Is Pharmacology at University a good idea?

Watch
hannah2402
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I've been looking at tonnes of different courses for Uni and honestly, this is one of the only ones that stood out to me.
I don't have a background in science though, so how would this affect my chances of getting onto the course, I'm studying Psychology, English Language, Film Studies and Core Maths.
What are the job prospects of doing Pharmacology? Would it be easy to find a job in the area or would I have to switch to medicine/pharmacy after doing a degree?
My predicted grades also aren't great, I'm on BCCB but I'm applying once I get my actual grades so hopefully, they'll be better, so would I have a chance at getting onto a Pharmacology course?
Any help is appreciated! Thanks
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I don't think there is any course in pharmacology which accepts that combination of a-levels... perhaps you should look into a foundation course you can later move onto pharmacology with? I've looked and some ask for science a levels and others are vague so you'll have to call up after the 2nd of Jan and ask if your a-levels are ok.
ChillBear
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by hannah2402)
I've been looking at tonnes of different courses for Uni and honestly, this is one of the only ones that stood out to me.
I don't have a background in science though, so how would this affect my chances of getting onto the course, I'm studying Psychology, English Language, Film Studies and Core Maths.
What are the job prospects of doing Pharmacology? Would it be easy to find a job in the area or would I have to switch to medicine/pharmacy after doing a degree?
My predicted grades also aren't great, I'm on BCCB but I'm applying once I get my actual grades so hopefully, they'll be better, so would I have a chance at getting onto a Pharmacology course?
Any help is appreciated! Thanks
My recommendation would be to not do pharmacology. It's well known that many degrees don't actually lead directly to careers and pharmacology is one of them. If you wanted to make a living from pharmacology you'd have to enter into academia or use the degree in a role that's not relevant (think of manager position at Aldi where they look for postgraduates with any degree).

Unfortunately, you're not learning the subjects required for pharmacy. You'd have to be doing sciences and maths, most universities post their requirements so have a look what you'd have to study.

In your situation I'd either try to change my subjects (if you can), study a degree and use it for a role that looks for postgraduates (Aldi managers earn 40k+ from what I've read), or enter an apprenticeship with good career prospects (think air traffic control, power linesman, BAE systems).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.74%
I'm not sure (2)
1.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (39)
31.45%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (58)
46.77%

Watched Threads