The Student Room Group

Computer science cardiff languages?

What languages do you learn in years 1, 2 and 3?
I'm currently in AS, I don't do computer science and started learning python in September. I absolutely hate it. But I love HTML and I want to learn more about CS in general. I also love maths. But i don't wanna do a maths degree.

I know you learn python, html and java in yr 1, but do you still have to continue python in year 2 and 3 also?
I have the basics down I think, it's just putting it all together to answer questions.
Reply 1
Ah only realized now this was in the wrong forum :colondollar:
Reply 2
I leaned C++ as beginning
Which year of university(or high school)are you in?
Do you know what it is about Python that you dislike? e.g. Maybe a bad experience with teaching/learning? Or the language itself? Or the programming/problem solving stuff? (programming is definitely "hard" for everyone when they start out - it takes a lot of time and practice before it really starts to click and make sense)

HTML isn't a programming language since you can't use it to write programs. It's a markup language used to create the layout and content for webpages instead, so while it's certainly useful for that, it's not really a core part of computer science, although it's a useful skill for web design.

On the other hand, programming languages like Python are all about computational thinking skills, which are absolutely fundamental to CompSci; the subject is really all about logic, problem solving, algorithmic thinking, abstraction, pattern recognition, etc. These are all things that are put into practice with programming.

Realistically speaking, If you really dislike Python then you might also dislike all of the other 'mainstream' programming languages, so I would think carefully before choosing to study CompSci for 3 years, although it really depends on why you dislike Python - it might be that you haven't had enough time yet for it to start to 'click' - new ways of thinking take a long time to sink in.

Just make sure you realise that whichever programming language(s) you use, it'll all end up being similar once you get past the superficial differences - programming languages are like 'dialects' or 'grammars' (close analogy to the differences between human languages), but all boil down to the same constructs and ways of thinking.

For example, you'll find all of these in every every programming language (since these are core computer science concepts):

Decision making with IF-ELSE structures

Repetition using 'FOR' and 'WHILE'.

Boolean logic (true/false, AND/OR/NOT, greater/less/equal)

Data types (text strings, integers, real numbers, etc.)

Sequences or other complex data (Lists/arrays, dictionaries, records/tuples)

User input/output and File input/output

Functions

etc.. (many, many more...)

(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest