Anonya
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I have applied for vet med starting in 2021 (as I'm going to take a gap year) and have an offer from Liverpool which is my first choice. However, I'm really struggling at the moment and was wondering if anyone else is having doubts about applying? I am trying to balance A levels, a social life, a job, owning my own horse (I'm aware this is a very first world problem to have) and pretty poor mental health. The last 2 months have been the worse in my college years so far as I've been unbelievably unmotivated, so far in the Christmas holidays I've done one chemistry paper...
At this rate I know I wont get 3 A's, but I'm thinking should it be worth it? Should I be sacrificing my happiness and mental health for 3As which are only going to lead me into a very demanding 5 year course which is unlikely to help my mental state?
I'm just looking for opinions as my mum says I should "just stick it out" for the next 6 months but this is coming from someone who never did A levels and isn't a teenager in present society with all the demands etc thankyou xx
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I wouldn't worry about motivation pending your work experience - if you enjoyed what you saw and did then I would say vet is for you
I HATED A levels - they were so boring, required minimal real effort just learn the formula (do a past paper, read the markscheme, do another, read the markscheme... the layout and answers are all the same)

You may struggle with a job, horse and vet school - perhaps consider using the gap year to save so you don't need to work whilst in uni.
Regarding doing work over Christmas - I haven't done a single vet related thing since December 20th and I'm a 3rd year, there is nothing wrong with taking a break!

PS Liverpool is great any questions just ask
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonya)
I have applied for vet med starting in 2021 (as I'm going to take a gap year) and have an offer from Liverpool which is my first choice. However, I'm really struggling at the moment and was wondering if anyone else is having doubts about applying? I am trying to balance A levels, a social life, a job, owning my own horse (I'm aware this is a very first world problem to have) and pretty poor mental health. The last 2 months have been the worse in my college years so far as I've been unbelievably unmotivated, so far in the Christmas holidays I've done one chemistry paper...
At this rate I know I wont get 3 A's, but I'm thinking should it be worth it? Should I be sacrificing my happiness and mental health for 3As which are only going to lead me into a very demanding 5 year course which is unlikely to help my mental state?
I'm just looking for opinions as my mum says I should "just stick it out" for the next 6 months but this is coming from someone who never did A levels and isn't a teenager in present society with all the demands etc thankyou xx
Are you mental health problems being addressed? It may be that your poor mental health is causing you to be unmotivated and it would be better to sort any problems now rather than wait until University. I personally had a really hard time and was forced to repeat a year of sixth form, due to mental health reasons- please don't let it get to that stage and seek help now (this didn't affect my application).

If you are really wanting to be a vet then you will have to cope with what can seem like a juggling act - and you will have to make sacrifices somewhere for long term gains. What is your priority long term? What can you do to reduce the pressure off yourself?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (678)
33.7%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (857)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.18%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise