lollipopblaze007
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I really enjoy both but I'm better at fine art than dt but others say fine art is quite a struggle. So any advice or suggestions????
SnowMiku
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I only do fine art so I can't give much advice here but Art is a bit of a slog, at least with what i've been taught as it's working on projects and developing stuff and doing final pieces, when sometimes you don't quite understand why

It's definitely a GCSE to do if you're good at it and you like following other artists' styles, although every school will do different stuff
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do GCSE DT and honestly it is so boring. I knew it would be a lot of theory, however I am in year 11, and we have only been in the workshop actually making something once throughout the whole course so far, and we weren't even making anything of our own - it was a team thing. The theory isn't even particulary interesting (for me) - the exams are basically 'can you do extremely simple maths' or 'can you memorise the properties of these materials' and **** like that. I don't enjoy the NEA either, but that might just be me not liking coursework in general :laugh: I think that for AQA the briefs for the NEA also tend to be quite restrictive, and it can be difficult to make something that you will actually enjoy working on for a good few months. That's why my school switched to a different exam board lmao. I don't know anyone in my class who actually enjoys DT
Last edited by username3434964; 1 year ago
Emily~3695
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bill Nye)
I do GCSE DT and honestly it is so boring. I knew it would be a lot of theory, however I am in year 11, and we have only been in the workshop actually making something once throughout the whole course so far, and we weren't even making anything of our own - it was a team thing. The theory isn't even particulary interesting (for me) - the exams are basically 'can you do extremely simple maths' or 'can you memorise the properties of these materials' and **** like that. I don't enjoy the NEA either, but that might just be me not liking coursework in general :laugh: I think that for AQA the briefs for the NEA also tend to be quite restrictive, and it can be difficult to make something that you will actually enjoy working on for a good few months. That's why my school switched to a different exam board lmao.
I completely agree and so does the majority of my class, gcse dt is honestly very dull and the NEA is a lot of effort (although art is as well) and there is a lot of theory but none of it its particularly interesting. I would only recommend doing gcse dt if you like the sound of the theory otherwise I think you will get really bored, don’t expect to actually do much making because I have not made anything in tech for most of the 2 years. Unless you need it for a particular a level or job I would reccomend doing art, although just do whichever you think you would prefer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads