How did you get A*/A at A-Level when studying for Psychology (AQA)?

Watch
I'mTryingMyBest
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys! I need help getting better grades on my Psychology exams. It's not that I don't know the stuff I just can't get more marks on certain questions. Any advice/tips on exam technique? And also what do students tend to overlook when studying for Psychology? Thanks for your help

Edit: Happy New Year to everyone reading this! I wish you all the very best this year!!
Last edited by I'mTryingMyBest; 1 year ago
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by I'mTryingMyBest)
Hey guys! I need help getting better grades on my Psychology exams. It's not that I don't know the stuff I just can't get more marks on certain questions. Any advice/tips on exam technique? And also what do students tend to overlook when studying for Psychology? Thanks for your help
I did OCR but exam technique is the same regardless of exam board, really. You need to be doing as many past papers / practice questions as you can. Hand them to your teacher and get them marked. Look at the feedback or ask to go through your answers with your teacher so you know where you went wrong. Repeat this until you're getting the grades you want consistently. You should also look at the examiner reports for previous exams as this contains information on what students did wrong.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
some tips:

1) use evidence to back up every claim you make
2) be evaluative (if the question calls for it) e.g. ethical issues or small sample size etc.
3) wider reading to get top marks
4) get feedback from teachers on where you're missing out on marks
I'mTryingMyBest
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I did OCR but exam technique is the same regardless of exam board, really. You need to be doing as many past papers / practice questions as you can. Hand them to your teacher and get them marked. Look at the feedback or ask to go through your answers with your teacher so you know where you went wrong. Repeat this until you're getting the grades you want consistently. You should also look at the examiner reports for previous exams as this contains information on what students did wrong.
Thanks so much for your advice, I'm going to start doing that this coming year. How often would you suggest I go my teachers with essays? I really hate to feel like I'm bothering people. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
I'mTryingMyBest
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
some tips:

1) use evidence to back up every claim you make
2) be evaluative (if the question calls for it) e.g. ethical issues or small sample size etc.
3) wider reading to get top marks
4) get feedback from teachers on where you're missing out on marks
Thanks for your advice! Yea we have to evaluate a lot in the exam aha!
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by I'mTryingMyBest)
Thanks so much for your advice, I'm going to start doing that this coming year. How often would you suggest I go my teachers with essays? I really hate to feel like I'm bothering people. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
As often as you want. Your teachers are there to help you. I think I did about 1 or 2 a week.
username4881438
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As often as you want. Your teachers are there to help you. I think I did about 1 or 2 a week.
it depends on the teacher . My teacher takes forever to mark our exams and if u give her an essay to mark she will give it back in like a month or longer
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AmberDalia)
it depends on the teacher . My teacher takes forever to mark our exams and if u give her an essay to mark she will give it back in like a month or longer
In which case you need to be gently reminding them. After a week, ask about it. Then ask every few days.
I'mTryingMyBest
Rep:
?
That's a lot! But whatever it takes to get a good grade in Psychology. I'll start off with one every two weeks just to see how it goes. I'll write it out then type it, just in case it gets lost somehow. Thanks again for your advice!!
Anxiousnerd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm currently doing psychology, but one thing my teacher has shoved down my throat is practicing research methods. It's 50% of paper 2 and can come up in other sections (making it like 25% of final grade). If you practice them, you'll notice questions they tend to nearly always ask every year. I'd especially recommend practicing the 9/12 markers, these are ones where you are given an experiment to plan out. They give bullet points to focus on.
With research methods though, corrections are key. Don't do them all at once, do them one at a time, giving them to your teacher to correct. Then start the next set of questions.
phantomdiarrhea
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
These essay plans helped: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resourc...plans-11925039

And these free exampro questions: https://alevelsresources424893.wordp...and-year-2-a2/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.85%
Uncertainty around my education (93)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (84)
10.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (104)
12.68%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.88%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.49%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (90)
10.98%
Financial worries (57)
6.95%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (38)
4.63%
Exposure to negative news/social media (52)
6.34%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.05%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (79)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (65)
7.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise