46.54%
    Don't know
    6.45%
    Don't really care
    19.12%
    No
    27.88%

ReputationRep:
    I found that article strangely engaging, but as an older sister to a younger brother it did make me feel somewhat "sick". I just couldn't think of him in that way, though it is the same with very close boy friends - I find it hard to see them sexually. Although, as a few people have agreed, who are they hurting? I suppose it is their choice, and there seems to be no obvious lasting damage, he is happily married and she is in a loving relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desperate Prayer)
    Remind us how they are fundamental?
    Fundamental in that siblings have sexual relations with others, not each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Fundamental in that siblings have sexual relations with others, not each other.
    And im sure that will continue to be the case. This isnt a case of "opening the floodgates", but more an acknowledgement that it can and does happen.
    Besides, as we see here, the two are not mutually exclusive.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't care less what other people to aslong as they stay away from me. I'm not going to impose my laws and morals on other people.

ReputationRep:
    No. I think people should be free to do as they wish providing it is consenting.

Its not the business of society, and definitely not of government, what people wish to get upto in their spare time. Sure it might seem icky but only a rational argument can prevail rather then "ew i dont like this" "ew how disgusting".

I do sympathise with the defects argument but that only happens if it is repeated over generations.

When I was small I asked a Sunday school teacher if Adam and Eve's children married each other since they were the first people on earth. She just laughed and didn't reply

This is funny too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3105)

Normal is a relative thing.
    no pun intended?:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loyal32)
    Hey ppl...just found this article in times

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle4332635.ece

Read this article and i was like thats just wrong..any thoughts on the topic
    The way he crept into her bed....eurgh...just gave me the heeby jeebies! :yucky:

ReputationRep:
    There is something I find wrong about that...just the idea of having a relationship THAT close with someone you've known since you or they were born...it doesn't seem right somehow. I understand that it's consensual, and I wouldn't have a problem with someone who 'came out' as incestuous, but there is just a little part of me that thinks 'eew'.

ReputationRep:
    If it's consensual (and the age people are able to decide for themselves is subjective, don't try to dictate that), then anything two people do together is perfectly fine in my opinion. And honestly, the thing about bad genetics is rubbish- it's not like the human race intentionally breed to create the strongest beings possible anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I find incest disgusting, but they aren't hurting anyone are they? So let them be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BNP Tasha Djanovic)
    Anyone should be able to do whatever they want to whoever they want as long as both are consenting.
    I totally agree. The state shouldn't get involved in matters like this which don't impact on anyone apart from both consenting parties.

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a point where society has to stop and think about what we now accept. I don't think that this is a way of life that should be allowed, for the fact that if children were to be a result, it is likely that they would in some way be handicapped, be that mentally or physically.

Its not yet known what impact incest has on a child's brain functions; what would happen if a child, born as a result of incest, was so mentally incapacitated that they were deemed "evil/insane"?

I think the society we now live in strives not only to include the minorities [and no, I'm not just talking about race here] but also to "accept" whatever it is that deems them to be a minority- but I think this really is a step too far. There has to be a point where things are always going to stay unacceptable, otherwise what would be left? The "anything goes" attitude is teetering on highly dangerous- If incest is allowed, why not child abuse? Why not murder? Whats to stop it?

Now, I for one am open minded and accepting, something that can be quite rare in the area I grew up in [sheltered, 99% white, mostly conservative], but this is not acceptable...not at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em_maK)
    I think there's a point where society has to stop and think about what we now accept. I don't think that this is a way of life that should be allowed, for the fact that if children were to be a result, it is likely that they would in some way be handicapped, be that mentally or physically.

Its not yet known what impact incest has on a child's brain functions; what would happen if a child, born as a result of incest, was so mentally incapacitated that they were deemed "evil/insane"?

I think the society we now live in strives not only to include the minorities [and no, I'm not just talking about race here] but also to "accept" whatever it is that deems them to be a minority- but I think this really is a step too far. There has to be a point where things are always going to stay unacceptable, otherwise what would be left? The "anything goes" attitude is teetering on highly dangerous- If incest is allowed, why not child abuse? Why not murder? Whats to stop it?

