Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i pretty much have nothing but praise for it, trains mostly come within 2 minutes when you wait, my onnlly complaint is that i dont see why they dont run for 24 hours. they would be great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazza)
    They have to announce now so we don't all panic and think there's terrorists. It's between "a passenger taken ill on a train" "a person under the train" and "security alert at..."

and those boards are full of lies. The announcements that you hear are the complete opposite

Omg the amount of signs going on about unattended suspicious bags, 20 CCTV cameras at all stops, being searched at every tourist attraction...understandable, but very weird to experience.

ReputationRep:
    its fantastic !!!!

i can go to the toher side of london for £2 I can get buses all over london. It's well served frequent and vastly better than that of other countries...when its working.

ReputationRep:
    The price is probably the worst. Though you get free bus travel which is really good, they make it up in train prices! I live, technically, in London and my area has it's own overground station which has several connections with the main underground. Despite it being in London and a train service, I'm unable to use my Oyster card and costs me £7 a time!

ReputationRep:
    We like to ***** and gripe, but honestly it IS pretty good.

Rather expensive for the fully grown, but I have a 16-18 oyster card which means free buses and cheap tubes. Sometimes buses are late, trains are always hot and their IS the odd breakdown...

But over all london transport vastly improves my life.

And TFL's journey planner is awesome.

I live in London for a few months a year and I've found that obviously, it's British, so it's late, expensive and always breaking down but compared to other places in the UK it's not too bad. Cheaper than Norfolk that's for sure considering the distance travelled. Oyster cards are the best invention in the world and it's possible to get anywhere in London really with two or three changes. Epping to Heathrow Airport (1 change). Amersham to Purfleet (3 changes). The buses aren't too bad either.

Shame there aren't more trams, I love trams.

ReputationRep:
    I think it isn't as bad as some people say (I think some people tend to exaggerate bad experiences and think that it is possible to apply that one sour experience to every single journey they ever make again), but the price for an adult one way fare on the tube (£2/£2.50) is, IMO, a bit too much. I fully appreciate that the network is almost a century old in most places, and that maintenance and upkeep can be incredibly costly, but the fare prices are really pinching at the purse strings.

At least the Tube is more reliable than buses - the bus network is okay, but at times can be incredibly delayed and just generally not stick to any timetabled times at all :/

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when the bus is late.

Especially when i'm in the actual Bus station, the bus is there..I'm looking at the driver and he just continues sitting on his fat arse. Its been WAY MORE than 10 mins- yet refuses to start the bus.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its too bad, but yes lateness is an issue. Though I would be lost in the countryside, with no trains and one bus an hour. Also, I rather like black cabs in the city, I dont find them too expensive! I feel safe in them too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sifr)
    I hate it when the bus is late.

Especially when i'm in the actual Bus station, the bus is there..I'm looking at the driver and he just continues sitting on his fat arse. Its been WAY MORE than 10 mins- yet refuses to start the bus.
    Oh my days!!!

This actually happens to me when im at mill hill broadway waiting for a 114 bus home. The driver takes the piss and takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to get going. I even saw one driver start praying on the upper deck!

ReputationRep:
    I never really have much of a problem with it. When the buses are late it does get frustrating, but generally it's ok. And 90p for a bus journey - cheaper than anywhere else in the UK that I've been lately.

I spose I'm particularly on-side atm, as they've recently made the bus that I use most often into a 24hr service, which has given me a much greater sense of freedom. It was horrible having to leave the pub before my friends so that I could get the last bus (and a couple of times that didn't show), which I don't have to worry about any more.

ReputationRep:
    I might have been lucky, but in the year when I had to use the tube every morning I was only ever late through my own fault. London's transport is very good!

Compare it to where my parents live, where after about 7pm the bus is only every hour -- that's too infrequent to be useful, every 30 minutes is the longest gap there should be between buses for a useful service.

(Original post by Segat1)
    It's pretty great. I jsut wish someone would explain to me why they can't add aircon. That would make it wonderlicious.
    They are adding air conditioning to the sub-surface lines (the ones just below the surface: District, Circle, Metropolitain, Hammersmith and City). These are big tunnels, so adding it isn't difficult. New trains, with air conditioning, should be running on those lines starting from 2010, and all the old trains will be replaced by 2015 (five years because they obviously can't make over a hundred whole trains all at once, so new trains are put in service as soon as they're ready).

