they are putting the equilibrium of their family in jeopardy and not exactly being considerate. It hurts, confuses and upsets people and causes life long conflict. How often do we hear of an incestuous relationship ending well?
    Neither would I. But I don't see incest as neccessary putting a child in danger since they are obviously more cautious than the general society due to the taboo. Do you think parents who engage in incest suddenly lose all compassion for their children, totally ignoring the fact that they may have medical disabilities? They are people just like you and me, only they are different on this aspect.

I don't condone it either, but I don't condemn it. It's something that people engage in, just like how some engage in homosexuality.

Lastly... Yes it might hurt family members. But there are countless of other things that do that as well. If you fell in love with your boyfriend, and your parents want you to leave him. Are you just going to leave him like that?

Many people have been put in this situation and many decide to leave because ultimately it's their life they are living. It saddening to see that two people in love are pulled apart just because the family are so against it. Should Romeo never have gotten together with Juliet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    There are, in my eyes, two risks with incest. One is unique to incest and the other is a more general risk that is present in any sexual or familial relationship.The first is the chance of a child being created where the genes of the parents are too close. The second is the fact that incest can form part of an abusive relationship.

If the relationship is 'healthy' and consensual, and no child is created than there is no inherent problem with a sexual relationship between parents/children and siblings. I would very much object to a parent preying on a child or even an under 18, as the fact that they are their parent has a very real possibility of confusing the feelings of the child, even if they are over 16. The very fact that the parent is in a position of authority makes it very unlikely that a sexual relationship with their child could ever be healthy, irrespective of the ages of the people involved. However, a sexual relationship between siblings that are close in age is perfectly acceptable to me as long as it is consensual and both people accept that an abortion is essential should the woman fall pregnant.

I'd like to see someone provide a solid argument against my position. In my experience, most people just say "eww, thats gross, you freak".
    That's quite true...
    The attachment between child and parent is already very strong without the romantic element. But do you feel that influence through this method is considered as abuse?

On 2nd thought: I'd already consider it somewhat wrong(emotionally) since they are in position of authority and it basically means the father is cheating on the mother...

ReputationRep:
    Neither would I. But I don't see incest as neccessary putting a child in danger since they are obviously more cautious than the general society due to the taboo. Do you think parents who engage in incest suddenly lose all compassion for their children, totally ignoring the fact that they may have medical disabilities? They are people just like you and me, only they are different on this aspect.

I don't condone it either, but I don't condemn it. It's something that people engage in, just like how some engage in homosexuality.

Lastly... Yes it might hurt family members. But there are countless of other things that do that as well. If you fell in love with your boyfriend, and your parents want you to leave him. Are you just going to leave him like that?

Many people have been put in this situation and many decide to leave because ultimately it's their life they are living. It saddening to see that two people in love are pulled apart just because the family are so against it. Should Romeo never have gotten together with Juliet?
    Well we all know what happened to Romeo and Juliet dont we? It ended in unnecessary tragedy and resulted in utter dispair.

ReputationRep:
    That's quite true...
    The attachment between child and parent is already very strong without the romantic element. But do you feel that influence through this method is considered as abuse?
    Clearly, pressuring a minor into sex and using your paternal/maternal relationship to them as a means of manipulation is abuse. However, could it be said that any parent/child, aunt/nephew, older sibling/younger sibling sexual relationship is also riddled with abuse?

Because of the often highly emotional nature of sexual relations, it is very difficult to see how someone's feelings could not be influence and clouded by their familial links to someone. It is also an observed fact that some family members in a position of authority can exert a huge level of influence on other family members even if everyone involved is a sane adult. It is a very difficult matter to judge, to be honest. However, I do feel that we shouldn't send a couple to Coventry simply because they have an incestuous relationship. We should first judge their relationship in terms of how it affects the people in question before we pour scorn on those involved.

Incest should be legal (no legislated for, but not legislated against)
    Abuse should be illegal/legislated against.
    Reproducing with anyone closer than a first cousin should be illegal/legislated against.

I also don't believe that anyone with a severe genetic condition should be allowed to have children. I don't believe anyone has a right to reproduce if severe health implications for the child could be reasonably foreseen. It is selfish and unfair. The problem with incest producing children is the risk of inbreeding over many generations which presents a very real risk to children.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's none of your business what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    I would be very surprised if incest was ever socially acceptable. I can understand homosexuality (although I'm not) but incest is just incomprehensible to me (although this could just be the the general feeling of society.) Whilst there is no logic difference between incest and homosexuality there is a 'real' difference to me and I guess the common social conscience of the time.
    It is slowly already becoming socially acceptable under the all-encompassing guise of "consensual sex between two adults/adolescents(!!!)". Just as homosexuality is "consensual sex between two adults/adolescents", incest is. So is sex with cars except that the latter doesn't need to give consent, then we move onto dildos, fences, computers, donuts, water bottles :woo:

The thing is, how many people would be open about an incestuous relationship? It doesn't even have to be socially acceptable, if two people who happen to have no moral qualms about it and some brains to go exist.

The "real" difference does exist obviously because of the very nature of incest but when insane libertarianism takes over as it already is, you can bet your arse incest will be the first thing to go up. Anyhow it tends to occur more between people who are blood related but haven't grown up together.

ReputationRep:
    Well we all know what happened to Romeo and Juliet dont we? It ended in unnecessary tragedy and resulted in utter dispair.
    Should it have ended like that though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    Because it's none of your business what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home?
    Again, the woman this thread has been based on sold her account of her relationship with her brother to a national newspaper. Thats not keeping it private is it. You cant do that and then not expect people to have an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Again, the woman this thread has been based on sold her account of her relationship with her brother to a national newspaper. Thats not keeping it private is it. You cant do that and then not expect people to have an opinion.
    I don't think anybody has a problem with you holding an opinion.

Some people think that religion is wrong, their opinion of the people practicing are that they are wrong, but how does their opinion have an effect on what faith they practice?

ReputationRep:
    She did it annonymously. :rolleyes:

By all means have an opinion. But have one based on reason and logic rather than "ewww, gross!".

The only logical and rational reason to make incest between two consenting adults illegal is potential genetic deformities. The same potential that's there for disabled people breeding, and that's not illegal. So either we should make disabled people reproducing illegal, or legalise incest, otherwise there's ridiclous double standards.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit late here, but I definitely don't think it can be outlawed. It's a private thing that no-one else should have any say on. I believe the only legal justification for it is incase children are born with problems, but apparently this is unlikely.

As long as it is consenting I don't think we have any right to judge; no matter how 'abnormal' you find it. Many people viewed homosexual and interracial relationships as 'abnormal' until very recently, but it is now common knowledge (among people with common sense anyway :rolleyes:) that such relationships cannot be legally prohibited.

I find that article really sad - they obviously loved and cared for eachother a lot, but just can't be together. Even though I cannot emphasise in the slightest, I competely sympathise with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    The only logical and rational reason to make incest between two consenting adults illegal is potential genetic deformities. The same potential that's there for disabled people breeding, and that's not illegal. So either we should make disabled people reproducing illegal, or legalise incest, otherwise there's ridiclous double standards.
    Yes, precisely (and I dont think it should be the former!)

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, thinking about about it, I think that article's fake.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.