Abs_02
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,
So, I got a C in the mock exam of year 12, Sociology of education, and research methods I genuinely don't know how but I deviate! Anyway, I am stuck I don't know how to revise for sociology at all or even where to begin there are so many different theorists and it's really content heavy. I have been making notes but it's regurgitating information I’m using other sources such as the Revision guide on amazon and Hodder education books or revise sociology, but I feel like it’s not enough revision to be doing for an A grade and I cannot for whatever reason get my head around using the textbook.
I feel like I’m not doing enough revision for sociology and I seriously need advice and help because I'm aiming for a (A) but I feel like I can't even appropriately revise for the subject!!
So, can we all share the methods of how you are or have revised for it!
Thanks in advance
_xChlox_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Past paper. I’m telling you. Past papers, essays, and essay plans. You can take the past papers and change the question to give yourself more things to practise or you can ask your teacher for some example questions.

Start off by just answering the questions using resources/textbooks and as time goes on you’ll start to realise that you don’t need to turn to your book as much or think hard about sociologist that suit the question. If you can see if your teacher will mark them ! I have an amazing sociology teacher who will mark all my questions and give constructive feedback.

You can memorise as many names of sociology and research about Oakley or Bourdieu until your brain hurts but none of that is any use if you can’t APPLY your knowledge. Sociology is about being able to apply sociological theories, maybe a theory didn’t directly address the view in the question but how would they interpret it ?

I hope this helps ! Inbox me if you need any more help and I’ll do the best I can ! Sociology is my fav subject and I know you’ll get there
Abs_02
Rep:
?
yea you're right,
I should be doing more practice questions!!
but according to my teacher, it's a waste of valuable resources that I should be using in the exam season apparently!! but as you said I could change the questions around and then I’m practicing every topic!
Thanks, so much for this Chloe
_xChlox_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Abs_02)
yea you're right,
I should be doing more practice questions!!
but according to my teacher, it's a waste of valuable resources that I should be using in the exam season apparently!! but as you said I could change the questions around and then I’m practicing every topic!
Thanks, so much for this Chloe
I can see where she’s coming from, I don’t think it’s a waste but I would deffo recommend saving some for exam season - I have done a lot of the past papers for my mocks in lessons but I never do all the past papers that are available ! Plus there is legit always more questions you can think of that could come up ☺️ Out of curiosity what exam board are you ?
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’ve only done step one, which s securing your knowledge base and making revision resources of the content. Now you need to move into step 2, essay plans and practice questions. This is what I do for geography a level and the ways of revising are similar. You should attempt some practice essays/ practice questions, or at least plan answers too them!
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As everyone else has said, essay questions are what you need to do now. Do an essay and get it marked, if your happy with the result, file the essay in a folder. If your not happy with the result, look in textbooks and online to widen your knowledge and attempt the question a week or so later. Then get that marked. With that essay marked either file it or redo. As you near exams, get out all the filed essays and read through them over and over. If you feel you need to improve an essay or have more to add, redo that essay and get that marked.
This is how I got from a low D to a high B in 10 weeks in English literature A Level.
Practice, practice, practice.
Good luck!
Abs_02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chloe_xx01)
I can see where she’s coming from, I don’t think it’s a waste but I would deffo recommend saving some for exam season - I have done a lot of the past papers for my mocks in lessons but I never do all the past papers that are available ! Plus there is legit always more questions you can think of that could come up ☺️ Out of curiosity what exam board are you ?
Happy New Year by the way!!!

AQA it is!!
how do you inbox on here do you know??
_xChlox_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Abs_02)
Happy New Year by the way!!!

AQA it is!!
how do you inbox on here do you know??
Happy New Year to you too !

I’m on OCR for sociology ☺️ & I’ve inboxed people before but I can’t remember how 🙃 Sorryyy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (368)
67.15%
No (180)
32.85%

Watched Threads