Need help for re-sitting Computer Science..

Watch
daloo11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Basically, I did bad in my Computer Science A-level and couldn't get onto the course I wanted last year, my school Exam Officer said that I can resit my Compuer Science under that centre as a private candidtate no problem, so I toook a gap year and spent the last 5 months studying for my exam.

She told me via email a couple of weeks ago that she just found out that I can't sit the exam as a private candidate as I need exam material only students of the school have access to, and I can't have it as a private candidate.

Online colleges have also told me I would need to get the material from the centre that I sit the exam at.

As it stands, i've wasted 5 months studying for an exam I won't be able to sit, and I wont be able to get onto a computer science course. Doesn anyone know a way around this? Thanks.

(AQA exam)
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Computer Science is only open to centre candidates but the solution to that is for the centre to enter you as a centre candidate I've done it before for an ex-student re-sitting. You'll already have appeared in their league table stats so your result won't count for them in 2020 so it's not going to affect them and it's very little hassle for them - I'd only have refused to do it if the prospective candidate had been a pain in the neck whilst at school. You just need to agree with the EO and head of Computer Science about getting access to the pre-release info.

However, you'll almost certainly have to carry forward the mark you got for the NEA last year as re-sitting that is a real issue for candidates not being taught at the centre.
Last edited by Compost; 1 year ago
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is this about the on screen exam that aqa computer science students have to do for paper 1 where you get some preliminary material beforehand. Surely the school will have access it to tho like on E-AQA or something of that nature but then again for AQA computer science is not open to private candidates. As mentioned above the best thing to do is for the school to enter you as a 'centre candidate' but the final decision is down to the management at the school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (97)
10.73%
Lack of purpose or motivation (112)
12.39%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.87%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (49)
5.42%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (100)
11.06%
Financial worries (62)
6.86%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.54%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.19%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (87)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (74)
8.19%

Watched Threads