They can't put air conditioning on the deep, bored tunnel lines (Piccadilly, Jubilee, Northern, Central, Bakerloo, Victoria, Waterloo & City). They were built before underground tunnelling was good enough to make "normal-train" sized tunnels, which is why the trains are smaller than usual. Because of this, and because the tunnels are very long, there isn't enough ventilation for air conditioning: air conditioning works by pulling the heat out of the train and putting it (and some extra waste heat) on the outside, so it would just make the narrow tunnels + platforms even hotter, so the aircon would have to work harder, etc, etc. But, they are working on a tunnel-cooling system, and new trains on the Victoria line (from January 2009) will have better normal ventilation too.

(Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    Dublin will never get an underground, it's too late to start digging up the streets now.
    No it isn't! London's building/rebuilding a few new railways. The East London line is currently closed, so it can be extended and joined on to existing railways. The Channel Tunnel Rail Link was completed a couple of years ago. Crossrail should be built (if Parliament give their final approval), and that's a whole new tunnel right under central London. Tunnel boring machines don't seem to cause that much disruption, since most of the work is underground. It's obviously expensive though.

All the dotted lines on this map are proposed new railways: http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/trans...ortmap2016.pdf (but who knows how many will actually get built -- that map was Ken Livingstone's vision. Some of it is already done.).

ReputationRep:
    I never complain about it, it's pretty awesome all things considered.

ReputationRep:
    When they built the Luas (pathetic tram lines) it caused a huge amount of disruption, went way over budget and loads of businesses were fuming because they lost most of their eh business. And that was overground! The original tube network was pretty much completed in the 50's, wasn't it? I think that's when Dublin's needed to be built. There are plans to extend the Luas but going underground with it keeps getting dismissed because it would throw the city into chaos.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fantastic, personally. I love my buses :-)

ReputationRep:
    Its ****ing **** compared to other western developed countries. The system was made so long ago when they never imagined how many people would eventually be using it, yet the prices are so high. In the summer it is an absolute killer, I know most TSR people love to slate the USA but I am in New York at the moment and its like heaven on the trains with air conditioning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriztina27)
    i pretty much have nothing but praise for it, trains mostly come within 2 minutes when you wait, my onnlly complaint is that i dont see why they dont run for 24 hours. they would be great!
    Indeed, they should programme computers to run the trains 24/7, higher revenue, better service and evenutally lower costs as it saves on you having to pay some monkey 30 grand a year to press buttons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
    Indeed, they should programme computers to run the trains 24/7, higher revenue, better service and evenutally lower costs as it saves on you having to pay some monkey 30 grand a year to press buttons.
    Automatic trains are already in use on the DLR, and I think the Victoria, Jubilee and Northern lines will be using them soon (within 5 years, I can't remember where I read that).

They don't run 24/7 because they have to maintain/inspect the track at night. New York has 4 tunnels, so a limited service can be run with two tunnels whilst the other two are maintained.

The Victoria line was built in the 60s, the Jubilee Line in the 70s and 90s, and the DLR in the 80s, so it is possible to add new lines. It does cause disruption, but if there's support for the work then people understand that it's necessary, and if it's managed well then disruption should be kept to a minimum (one example: when building a new railway in a city, make the builders use the railway line for access to the site and to move materials, then there aren't heavy trucks full of concrete and waste soil going over roads).

ReputationRep:
    It's okay.

The only thing that bugs me is the lack of cleanliness of it all. The Tube is pretty much dirty all the time, and during the summer it's incredibly stuffy especially during the rush hour. Compared to Singapore's Underground, it is rather crap. You get fined for eating or drinking on the Underground in Singapore, plus they have AC there.

ReputationRep:
    It's good overall, but not cheap. As someone who spends on average 1.5-2 hours per day commuting on the tube during term time for uni and on the weekend for work, I have relatively few complaints. My main gripes would be how packed trains get during rush hour, cost, and the fact that people seem to choose to commit suicide on train tracks at the busiest times of the day (yes, heartless of me I know).

Tube > bus everytime though.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.