Now, I for one am open minded and accepting, something that can be quite rare in the area I grew up in [sheltered, 99% white, mostly conservative], but this is not acceptable...not at all.
    So, do you believe we should prevent all people with genetic defects from reproducing?

There's a huge and obvious difference between allowing two consenting adults to have sex and allowing an adult to abuse a child, or one person to kill another. Don't be ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    So, do you believe we should prevent all people with genetic defects from reproducing?

There's a huge and obvious difference between allowing two consenting adults to have sex and allowing an adult to abuse a child, or one person to kill another. Don't be ridiculous.

No, of course not. But the repercussions [socially, as well] of being a child from incest are huge. Can you imagine growing up, in today's society, with your parents being brother and sister, father and daughter, etc?

Perhaps the world can be accepting of their initial relationship, but once a child enters the picture I expect it would be a very different situation.

Naturally yes, two adults who both want the same thing is a lot different than child abuse; my point is not the relationship itself [which are mostly kept secret] but societies view point on it- if it becomes legal then other things may be seen as acceptable, which are not.

I have seen and read quite a bit about these sort of relationships, down to the "disorder" which may cause it, especially if the siblings/relatives have not grown up together- and if the couple is happy together, then I wouldn't act to destroy that- but if society accepts that, on the same terms as a non-incestuous relationship, then I think thats very dangerous; if its approved before it already happens then that could influence people into starting or not stopping such a relationship, even if one party was not happy with it- but because it is acceptable, it would be seen as ok.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna try not to make any judgments here but the entire concept of incest doesn't seem right to me.

I couldn't even imagine having feelings like that for my sister, let alone actually have sex with her.

Just the thought of it makes me feel ill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em_maK)
    No, of course not. But the repercussions [socially, as well] of being a child from incest are huge. Can you imagine growing up, in today's society, with your parents being brother and sister, father and daughter, etc?

Perhaps the world can be accepting of their initial relationship, but once a child enters the picture I expect it would be a very different situation.

Naturally yes, two adults who both want the same thing is a lot different than child abuse; my point is not the relationship itself [which are mostly kept secret] but societies view point on it- if it becomes legal then other things may be seen as acceptable, which are not.

I have seen and read quite a bit about these sort of relationships, down to the "disorder" which may cause it, especially if the siblings/relatives have not grown up together- and if the couple is happy together, then I wouldn't act to destroy that- but if society accepts that, on the same terms as a non-incestuous relationship, then I think thats very dangerous; if its approved before it already happens then that could influence people into starting or not stopping such a relationship, even if one party was not happy with it- but because it is acceptable, it would be seen as ok.

So you admit the defects argument is effectively useless, and move onto the issue of social acceptance. Similar arguments were deployed against mixed race relationships - would you agree with those?

No, incest becoming acceptable would not make murder socially acceptable. Just as homosexuality becoming acceptable didn't, for all the cries that it would lead to the downfall of society.

You've yet to give a real reason why such acceptance is "dangerous", you've no causal link. Your argument about one forcing the other similarly carries little weight in my eyes - no one would think it was "ok" just because incest itself was acceptable, just as rape at the moment is not considered acceptable even though sex is.

ReputationRep:
    I dont see it wrong morally.
    I do see a problem with the risk off what could happen to potential offspring though...

ReputationRep:
    I just don't know, I don't understand it, and I've never really encountered it in actual life. I doubt it's very common, but I suppose since it's obviously very taboo, people aren't exactly going to be open about it. While I feel in my heart of hearts that it probably does a lot more damage than good, I have no authority on the subject, and therefore can't form an informed opinion, especially when it comes down to whether or not it ought to be legal. I just have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Also, id just like to point out something...

Whats the world coming to?

Well, i was under the impression that incest worldwide was becoming less and less acceptable except in certain Asian communities.

ReputationRep:
    Two consenting adults? How is this the states business?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.