I'm 17 and im really interested stoicism. What should I study at uni?

Watch this thread
Azimbrook1
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm doing my a levels now and im studying physics,maths and biology. Recently I've been really interested in learning about stoicism alot more than my a level subject. What degree do you suggest I do?. The problem is that I dont enjoy writing essays, but im willing to compromise. Obviously i cant study stoicism,but what do you suggest I do instead
Shimo
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Azimbrook1)
I'm doing my a levels now and im studying physics,maths and biology. Recently I've been really interested in learning about stoicism alot more than my a level subject. What degree do you suggest I do?. The problem is that I dont enjoy writing essays, but im willing to compromise. Obviously i cant study stoicism,but what do you suggest I do instead
Lots of unis offer joint degrees with philosophy, mainly for physics and maths. You should be able to switch to either course after the first year if you really do prefer one or the other.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Stoicism is branch of philosophy, specifically ancient philosophy. You would be best off studying philosophy, classics, or a course incorporating both - a lot of the source material for Stoic ethics is in Latin (and/or Greek).

If you don't like doing essay based work though, you may be best off just looking for books on the topic and reading in your spare time. There are some degrees which incorporate both philosophy and STEM subjects, but inevitably at least some of the philosophy side will involve essay writing (and unless you pretty much purely take logic options otherwise, a lot of it will).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads