The Student Room Group

Anxious about re-sitting my 2nd year.

Hello so im currently re-sitting my 2nd year as i narrowly failed (3 points off one module to pass) and so far having no issues, going to pass this year, move on ETC. However what bugs me is my friends graduating this year where i have to stay another year. I will be 23 when i graduate when i should of graduated at 21 (i did 1 year then switched courses) anybody else in this situation? Feeling sad about graduating so late?
I will be in this situation - I’m 18 on a gap year (not by choice) and will be 23 when I graduate, whereas most of my friends will graduate at 21 and I even have one who will graduate at 20 since she skipped a year!

I think it makes complete sense to be anxious about the situation. I really struggled with the idea of being a year behind my peers but what helped me come around to it was (1) it wasn’t really possible for me to not take a year out and (2) the medics will be in the educational system just as long if not longer than me. Also, stuff happens. Graduating at 23 isn’t massively abnormal by any means, I also have plenty of non-med friends who will graduate at that age or later for many reasons, from poor physical health to going to a Scottish uni. And there will be mature students etc
Original post by DamoRazz
Hello so im currently re-sitting my 2nd year as i narrowly failed (3 points off one module to pass) and so far having no issues, going to pass this year, move on ETC. However what bugs me is my friends graduating this year where i have to stay another year. I will be 23 when i graduate when i should of graduated at 21 (i did 1 year then switched courses) anybody else in this situation? Feeling sad about graduating so late?

I know quite a few people who graduated a year or two later than their original cohort, and at the end of the day - why does it matter? You can't go back in time and change anything, so it's better to focus on your own trajectory as opposed to what everyone else is doing. See the extra year as an opportunity to get stuck in and make the most of your remaining time at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending