The Student Room Group

How do I know if I am mentally stable to begin a new relationship with my best friend

In 2019 I have been in 3 relationships, 2 of which are probably just rebounds from the first. At the beginning of the year I was in a committed relationship with “C” and we broke off in April time. We were long distance and have been together for almost a year. When we broke up in April, I went through the darkest and the most depressing moments, I have completely lost myself. He was my first love and that was my first heartbreak so it broke me and shattered my heart into a million pieces. Then my ex before him came back and of course I felt super alone and had no one but he was there for me, he slowly caught feelings again then we began dating in June. Throughout the time were together I felt no connection and no love, it was more the sexual attention so soon after, about 3 weeks later we broke up because deep down I knew it was a rebound. Then during the summer I thought about “C” all the time and how I still missed him and clearly I wasn’t over him. When I was beginning to move on and focus on myself, another guy comes along. Let’s name him “B”. I want looking for anything but I think I was missing the attention and “B” came in a time when I was down and needy Without much thinking, I went into a new relationship with “B”. Obviously, it didn’t last long because I didn’t “love” him, not the way I loved “C” anyways. Soon after, about a month later we broke up because we both felt distant and there weren’t any real connections there. Now its December and I’ve been single for 3 months, my best friend, “O” told me that he had feelings for me and have had them for about a month now. Surprisingly I felt the same towards him, the week before his birthday when we kissed, I realised that I liked him and that I had feelings for him but never did anything about it as I thought he would never like me back as we are best friends. On his birthday, he initiated the first move and reassured each other that this feeling is mutual.

Although I like “O” so much and have such strong feelings about him, I am having second thoughts because I am also talking to other guys. Not in the same way with “O” but I don’t stop it when these guys flirt with me and tell them that they like me yet I don’t flirt back either. I feel like a terrible person and I am leading them on. However I cannot seem to find myself telling them to stop and its maybe because I crave the attention and I feel so insecure because of how broken I was since my first heartbreak. I am super confused and don’t know whether to go ahead with “O”, he’s such an amazing guy and we were best friends so I think we will have a good dynamic, we get along great and we know everything about each other. At the same time I cherish and value our friendship way too much for it to be ruined. Its too complicated but I don’t think he sees it the way I see it. I am not sure that after all tat has happened throughout the year, I am still capable of pouring my love into someone who I actually like this time. I am scared to enter into a new relationship because I don’t want to be hurt and especially how I actually like this guy, and that he’s my best friend. I don’t want to ruin anything and I care about “O” so much, which is why I feel like I am a terrible person for talking to other guys and not putting and end to it. “O” has assured me that the feelings are mutual but I don’t know how our new relationship will work. With work, school and the reality, I don’t now how relationships work anymore. I have lost myself too many times and I am scared to commit into something that will only end up hurting me. Part of me still misses and thinks about “C” so I am unsure whether have fully let go of him or am I still not over “C”. 2019 has changed me so much: at the beginning of the year I would have been super loyal and fully committed however now I am not being loyal and doubting my commitment. I have learnt that I cannot trust guys and has built up this representation that they will always hurt me. I have lost most of my hope and faith in relationships and probably just tired of it. I don’t know whether to begin a new relationship with “O” and how it is going to work. I am so torn and tired. I believe I might be ready to begin something new but I think I should also start trusting and being positive and that it might be time I finally move on to something new. What do I do ? Please help me.
Can you do a shorter version? Maybe bullet point it?
Instinct imo says 3 relationships in a year sounds a lot of hassle, upheaval and too many.
How about spending some time just having a rest and working out who you are and what you want, instead of falling into yet another one? If you have one with your BF remember that friendship will never be the same if it doesnt work.
I wouldn't recommend getting involved in a fwb or any sexual relationship with your best friend.
Too much risk of hassle from getting sexually involved with a friend, coworker, housemate or an ex.

Quick Reply

Latest