The Student Room Group

Access to HE HELP!!!

Okay so ...

I've been out of education for 6 years and in September enrolled in an Access to HE in Psychology, English and Law as I want to go to university and study Forensic Psychology.

Anyway, I've sent off my application and have applied for Brighton, Portsmouth, Kingston, Roehampton and Royal Holloway (aspirational choice). So far I am getting Merits and Passes and I am on track to meet the entry requirements for at least Brighton so I am not worried about that.

However, I only have a D in my Maths GCSE but I got a B for English Lit, C for English Lang, Merit (B) for Science and CC for Health and Social Care and a Level 1 functional skills in Math which I did during my apprenticeship although I'm not exactly sure why as it is equivalent to a D??? So I have 5 good GCSE grades and I am doing well in my current course. Do you think my D in Maths will affect my chances of receiving offers? I'm classed as a mature student so it does say will be considered case by case so really I'm seeing if anyone has been in a similar situation with regards to their GCSE results and being a 'mature' student who can put my mind at ease a little.

Thanks
Original post by cjmills96
Okay so ...

I've been out of education for 6 years and in September enrolled in an Access to HE in Psychology, English and Law as I want to go to university and study Forensic Psychology.

Anyway, I've sent off my application and have applied for Brighton, Portsmouth, Kingston, Roehampton and Royal Holloway (aspirational choice). So far I am getting Merits and Passes and I am on track to meet the entry requirements for at least Brighton so I am not worried about that.

However, I only have a D in my Maths GCSE but I got a B for English Lit, C for English Lang, Merit (B) for Science and CC for Health and Social Care and a Level 1 functional skills in Math which I did during my apprenticeship although I'm not exactly sure why as it is equivalent to a D??? So I have 5 good GCSE grades and I am doing well in my current course. Do you think my D in Maths will affect my chances of receiving offers? I'm classed as a mature student so it does say will be considered case by case so really I'm seeing if anyone has been in a similar situation with regards to their GCSE results and being a 'mature' student who can put my mind at ease a little.

Thanks

Grade 1 is not enough. Nearly all students for all courses require GCSE English and Maths.
Normally they require you to have it at the time you make your ucas application.
You should be working out an alternative now, either resit GCSE Maths or do L2 FS Maths or both.
Be wary of getting passes on access your really need to be up at the merit level.
I would find the fact you havent checked, researched or been told about your maths vulnerability disappointing.
I dont see what being a nature student has got to do with it. You still have time to sort it out, but it would have been better if youd started at the beginning of the access course or earlier.
Gcse maths and English is a requirement. Just resit again. I got the same grades for English lol. Maths is tough but possible to pass
Original post by cjmills96
Okay so ...

Thanks

Hi there @cjmills96

I'm not too sure about our entry requirements beyond the Tariff points, but I'd suggest reaching out to our admissions team who may be better able to advise you and let you know, if needed, exactly what you are missing etc.

Forensic Psychology is part of the Faculty of Business and Social Sciences and the admission team can be reached at [email protected]

All the best!

- KU rep and final year law student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending