Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Viewers cited Asian corner shop owner Dev in Coronation Street, Asian family the Ferreiras - who used to run the minicab firm in EastEnders - and road sweeper Gus, a black character in the same soap, as examples of stereotyping.

Emmerdale, Hollyoaks and Home and Away were singled out for having "virtually no ethnic minority characters".

US show Friends was criticised for being "too white" as was the Vicar of Dibley starring Dawn French.
    The above is taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7511439.stm.

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about it.

Personally, as some of my posts show, I am very much in favour of true equality and respresentation of all members of society but I think this may have gone a little too far. In relation to the soaps Eastenders and Corrie, I can understand the concerns as both London and Manchester are very multi-cultural areas and hence they do not represent the true diversity of these areas. However, I think the comment regarding the Vicar of Dibley is silly as it is set in a small village in rural England, which is more likely to have a predominently white population.

It hasn't got me all worked up or anything but I just felt that whilst it is valid in some cases, they have weakened their argument with some of their complaints. Your views?

ReputationRep:
    Soaps stereotype everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are a couple of problems; period dramas for example will have a problem including people from ethnic minorities if they are meant to be faithful to the time; modern adaptations are more able to include them.

And the Vicar of Dibley - television is meant to be realistic, and (unfortunately?) there aren't many people from ethnic minorities in some rural villages. I know there aren't any in my village.

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, they show a black man sweeping the street and that's stereotyping? Pfft. Showing him as unemloyed would be more of a stereotype, surely? Besides, that's one example - there's a black police officer in Hollyoaks, but no one bothers mentioning that.

And actually, come to think of it, I saw an article that claimed the opposite - not the under-representation of ethnic minorities, but over- and misrepresentation of them.

The article quoted the same example as this one, the Ferreiras in Eastenders. Apparently they're the 'wrong kind of Asians', and not a true representation of the demographic in that area of London.

OP, I agree with you - black people and Asians just aren't found in small, rurual villages, or the Yorkshire dales. They're called ethnic minorites because they're minorities. There are only a few places, such as London, where there is a high cocnentration of them.

This isn't just PC gone mad, it's not being able to win either way. And it's lazy people who have nothing better to do than pick fault.

edit: In the small, rural village where I live, there are 12 people from ethnic minorites, in a population of ~1200. I saw that on a governmental site.

ReputationRep:
    The report's leader, Trevor Phillips - head of the Equality and Human Rights Commission - said TV companies remained "hideously white".
    90% of the population in dominance of TV companies shocker :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yawn. Another attempt by the media/some idiot to stir something up.

ReputationRep:
    If everyones equal why do we bother to go on and on about it?

For Friends, is it incomprehensible that 6 white guys and girls are friends, and don't have many black friends? Don't forget Ross dated Charlie who was black.

Vicar of Dibley, Emmerdale, get over yourself you pc crackheads, they're rural villages.

The day political correctness, affirmative action etc dissapears is the day when I will want to live in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Constante)
    Don't forget Ross dated Charlie who was black.
    Her character was brought in solely due to worries about the lack of ethnic minorities in the show btw...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Constante)
    Vicar of Dibley, Emmerdale, get over yourself you pc crackheads, they're rural villages.
    I agree 100%, despite their being a random australian barmaid in emmerdale

And as for eastenders...WTF?!?!?!

Have these people ever watched the show? their are LOADS of black people in it.

One Black couple OWN a shop.

One Black(or mixed race) child is a genuis

people only look at the 'bad' portrayl. But at the end of the day they are only sterotypes becasue SOME of said ethnic minority behave like that =.= so it would be unrelaistic to not include them at some point.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.