The Student Room Group

Missed deadline due to medical issues

Hi! I was wondering if there is someone who could advise me. Due to my medical issues and severe pain during the term which resulted in unexpected surgery and after recovery complication I've missed my deadline for one module essay. It happened during christmas period so there is no one at uni to help me or advise me really. I've managed to submit extenuating cirstumstances form and it was accepted but I am not sure what to do. I'm third year plus international student and as this is first time something like this happening I dont know what to do and I am really worried I cant graduate on time this summer now. Is there any policy for thisy or maybe possible to ask for new deadline? I am not fully recovered yet but now I should be able to write my essay and go back to normal regime... i would really appriciate any help or advice!
Original post by Ha456
Hi! I was wondering if there is someone who could advise me. Due to my medical issues and severe pain during the term which resulted in unexpected surgery and after recovery complication I've missed my deadline for one module essay. It happened during christmas period so there is no one at uni to help me or advise me really. I've managed to submit extenuating cirstumstances form and it was accepted but I am not sure what to do. I'm third year plus international student and as this is first time something like this happening I dont know what to do and I am really worried I cant graduate on time this summer now. Is there any policy for thisy or maybe possible to ask for new deadline? I am not fully recovered yet but now I should be able to write my essay and go back to normal regime... i would really appriciate any help or advice!

Your university WILL have a very clear policy on this, you just need to find it in your course handbook or on line and look for detail on how to proceed. It will vary a bit from place to place but a well documented medical problem will always be taken into account and a deadline extension is a common fix for this. Email your course leader now so its in their in box for the start of term.
Original post by Ha456

Nothing to worry about and you have already done the right thing by informing your department and submitting an ec form. If it has been accepted then it is normal to have requested an extension and to have given them an idea of how long you want. My advice is be honest, provide medical evidence and then be realistic how long it will take you to find time to write the essay. In these situations it is a common mistake to not ask for enough time and thereby having to ask again or find you are rushing the work. Explain why you need x amount of work and how the operation and recovery have affected your studies. It also needs to tie into when you return to lectures as well so it all looks credible.

Because it is just coursework they should have the flexibility to get it marked before finals and for you to graduate on time. Keep them informed but focus on your recovery if it has seriously disabled you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending