Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I lost mine at 19, even if I could have lost it way earlier.. Age doesn't matter, it's about when you're ready..
    I'm now 20, and have several friends who haven't lost theirs, some as "old" as 22..

So being a virgin at 18 is not unusual, and your friends should keep their mouths shut and leave you to decide when you are ready..

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you when you want to lose YOUR virginity, not your "friends".

Stay cool.

ReputationRep:
    However rare true love may be, it is less so than true friendship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilac23)
    I've turned 18 recently and I know I'm already above the average age at which people have sex (16?). Now my friends keep pushing me to have sex and laugh at me because I don't want to have sex yet, because I somehow don't feel ready yet . Each of my friends had lost theirs between the ages of 13-16.
    I'm right now on my gap year with two of my friends and even while travelling they keep on trying to link me with guys we meet.
    Anyone else in the same position?
    going to be 23 in a couple of months and my friends still do the same with me. I had a few serious relationships but never felt ready to lose my verginity, and even if they laugh at me or make jokes about it, I just laugh with them and make jokes too about it...
    don't sleep with somebody to please somebody else, it's just wrong...

ReputationRep:
    Never be pressured into having sex. If ya not ready dont have sex, simple as that.

Your friends sound like idiots, but in a weird way i see where there coming from i think, they want to to be involved in the things they do, and want u to be like them, which is wrong.

Wait till ur in a relationship then have fun easy eh lol

Also dont ashamed about being a virgin, infact its a good thing. Not everyone loses there virginity at 16. Be proud.

I've turned 18 recently and I know I'm already above the average age at which people have sex (16?). Now my friends keep pushing me to have sex and laugh at me because I don't want to have sex yet, because I somehow don't feel ready yet . Each of my friends had lost theirs between the ages of 13-16.
    I'm right now on my gap year with two of my friends and even while travelling they keep on trying to link me with guys we meet.
    Anyone else in the same position?
    It's 16.6, but that doesn't matter at all!
    It's about when you feel ready, and you'll feel a lot better waiting than losing it to some randomner and regretting it.
    Personally I think 13-16 is too young, 13-14 year olds especially should not be having sex, but each to their own.
    You're only 18, you're not an anomaly!
    I'm 17, but I've chosen, after much (really, A LOT) of deliberation to not have sex with my boyfriend, as we don't love each other and I believe sex should be kept between two people in love (although barely anyone seems to share my views anymore), so despite the fact that I'm slightly worried about being a virgin forever if I never find someone who loves me, I'm going to wait, as I know I'll regret it if I don't.

Don't worry about it, it's not like you're 30 and not ready for sex or something; you're still very young, and should wait until you're ready, as sex is about you (and your partner, of course).

ReputationRep:
    You're supposed to thrust yourself; if your friends push you, it takes the fun out of it. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's not up to them. I was eighteen before I had sex, and I was in a long-term, loving relationship.
    Don't let them dictate what you do, do it when you're ready and you find the right guy.
    If they keep taking the mick cos of it, they ain't worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have awful friends. Do it when you feel right, not before.

ReputationRep:
    I have the solution.
    Have sex all together, yourself, your friends, and the guy they try to introduce. You'll make everybody happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    I think you have awful friends. Do it when you feel right, not before.
    they also think that if I end up as a virgin over 20, guys will start running away from me because of that.

ReputationRep:
    Most caring guys will value a girl who is sensible enough to have kept her head screwed on. I don't know if you're religious, but most people with faith will have a tremendous amount of respect for you if you've still got your virginity at 20. I'm Christian-ish but one thing I've always stood by is that I'd never have sex just because I feel in a rush to do it-you'd regret it horribly for the rest of your life if you did that. I'm 17 and proud of the fact that I haven't lost my virginity yet. I want my first time to be with someone that I truly care about and can see myself being with for the foreseeable future. I don't believe it's necessary to wait until marriage, but I think you need to have deep feelings for the person you give it to. Her virginity is the most precious thing that a girl can ever give to a guy, so he'd better be worth it IMO.

ReputationRep:
    they also think that if I end up as a virgin over 20, guys will start running away from me because of that.
    They can think what they like, it's not true.

Check the other threads, there's a 23 yr old girl there who's been asking if her being a virgin would put people off. I think 1 reply out of 40 has been saying it would...

Oh, and by the way, don't know any virgins over the age of 17? Hi, I'm 22.

ReputationRep:
    lost it between 13 - 16? eww i lost mine at 17

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call someone who would laugh at me, because I wouldn't want to have sex yet, a friend tbh.
    They think you give it too much importance? It's your life, your body and your choice and friends should support you even if you decided to wait until marriage
    Anyway, if you'll do it just because your "friends" are pressuring you, you'll end up regreting it for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore them. You're not that old anyway, plenty of people are in their early or mid 20s, and I doubt the true average is below 19.

ReputationRep:
    I would encourage you to do it. Once I had sex I felt much more comfortable with myself and generally better off. I'm not saying sex is a magic bullet, but people on here seem to think it's only negative.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I think guys would respect you more if you had waitied until you were ready or had found the right person.

It seems to be the 15-17 year old boys (not all, just some) who have this attitude that being a virgin is a disadvantage.

Don't let your friends decide for you. Personally I think they are too young to be having sex, especially before 16.

Do what you feel comfortable with when you feel comfortable with it and ignore you're friends' presure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steelmole)
    I would encourage you to do it. Once I had sex I felt much more comfortable with myself and generally better off. I'm not saying sex is a magic bullet, but people on here seem to think it's only negative.
    I don't want to do it outside a relationship, and I'm not in one atm.
    Don't want to have a ONS/casual sex.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to do it outside a relationship, and I'm not in one atm.
    Don't want to have an ONS/casual sex.
    Good for you. Thats exactly the 100% correct attitude to have.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.