Turn on thread page Beta

(Please keep me anon because I'm embarrassed)

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a problem. My problem is that Im basically very jumpy and nervous ever since I was tricked into playing a game which turned out to be an exorcist-style screamer. I hate those things, they leave me incredibly scared of little things for days on end.

Anyhow, I get left in my house alone every day, and Im always scared that someones in the house, Im even scared of the hoover, because when I switched it on the other day it made a screeching noise, like the screamer game.
    I'm scared of the dark, Im scared that someone's under my bed or in the cupboard.
    I never used to be like this, it's all happened since some "friend" sent me that game.

I used to have Anorexia and my doctor nearly prescribed me some tablets for anxiety then, I was just wondering if anyone thought they would help now? I'd love to be fear free

ReputationRep:
    I constantly think my house is being assailed by demons or assassins when im home alone. Usually put it down to an overactive imagination though.:rolleyes:

Cant say i know enough to be able to apply that to you too, but anxiety disorders contains much more than just being nervous. So id say the chances are slim. But i dont know you or your situation well enough.

ReputationRep:
    I would say no, maybe it's paranoia? but read the spoiler defining anxiety from Wiki:
    Anxiety (also called solicitude) is a psychological and physiological state characterized by cognitive, somatic, emotional, and behavioral components[1]. These components combine to create the painful feelings that we typically recognize as anger, fear, apprehension, or worry. Anxiety is often accompanied by physical sensations such as heart palpitations, nausea, chest pain, shortness of breath, stomach aches, or headache. The cognitive component entails expectation of a diffuse and certain danger. Somatically the body prepares the organism to deal with threat (known as an emergency reaction): blood pressure and heart rate are increased, sweating is increased, bloodflow to the major muscle groups is increased, and immune and digestive system functions are inhibited (the 'fight or flight' response). Externally, somatic signs of anxiety may include pale skin, sweating, trembling, and pupillary dilation. Emotionally, anxiety causes a sense of dread or panic and physically causes nausea, diarrhea, and chills. Behaviorally, both voluntary and involuntary behaviors may arise directed at escaping or avoiding the source of anxiety and often maladaptive, being most extreme in anxiety disorders. However, anxiety is not always pathological or maladaptive: it is a common emotion along with fear, anger, sadness, and happiness, and it has a very important function in relation to survival.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take medication again that you aren't on right now without asking your doctor about it first, as there might might other complications there. Having said that, I think your best bet is too see someone about your anxiety, which was surely a problem before the screamer game rather than something the game caused, because for most people a game wouldn't affect them so badly for days.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.