The Student Room Group

resitting a levels and graduate medicine?

Wonder if anyone is alive at this time 🧐, will post tomorrow if not

So I'm currently resitting my a-levels and going into undergraduate biomedical science, I initially wanted to go into medicine but academically things didn't pan out well (hence the resitting).

I know graduate medicine is very competitive and I also know how varied entry requirements are but... is having resat my a-levels or redone year 13 place me at a disadvantage to those who didn't as a grad medicine applicant?
Original post by ZombieTheWolf

So I'm currently resitting my a-levels and going into undergraduate biomedical science, I initially wanted to go into medicine but academically things didn't pan out well (hence the resitting).

I know graduate medicine is very competitive and I also know how varied entry requirements are but... is having resat my a-levels or redone year 13 place me at a disadvantage to those who didn't as a grad medicine applicant?

TSR night owl medic crew checking in.

It won't make a difference unless the GEP has specifically stated they do not accept A level resits (in which case you shouldn't apply there).

More info here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

If you can get 3 As in your resit, the advice on here is generally to reapply for medicine (which at this stage would mean a gap year, no bad thing as you can use it to get lots of relevant experience, relax a bit and earn some money). You'd have to apply to universities that accept resits - there are quite a few of these now, look through similar threads to find a list. It's quicker, cheaper, and less competitive than graduate entry.
Original post by jzdzm
If you can get 3 As in your resit, the advice on here is generally to reapply for medicine (which at this stage would mean a gap year, no bad thing as you can use it to get lots of relevant experience, relax a bit and earn some money). You'd have to apply to universities that accept resits - there are quite a few of these now, look through similar threads to find a list. It's quicker, cheaper, and less competitive than graduate entry.

It's too late the deadline passed before I sent my application off and did my admission tests :frown:
Reply 4
It's too late the deadline passed before I sent my application off and did my admission tests :frown:

Then take another gap year if you get AAA and reapply. More choice, lower competition and saves 3 years in a degree you don't really want
Original post by GANFYD
Then take another gap year if you get AAA and reapply. More choice, lower competition and saves 3 years in a degree you don't really want

I was thinking of doing that. I still have a plan to sit the UKCAT next summer and it it goes pretty well I'll go from there and make a decision. Of course I'm not making any decisions right now, no point. But thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending