headieone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My personal statement is obviously oriented towards medicine, but I was unsure what to do as my 5th option. I'm interested in accountancy but would they accept me with my personal statement?
If not accountancy is pharamacy alright to do? And how competitive would pharmacy be (is it worth applying to places like London)? I'm not interested in biomedical sciences.
Last edited by headieone; 1 year ago
qam
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hasnt the deadline for medicine already passed?
headieone
Rep:
?
yeah I've already sent off my application for medicine but I can still pick my 5th option can't I?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
University of Gap Year and Re-apply :bigsmile:
headieone
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
University of Gap Year and Re-apply :bigsmile:
That hasn't answered any of my questions. Reapply for what?
Last edited by headieone; 1 year ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sam72016)
My personal statement is obviously oriented towards medicine, but I was unsure what to do as my 5th option. I'm interested in accountancy but would they accept me with my personal statement?
If not accountancy is pharamacy alright to do? And how competitive would pharmacy be (is it worth applying to places like London)? I'm not interested in biomedical sciences.
Some universities may accept a second personal statement.

Pharmacy and Medicine are completely different careers - it is certainly not a back up for Medicine.

What about neurosciences? There are other science degrees out there which will enable you to apply to graduate entry medicine.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, its okay to apply for a wildly different subject to Medicine, but its worth emailing the Uni and asking if they want a different PS to support this 5th choice.

All Unis know that you have only 4 Med choices, and therefore your 5th choice will have to be something different, and it'll be obvious that a Med PS wont relate to that. Pharmacy would be fine btw. There are lots of subjects out there that do not require specific subjects, just high grades - Law is one other example - and its not uncommon for Med applicants to want another 'professional' career.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sam72016)
You can apply for anything really. Applying to a more competitive course or very different course might cause problems, or it might not.

For example, back when I applied I was rejected from Nottingham, but instead they sent me a list of 10 subjects that they wouldbe happy to make an offer for. All things related to biology, chemistry, physics and maths. Are those courses similar at all? No. Did they care? No.

But do consider that this choice will be changing your entire life direction. By applying for medicine you're applying for a lifelong career, so to change direction so drastically is a huge decision. That is why people are suggesting taking a gap year and reapplying for medicine if unsuccessful - that is the best way to get into medicine, so if that's what you want from life, that is what you should do.
headieone
Rep:
?
Many thanks for the replies they've been very helpful. I'm prepared for a career in both pharmacy and medicine, and I know quite a bit about medicine admissions but definitely not with picking the 5th option. with picking a 5th option I was just worried about competition. would studying at king's college be a bad idea because they know I've picked pharmacy as a backup and will reject me? that's where I'd like to study ideally. like how is pharmacy competition generally, are there more spaces than applicants?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads