MrMunch19
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
We saw at the latest general election the English nation throw away party allegiances and vote for the English nation leaving the EU. The Scottish nation voted as one to leave the UK state and the Welsh were somewhere in the middle, not sure what to do.

With the rise of nationalism breaking the old paradigm of right-left economic and social policy, is it time for the English nation to free itself from the Empire it built and become a self-governing nation once again.

It is fair to say England has a lot of problem, basically all of them caused by the creation of the English Empire and the British state. The English people gained an Empire at the expense of their nation. The English now understand that the Empire wasn't worth it and they want their nation back.

They don't want to be flooded with Irish-Scottish-Welsh-Jewish-European-African-Asian immigrants, they don't want to be the banking or financial capital of the world and all the evil that comes with that, they don't want influence in Scotland or Wales or Ireland or Europe, they just want to be left to live as they please and work for each others benefit, for the benefit and love of their people.

The English nation has been paying for an Empire for too long and it is time for that Empire to wound up and the English people allowed to assert themselves once more.

AngryRedhead hilrho
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Something like that
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Something like that
Well it appears that the original comment/question has been pulled so perhaps you could enlighten us as to what the English nation is something like.
I'm assuming it was some uncomplimentary dig at brexiteers because you agree with it but either the op doesn't have the courage of his convictions or the mods have deemed it too much even for on here.
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Well it appears that the original comment/question has been pulled so perhaps you could enlighten us as to what the English nation is something like.
I'm assuming it was some uncomplimentary dig at brexiteers because you agree with it but either the op doesn't have the courage of his convictions or the mods have deemed it too much even for on here.
It’s back for some reason
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MrMunch19)
We saw at the latest general election the English nation throw away party allegiances and vote for the English nation leaving the EU. The Scottish nation voted as one to leave the UK state and the Welsh were somewhere in the middle, not sure what to do.
"The Scottish nation" predominantly voted for quite the opposite: the majority voted for pro-UK parties. Just as in England, only about half of the population voted Conservative.

With the rise of nationalism breaking the old paradigm of right-left economic and social policy, is it time for the English nation to free itself from the Empire it built and become a self-governing nation once again.

It is fair to say England has a lot of problem, basically all of them caused by the creation of the English Empire and the British state. The English people gained an Empire at the expense of their nation. The English now understand that the Empire wasn't worth it and they want their nation back.
The United Kingdom is a unitary nation-state, not an empire. Most states are formed by the amalgamation of preceding states, just as England and Scotland were formed from the unification of a number of pre-existing kingdoms.
MrMunch19
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
"The Scottish nation" predominantly voted for quite the opposite: the majority voted for pro-UK parties. Just as in England, only about half of the population voted Conservative.

The United Kingdom is a unitary nation-state, not an empire. Most states are formed by the amalgamation of preceding states, just as England and Scotland were formed from the unification of a number of pre-existing kingdoms.
England North and South voted as one for the first time since the end of WW2. This means the English nation is uniting politically/socially/nationally.

The UK is an Empire, the English took over Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland, then the Imperialist state was formed around this 'new state' which went on to become the state of the British Empire, but was originally formed as the English Empire. There has always been a Scottish/English/Welsh/Irish nation, that is my point. They are now moving to be that way again.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MrMunch19)
England North and South voted as one for the first time since the end of WW2. This means the English nation is uniting politically/socially/nationally.
A rather bizarre suggestion really. Different parts of every country vote different ways. That doesn't represent some absence of national unity. That's a pluralistic democracy.

The UK is an Empire, the English took over Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland
If you knew the first thing about British history, you'd be baulking at that as much as I am.

which went on to become the state of the British Empire, but was originally formed as the English Empire.
The Kingdom of England had overseas possessions in 1707. Scotland had a largely ruined imperial scheme in the Americas. Neither is particularly relevant.

There has always been a Scottish/English/Welsh/Irish nation, that is my point.
Think about that for a moment: there obviously hasn't been. The very concept of Scotland or England is a relatively recent part of human history and the known history of these islands.

In terms of nations, this is precisely why making up places and drawing lines on a map based on some assumptions about millions of people is a mug's game. People have different, overlapping and complex identities. If you're going to suggest there was English involvement in Ireland for centuries before the union, then the obvious point is that Ireland was only ever realistically unified in that period.

Equally, the United Kingdom was formed from separate sovereign states - albeit ones with joint monarchies. This was equally true of Scotland and England, which are themselves an amalgamation of pre-existing kingdoms that were unified - often by blood and conquest. That is far from unusual when you look at how countries are formed.

But sure, if you want to sit there and suggest as an Edinburgh man that I should fight to restore the sovereignty of the Kingdom of Northumbria and its remit over the south-east of Scotland, by all means. Until that time, these medieval curiosities aren't really relevant and certainly don't make a case for some sort of imperialism.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (18)
24.66%
My career doesn't need one (7)
9.59%
I'm sick of studying (14)