The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
london transport is all i know, so i just hate transport all 2gever.
Segat1
It's pretty great. I jsut wish someone would explain to me why they can't add aircon. That would make it wonderlicious.

True. Actually, in New York and Berlin they have aircon on the tubes, but I think that's because in London our tube network is so deep underground that there's a certain amount of natural aircon, if you see what I mean. In some other cities, the network is fairly shallow so it's liable to become dangerously hot in summer, especially in places like NYC.

Anyone experienced Paris' public transport? What's it like?
StarsAreFixed
I was amazed, first by the actual standard of it, second by the amount of people in the free newspapers complaining about how bad it is.

Does it not serve outlying areas well enough? Was it fine but now because of the expanding population it can't cope? I just don't get it, it seems sort of ungrateful to complain about it, and yes I have been on other European cities public transport. Granted London taxis are an absolute rip-off, but that's about it. I want to know what there is to complain about it! Coming from a capital city with an absolute joke of a transport system and no underground..I was completely blown away by the awesomeness of the tube. And it was really frequent at all times of the day, even the heathrow service! So jealous. And the busses seemed pretty frequent too...

YES, yes, yes.

The worst has to be the Victoria line, what a pile of crap.
Reply 23
stargirl001
The sad thing is I bitch and moan about London transport now but I know that when I'm at uni in a different city with less transport provision I will be longing for London transport.

To be fair I cant really complain as I have free bus travel, tubes are pretty cheap with my oyster and I have very good bus links. Sometimes it really does take the p*** though; having to wait upwards of 15-20 minutes for a bus thats supposed to run every 5 minutes is a pain in the arse.

Cant complain about the night bus service and 24 hour buses, in comparison to the rest of the UK, London really isnt that bad

Ha, that's what really get's me. Londoners are so spoilt that they think anything more than a five minute wait is ages. Outside of London buses might come every half an hour to an hour or might not even show up.
Reply 24
I remember waiting for the tube with my boyfriend (whose from london) but we missed one and the next one wasn't for another five minutes, he thought it was ages. Spoilt peoples you are :p:
Reply 25
we have a good integrated transport system(can get from place to another and easily switch from one mode to another), the only problem is that supply is lower than demand therefore we have over capacity
Its not too bad, like everything it has its ups and downs.

As you all say, tubes and buses are pretty frequent. However, when there is a delay (and there are frequently delays) You have to wait absolutely AGES for something to come along. Quite frequently have I had to wait over 1 hour for a bus when they are supposed to come every 7-8 minutes...

In summer, the tube boils up to a hefty 50 degrees Celcius which is an absolute scorcher. It smells, it's stuff, and many people pass out from the heat.

At rush hour, the trains are so full up that everyone is on top of everyone else. If you are traveling long journeys, its horrible.

At school hours (Morning and afternoon) buses are over crowded by rowdy school children who think it's cool to graffiti on the seats and generally piss around unnecessarily.

The oyster card frequently mucks up. It is *Supposed* to calculate the best fair to charge you, but most of the time it just charges you a ridiculous amount. I will only use my oyster if traveling on buses or only one way on the tube. Otherwise I will buy a ticket, just for my own piece of mind.

And it's so expensive now, especially for students such as myself! I remember the good old days when the bus was 70p for adults. Now its £2!!!

Gah!!!!

But I suppose I can't complain too much. When it does work, we do have a great transport system.
Reply 27
stargirl001
having to wait upwards of 15-20 minutes for a bus thats supposed to run every 5 minutes is a pain in the arse.

I waited 2 hours for a bus which runs every 45 mins, then ended up walking for an hour to get a tram. It was raining too. That was a literal pain in the arse, and the legs.
I'm afraid you're scoring low on my sympathy rating :biggrin:
It's pretty awesome.
Reply 29
upturnedpalms
True. Actually, in New York and Berlin they have aircon on the tubes, but I think that's because in London our tube network is so deep underground that there's a certain amount of natural aircon, if you see what I mean. In some other cities, the network is fairly shallow so it's liable to become dangerously hot in summer, especially in places like NYC.

Anyone experienced Paris' public transport? What's it like?
Yeah. It still sucks though :boohoo: Barcelona's PT is fab. So well organised.
Reply 30
Mm - Tubes need to run later. London is a 24-hour city, and night-buses really can't cope!
Segat1
It's pretty great. I jsut wish someone would explain to me why they can't add aircon. That would make it wonderlicious.

Great? The tube is hellish.
TBH it is a lot better than Greater Manchester. Buses up there is a rip off. Weekly bus pass is £10 and that is only for a specific bus company. For all buses it is £14 a week.
Reply 33
naivesincerity
Great? The tube is hellish.
It's pretty efficient, actually. What's your problem with it, or are you just having another moan?
Reply 34
The Japanese public transport is the best ive used, followed by Europe, and many cities in China are now equipped with brilliant public transport. Its good, it could be better. Its the delays, infrequency of service, and the fact some lines are frequently out of service which is the problem. In Japan, they appologise after being seconds late, in England its not considered "late" until after 10minutes!
Segat1
It's pretty efficient, actually. What's your problem with it, or are you just having another moan?

Considering how huge it is, how many people use it, how long its hours are and the sheer complexity of the system I would agree and say yes, it is pretty efficient. Everyone kicks up a fuss when there are problems but nothing that goes well is ever acknowledged.
Reply 36
London public transport is not that good compared to other international cities, maybe because the standard of public transport in rest of the UK is so bad that London's seems good in comparison.
Reply 37
It's not cheap but I think it's bloody brilliant.
I don't have a problem with any of the transport really, only when the train stations are under repair and they have those bus replacement services...

But those buses like the 450,410.. the "granny" buses do my head in. They move like slugs :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending