The Student Room Group

Studying in the US

Hello, I am applying to study in the US.
I am taking INTERNATIONAL A-LEVELS.
I want to tell universities how the calculus that we take in A-level compares to how they interpret it.
Is it equivalent to CALCULUS 1 or CALCULUS 2?
Original post by jenine2003
Hello, I am applying to study in the US.
I am taking INTERNATIONAL A-LEVELS.
I want to tell universities how the calculus that we take in A-level compares to how they interpret it.
Is it equivalent to CALCULUS 1 or CALCULUS 2?

this website is for UK education, try collegeconfidential which is the US equivalent.

generally, A levels are far harder than SAT II calculus, but easier merely means higher grade boundaries.
Reply 2
Original post by A Rolling Stone
this website is for UK education, try collegeconfidential which is the US equivalent.

generally, A levels are far harder than SAT II calculus, but easier merely means higher grade boundaries.

I'm asking this question here because I am taking a UK system education: Edexcel IAL. I'm asking this question here because everyone here has a UK education.

Also, my question is not about the SAT1 and SAT2 (subject tests). I'm asking about how the general levels compare.
America has AP, where calculus is Calculus 2. We have AS and A2, but I don't know how does the level of the calculus that we have compare to the US education system. With the hope that someone knows.
Original post by jenine2003
I'm asking this question here because I am taking a UK system education: Edexcel IAL. I'm asking this question here because everyone here has a UK education.

Also, my question is not about the SAT1 and SAT2 (subject tests). I'm asking about how the general levels compare.
America has AP, where calculus is Calculus 2. We have AS and A2, but I don't know how does the level of the calculus that we have compare to the US education system. With the hope that someone knows.

you aren't going to find anyone who has studied or even taught both APs and A levels! Maybe a handful of people in the whole world... best you can do is look up the syllabus of each qualification!

My own experience of Maths A level is that the calculus is really easy and basic, and only Mechanics which is genuinely difficult, AP will be very similar.

Quick Reply

Latest