The Student Room Group

Not sure whether to leave or stay at my current job/apprenticeship.

I started my apprenticeship (level 3) just under two years ago. The apprenticeship itself is with a training provider but I am employed by the organisation I work for.

The company is an IT MSP providing basic support to a larger organisation. Nearly everyone (except the managers) are apprentices or young people. We have had older, more experienced people but they leave nearly instantly either due to low pay or infighting.

My apprenticeship is only suppose to last a year. However, because the managers kept cancelling my courses it meant that it extended far beyond that. This pushed back all my coursework which can't be done until all the courses are done.

I'm on the UK minimum wage for a 21 year old and I'm suppose to get "20% off the job training" which I don't get, but this appears to be the norm unfortunately after speaking to apprentices at other organisations.

In a normal sitation I would hand in my notice and move on to something else. However, I have no other job on my CV. If I quit now I'd be at square one. Plus I've invested countless hours in my coursework which are only graded on completion.

The issue is that in August I was told I'd finish in September, then October, then November now January. The dates just keep getting pushed by my provider and it's been going on for a year. It's really not having a good affect on my wellbeing but I don't see much option other than to press on.
Reply 1
Hi

There are unfortunately 2 types of apprenticeships - Those that train you to be skilled and those that train you to be unskilled. Every day of your apprenticeship should be a a learning experience inside and outside the job role. Remember that you have a responsibility to further your knowledge on your own back. Just ask yourself a few questions;

- Will this job elevate my incoming to a good wage eventually?
- Does the apprenticeship have good opportunities for progression inside the company or elsewhere?
- Is the apprenticeship honouring the low wage for high wealth of knowledge income?
- Am I doing everything I can to improve myself and keep asking questions?
- Am I passionate about the job? (Coincides with previous question)
- Does the company offer day release courses leading to major degree courses, such as foundation degree entry courses, HNC HND pathways etc?

If some answers are no, then you need to make them a yes on your own back or move. By the time i was 24 I worked for my 5th company to get increasingly better package to what I wanted, Don't be scared to quit.

I took an apprenticeship for 3 years in Engineering and machining and gradually over 7 years moved jobs as I kept asking these questions as to what the employer wanted from me and constantly looked to the future to eventually find a nice £40k / year role at 24. I am 25 now and still looking ahead.

It seems to me you have the intelligence to see the writing on the wall which many do not see. Whenever you think of doing something think of the SAS motto. In life you are going to get a **** load of opportunities but how daring are you only you will know. Goodluck

Quick Reply