Has the Premier League declined?

Watch
Zeetingman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just my personal opinion but I feel like over the past five years the premier league has lost it's competitive edge. I don't put this down to the standards set by Man City I just feel like too many teams in the league don't compete. We've gone from Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea and City fighting for the league to City/Liverpool the past 2 seasons. In a nutshell I just feel like literally only Liverpool, City and occasionally Chelsea want to win the league. This season probably highlights my point the most too many clubs are either in disarray or need a rebuild the likes of West Ham, Everton, Southampton etc. It's like there's just too many awful teams and a handful of quality teams I personally put this all down modernity and capitalism.
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think Football at the top level in general has declined, lower league football is so much better and more competitive these days.
bb2699
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Yeah 100%, it used to be a lot more competitive.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
That is not the tendency in Premier League, but also another European football leagues, in Bundesliga, La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A too. But in comparison to those leagues, the Premier League - apart from the mentioned two years - was the balanced one in terms of competition. But I know this feeling. It is the pure boringness to see season by season always the same teams winning the league and fighting for the Champions League trophy. The financial differences and the gaps between the smallest and greatest clubs are so huge that I don't believe in a fair and balanced competition anywhere anymore. And the fact that the football clubs and all the more the majority of players alienated with the fans was the main reason why I retired from this sport. More competitive leagues are an illusion for people who want the good old times back, when the football was not commercialized in that extent it is nowadays. In short: a utopia.
Last edited by Kallisto; 11 months ago
HLForeman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I really don't understand how anyone can think the top leagues in Europe are in decline. I think the Premier League this year is a bit of an outlier with Liverpool running away with it, but in terms of how entertaining the league is, only the Bundesliga has seen more goals than the Premier League this season.

In terms of competitiveness around Europe, 4 points seperate the top 4 in the Bundesliga, with RB Leipzig in 2nd, Getafe are 3rd in La Liga, Lazio are a point off 1st in Seria A with Inter topping the table having not won the league in a decade! If anything things are starting to heat up again in Europe.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It depends by what you mean by declined.

Yes it been less competitive for English clubs at the top in terms of numbers fighting for the title. The quality at the bottom of the table is much better (as clubs are flush with so much TV money).

In the middle, some clubs are on the way up and some on the way down.

In Europe, we've been much better - last season we had Spurs/Liverpool in CL final and Chelsea/Arsenal in the EL final. Which would suggest the quality is better compared to their counterparts in Europe.

Just because Man Utd and Arsenal are currently **** doesn't mean that the whole league has declined, just means they have.
username5162064
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I think its been a poor league this season but thats because alot of teams are rebuilding

I think the fact the 4th place team as already lost about 9 games says it all
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (194)
58.26%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.74%

Watched Threads