Turn on thread page Beta

Norwegian practice thread! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by croissantfever)
    Jeg vil heller ha et glass øl.
    Jeg også, men jeg må skrive en essay

ReputationRep:
    It's surprising how just how much, as a linguist, I can actually pick up on what you're saying, despite not knowing a word of Norwegian. I can understand a fair bit of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    It's surprising how just how much, as a linguist, I can actually pick up on what you're saying, despite not knowing a word of Norwegian. I can understand a fair bit of it.
    Yeah, having German really helps a lot. I can understand LOADS of spoken and written Norwegian because of my A level in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Yeah, having German really helps a lot. I can understand LOADS of spoken and written Norwegian because of my A level in it.
    Really? I can't see any German similarities in the Norwegian on this thread, unless I'm just not good enough at German yet :p:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, lots of people speaking Norwegian here, I'm impressed.

Studerer dere norsk på fritiden eller på skole/universitet?

ReputationRep:
    Ni borde lära er finlandssvenska. Det är framtidens världsspråk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Really? I can't see any German similarities in the Norwegian on this thread, unless I'm just not good enough at German yet :p:
    Trust me, there are many, many similarities :yep:

Chevina: Jeg studerer norsk på fritiden, fordi kjæresten min er Norsk og jeg vil snakker med familien hans (I know there are some mistakes there, please correct me someone )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Trust me, there are many, many similarities :yep:

Chevina: Jeg studerer norsk på fritiden, fordi kjæresten min er Norsk og jeg vil snakker med familien hans (I know there are some mistakes there, please correct me someone )
    Snakke, not snakker. And languages do not have capital first letter in Norwegian. Other than that, perfect

ReputationRep:
    Jeg snakker ikke så bra norsk, men jeg er dansk så jeg kan nesten skrive på mit eget sproget... Bokmål er kjempebra, nynorsk suger!

Jeg bor i Norge, nord for Bergen i en lille by der hetter Flekke, hvor jeg går i skole. Neste år vil jeg gjerne på universitet i England eller Skottland!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chevina)
    Snakke, not snakker. And languages do not have capital first letter in Norwegian. Other than that, perfect
    Argh, need to check the old verb endings. That's a mistake I make all the time. And I am ver :excited: that 'familien hans' was right! :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Argh, need to check the old verb endings. That's a mistake I make all the time. And I am ver :excited: that 'familien hans' was right! :proud:
    'Hans familie' would be awkwardly formal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chevina)
    'Hans familie' would be awkwardly formal.

Haha, that's the way we say it in Danish. We make so much fun of the Norwegian way (when they're not present )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slothuus)
    Haha, that's the way we say it in Danish. We make so much fun of the Norwegian way (when they're not present )
    Ah, likewise. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I have a loooong way to go. I understand a bit of grammar, but my exposure to Norwegian is very limited so I know no words whatsoever!

And having never being exposed to German also doesn't help. Stupid studying Spanish and French. I understand a lot of what is said though, I guess after you study languages you get a knack for finding the meaning to things.

ReputationRep:
    Well, remember, that whilst German is probably more helpful - a knowledge of English is no disadvantage. After Dutch, the Scandinavian languages are English's nearest mainstream "living language" relatives.

Nå... nu får ni fortsätta på norska...

ReputationRep:
    fritiden is free time right? in that case jeg også studerer norsk på fritiden!

ReputationRep:
    fritiden is free time right? in that case jeg også studerer norsk på fritiden!
    Yep that's right.

ReputationRep:
    I may try on occasions to translate what is said to English, just to get some practice, because I would not be able to do it the other way yet. So don't cringe too much! Especially you Malin

So I'll start with this.....

jeg også studerer norsk på fritiden!

I gather from context of some sentences også means also.

I also study Norwegian in my spare time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLandOfNorwegia)
    I may try on occasions to translate what is said to English, just to get some practice, because I would not be able to do it the other way yet. So don't cringe too much! Especially you Malin

So I'll start with this.....

jeg også studerer norsk på fritiden!

I gather from context of some sentences også means also.

I also study Norwegian in my spare time.
    woop woop! i appear to have made sense!

ReputationRep:
    woop woop! i appear to have made sense!
    Woah! Don't get ahead of yourself, I know very little :p:

Where did everyone pick this language up?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 6, 2010

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.