The Student Room Group

How long would it take volunteering at a charity shop to get a real job

don't care about helping other people out. don't care about 'giving back' Only doing it for experience as I need a job ASAP. Everywhere I apply they reject my offer. Don't want to do it at all but need work, dropped out of university half way through third year. No A levels or decent qualifications because I skyved out of college as soon as I got an unconditional offer to university.

Just want a job as quickly as possible because I hate living with my mum and also want to save up a bit so I can visit South America.

Got really bad depression right now, don't want to work at all but need money as soon as possible so I can leave my boring city and hopefully move to South America for a few months.
Reply 1
It will depend on the types of jobs that you're currently trying to apply for, and how much experience they're asking for (usually listed in the job description).
Original post by Gumtis
don't care about helping other people out. don't care about 'giving back' Only doing it for experience as I need a job ASAP. Everywhere I apply they reject my offer. Don't want to do it at all but need work, dropped out of university half way through third year. No A levels or decent qualifications because I skyved out of college as soon as I got an unconditional offer to university.

Just want a job as quickly as possible because I hate living with my mum and also want to save up a bit so I can visit South America.

Got really bad depression right now, don't want to work at all but need money as soon as possible so I can leave my boring city and hopefully move to South America for a few months.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble finding work and are feeling depressed. It can be difficult when you don't know when the opportunity's going to come.

You could have a look at traineeships, these are unpaid work placements, often in places like charities that give you some workplace training and a reference. They're specifically designed for people with not many qualifications or much experience and are a good way of getting something concrete on your CV. You can look for them on the Gov website...

https://www.gov.uk/find-traineeship

Or, if you wanted to go straight into paid work and are worried about not having many qualifications, you could look at the apprenticeship vacancies in your area. Again, they're often designed to attract people with little or no experience who want to get a foot in the door somewhere. There's a link to the apprenticeship search on the traineeship page.

Hope this helps, best of luck with it all - Mark

Quick Reply

Latest