The Student Room Group

Apparently ran a red light - police stopped me

So at 1am, roads were empty I was approaching the lights about to take a right. The light turned amber just as I passed the line which I'm certain of. Police van saw me on the left set of lights and pulled me over. Did their checks ect and said will receive a letter in the post most likely 3 points.

Will I definitely receive the letter and is there any course ? Can they really say I ran it without any proof?
Just to add, he stated that I shouldnt of had my phone on the passenger side as its illegal. Bit strange to me

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Daniel19761
So at 1am, roads were empty I was approaching the lights about to take a right. The light turned amber just as I passed the line which I'm certain of. Police van saw me on the left set of lights and pulled me over. Did their checks ect and said will receive a letter in the post most likely 3 points.

Will I definitely receive the letter and is there any course ? Can they really say I ran it without any proof?
Just to add, he stated that I shouldnt of had my phone on the passenger side as its illegal. Bit strange to me

It's your word against that of a Police officer.

You've been caught red handed.
Well their evidence was witnessing the offence firsthand. Amber also means stop and I’m guessing at 1am there wasn’t anyone directly behind you to make stopping hazardous.

The only reason this happens is because people a) aren’t paying attention or b) are going too quick to react. I’m not being holier than thou, I did the same within 6 months of passing but changed how I approach lights accordingly.
The officers word is the evidence
And yes. Your phone should not be to hand whilst you’re driving. It should be in the glove box or your bag.
Reply 4
Original post by Sammylou40
And yes. Your phone should not be to hand whilst you’re driving. It should be in the glove box or your bag.

The law states it should not be used in the hand, not that it should not be to hand whilst driving.

I would argue in this case the officer was incorrect regarding the phone.
Original post by Sammylou40
And yes. Your phone should not be to hand whilst you’re driving. It should be in the glove box or

Really? It cant be on the passenger seat?
Reply 6
Really? It cant be on the passenger seat?

It's not exactly the best place to keep it because it could look like you've been using it, but it's not illegal.

Get yourself a decent phone cradle.
Kinda sounds like the cops have just been sitting waiting for an excuse and it's bad luck. Did you admit it at the time?
Reply 8
Don't admit or make it seem like you're admitting guilt as most officers carry body cams which can and will be used in court. When you receive this letter it will also state how to appeal, I'd recommend lawyering up and telling your police force you are, you'll find that the charge will be dropped in most cases. Police forces are stretched thin in terms of resources and it is unlikely their going to spend resources over a fine and 3 points. As long as there is no photographic or video evidence of you running the red, and you did not admit or imply you did when you spoke to the officer, then it is really his word against yours. Most likely was a slow night for the officer and wanted to ruin someone else's night.
Kinda sounds like the cops have just been sitting waiting for an excuse and it's bad luck. Did you admit it at the time?
Reply 10
Original post by yelir
Don't admit or make it seem like you're admitting guilt as most officers carry body cams which can and will be used in court. When you receive this letter it will also state how to appeal, I'd recommend lawyering up and telling your police force you are, you'll find that the charge will be dropped in most cases. Police forces are stretched thin in terms of resources and it is unlikely their going to spend resources over a fine and 3 points. As long as there is no photographic or video evidence of you running the red, and you did not admit or imply you did when you spoke to the officer, then it is really his word against yours. Most likely was a slow night for the officer and wanted to ruin someone else's night.

They don't need photographic evidence. There will have been two officers in the van. Two witnesses.
Original post by IWMTom
They don't need photographic evidence. There will have been two officers in the van. Two witnesses.

Is it always that simple though?

Last time i was in court there was 12+ officers due to give evidence, not 1 showed up, angry judge. The separate statements of 4 officers also instantly vanished when i instructed my solicitor to start a claim against them.

Might still be futile appealing, but i'm not in the habit of allowing police away with crap like that, I might still end up fined, but they'll have nice writtren allegations of dishonesty to explain to their promotion boards.
Reply 12
Original post by StriderHort
Is it always that simple though?

Last time i was in court there was 12+ officers due to give evidence, not 1 showed up, angry judge. The separate statements of 4 officers also instantly vanished when i instructed my solicitor to start a claim against them.

Might still be futile appealing, but i'm not in the habit of allowing police away with crap like that, I might still end up fined, but they'll have nice writtren allegations of dishonesty to explain to their promotion boards.

I'd imagine the van would have a dashcam too.
I think you probably just have to accept the punishment with a good grace.
Original post by StriderHort

Nah, I kept disagreeing but he was rather stubborn so I just accepted it
Original post by yelir
Don't admit or make it seem like you're admitting guilt as most officers carry body cams which can and will be used in court. When you receive this letter it will also state how to appeal, I'd recommend lawyering up and telling your police force you are, you'll find that the charge will be dropped in most cases. Police forces are stretched thin in terms of resources and it is unlikely their going to spend resources over a fine and 3 points. As long as there is no photographic or video evidence of you running the red, and you did not admit or imply you did when you spoke to the officer, then it is really his word against yours. Most likely was a slow night for the officer and wanted to ruin someone else's night

Yeah seemed like that tbf. Problem is, was two officers, so really dont feel like I'll have a chance at appealing. Is there any chance of the traffic light course?
Get a dashcam on your car.

If you'd had one, you'd have been able to review the footage and if it backed up your version of events, the police could stuff their letter where the sun don't shine.
Reply 17
Yeah seemed like that tbf. Problem is, was two officers, so really dont feel like I'll have a chance at appealing. Is there any chance of the traffic light course?

If you look at the RAC's website (https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/cameras/traffic-light-cameras/) it states:

The current penalty for failing to stop for a red light is usually an £100 fine and 3 points on your licence. The points will stay on record for four years.

If you fail to sign or respond to a NIP, or provide the details of the correct offending driver if disputed, you could face prosecution, six penalty points and a maximum fine of £1000.

Most constabularies also offer educational courses to motorists who are caught running a red light.

I guess it'll depend on your local police force. I assume its similar to being caught speeding, if you are a first time offender you can take a course and a fine and you should be okay.

On the website it also states that photographic evidence is used, however apparently traffic lights also have sensors which can detect if a vehicle has ran a light when its red. (full info on the website)

I guess you'll just have to suck this one up.
Original post by IWMTom
I'd imagine the van would have a dashcam too.

True, I'm taking it on faith that OP is telling the truth and crossed it literally as it turned amber, i'd stick to my guns and say I hadn't broken the rules. If they're going to ticket me they're going to ticket me but I'd look to cause trouble afterwards.

I've never really dealt with road cops tbf, really just wanted to point out that i've seen police witnesses and statements vanish like smoke when challenged.
Bit harsh of the rozzer, especially at night