Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I've had a few bad, very bad module grades (one fail which I won't be allowed to resit) and I'm wondering to what extent it could prejudice my postgrad application(s) even if my average and eventual degree class are much higher. :confused:

Thanks.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Depends how relevant the course you failed is to the course you want to do. Depends how strong the rest of your application is eg work experience, final grades, research proposal, references. Post grad applications are generally assessed on the basis of the overall package, you have one weak part, but if other parts are very strong....

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, i've done pretty bad in quite a lot of my modules this year and last year but if I do well next year I can easily get a low-high 2:1, I didn't even know my other years could detriment my application .

ReputationRep:
    Well not everywhere asks for transcripts. I'm in a similar position, but no idea how I can go about asking if somewhere wants transcripts. It's like asking if they do random drug tests! (In so far as asking makes you look suspicious )

ReputationRep:
    They normally concentrate on your final year marks as far as I know.

I recently e-mailed LSE regarding a similar issue, I was told they generally "look at the overall classification and, if available, the final year marks". I have a pretty poor average in my second year (around 57), but over 70 in my final year, so I'm hoping they won't mind too much. I have heard from a number of sources that generally, they only really look at final year grades.

Having said that, if it is a very competitive course and they need a reason to opt with one student over another, I guess first/second year grades could well come into it.

ReputationRep:
    I would be surprised if final year exams were that relevant as normally applications and offers are made before 3rd year exams are even sat. But yes later marks are more important than earlier ones and if you don't apply until after you sit 3rd year exams then they will be considered.

ReputationRep:
    So if I have some pretty crap 2nd Year grades, would I be better off waiting until late to apply so that my 3rd Year grades can be taken into account? Or does delaying my application make success less likely since there will be less places available by the time I apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interpol_student_aber)
    So if I have some pretty crap 2nd Year grades, would I be better off waiting until late to apply so that my 3rd Year grades can be taken into account? Or does delaying my application make success less likely since there will be less places available by the time I apply?
    Hard to say as:
    i)You don't say what course you are applying for and where.
    ii) What your 2nd year grades are
    iii) What 3rd year grades you expect.

Have you just finished the 2nd year?

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished the Second Year.

ReputationRep:
    I second Paulwhy. Your first and second year grades matter a lot if you're applying early in your final year, less so if you apply after you've finished.

I'm assuming the aber student's studying politics - if so, any funding will close around Jan/Feb, but most of the less competitive deadlines are around March-June. So provided you don't want funding, you could probably hang on a bit until your first term's marks are back.

Oh - and for every course I looked at, transcripts were compulsory.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    One of the key issues will be does your academic reference view your academic potential as positively as you hope for? If Nicholas Wheeler writes you an epic reference for a place on an MPhil and your research proposal in on humanitarian intervention, or any other of the Aber big names (of which you have plenty) give you strong support, your poor first and second year marks could well vanish, provided to do get it sorted in the third year.

ReputationRep:
    First and second year marks are taken into account, especially if your third year marks are not on the transcript. Like Ilex said, if you're applying once you've graduated then it wont matter as much as you'll have your final degree classification on top of all 3 years' worth of grades.

Saying that, my first year results was pretty naff and second year ones were ok ish but still got the offer that I wanted. Grades just play one part of the whole package for PG applications.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what your predicted/final grades are. I failed a subject in my undergrad, and got a couple of questionable grades, but it didn't seem to matter in the overall scheme of things..

ReputationRep:
    I wondered about this as I have a few bad marks on my transcript but Ive got my 2:1 now, which I can attribute to my 3rd year being the best by far.

The thing is, how would you deal with it in your application?. Like in your personal statement, should you just not mention those marks and discuss only your strengths, or should you try to explain why you didn't perform better?

ReputationRep:
    My advice is don't mention them, ever. Focus on your strengths. If they really need clarification, they'll ask you at interview (if there is one).

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe I even mentioned my grades in my 'mission statement' except to highlight the fact that I'd done well in Latin (very relevant to the PG course I was applying for). Just talk about your enthusiasm, interests and relevant reading/conference attendance/experience, and let your grades speak for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    I don't believe I even mentioned my grades in my 'mission statement' except to highlight the fact that I'd done well in Latin (very relevant to the PG course I was applying for). Just talk about your enthusiasm, interests and relevant reading/conference attendance/experience, and let your grades speak for themselves.
    You had to submit a transcript though, I take it, Angelil? As you say though, there's no point apologising for a couple of slip-ups in the personal statement - it just wastes space that could be spent telling them how fantastic you are and how desperate you are to do the course.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I did have to submit a transcript

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much. I got a 49 in one of my modules and still got accepted to Cambridge. As long as it looks like a blip. Or one bad semester that you can explain it will probably be okay.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.