Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The "White Cliffs of Dover" are there because of ancient global warming due to an increase in atmospheric CO2 which was incorporated into shells of plankton.

ReputationRep:
    As a Christian I firmly believe that Jesus Christ will come back. It details what will happen in Revelation- that Jesus will come back to judge and that Satan and all the world's evil will be destroyed once and for all and a new heaven and earth will be created (the old one destroyed and everyone will have to give an account for their lives) where there is no suffering and pain for those who have trusted in Christ's sacrifice. Those who have remained unrepentant and unwilling to acknowledge God and the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross will have to suffer the consequences of an eternity without God (this is what is known as hell).

Therefore, I don't think I'd really change if it was known the date Christ would actually return. The Bible details having to keep watch, because Jesus will come back like a thief in the night so nobody would know when he's actually coming- but when he comes back everyone will recognise him. It would definitely motivate me to share my faith with my friends more because I know what's going to happen (if they didn't want to talk about it, I wouldn't press the subject against their will because everyone's entitled to decide whether they want a relationship with God or not) but I hardly ever bring it up with my friends, especially my friends from home.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, just when this thread was getting interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Before the EOTW comes the Great Revolution.... when it comes, the Oil Barons will be the first cats up against the wall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnyHouse)
    I meant global warming being propaganda as in the fact as it's not caused by C02 hence the fact that governments are making money from it.
    Huh which govts? how??
    seriously, I work for a company reseraching fuel cells, losing £8m a year from that project - how can we make money out of global warming propaganda??!

ReputationRep:
    ok u sound like u know what your ralking about, I know of the albedo effect, studied it last year, i'm more interested in what scientists say and have researched to be honest. There's loads of stuff about global warming not released on mainstream media.

It's just my opinion as 1000's of scientists have different opinions on the subject
    Sorry was that you just quietly dropping the other planets warming thing? (excluing pluto for obvious reasons)

ReputationRep:
    have you seen a graph on the earth's varying temperature over 100's of years?
    yes thank you, and over 10s of thousands and over 100s of thousands
    basically the climate has been pretty stable since the end of the last iceage but then started rising since the 1800s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomQMU)
    I will punish you worse than Dredd

Gold star for masterful use of pun.

Might give you a bronze star for that :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmj)
    As a Christian I firmly believe that Jesus Christ will come back. It details what will happen in Revelation- that Jesus will come back to judge and that Satan and all the world's evil will be destroyed once and for all and a new heaven and earth will be created (the old one destroyed and everyone will have to give an account for their lives) where there is no suffering and pain for those who have trusted in Christ's sacrifice. Those who have remained unrepentant and unwilling to acknowledge God and the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross will have to suffer the consequences of an eternity without God (this is what is known as hell).

Therefore, I don't think I'd really change if it was known the date Christ would actually return. The Bible details having to keep watch, because Jesus will come back like a thief in the night so nobody would know when he's actually coming- but when he comes back everyone will recognise him. It would definitely motivate me to share my faith with my friends more because I know what's going to happen (if they didn't want to talk about it, I wouldn't press the subject against their will because everyone's entitled to decide whether they want a relationship with God or not) but I hardly ever bring it up with my friends, especially my friends from home.
    Wheres the current heaven located? Is it an invisible land with invisible people?
    Oh and would an eternity without god be just like a life without god? if so, meh so what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Wheres the current heaven located? Is it an invisible land with invisible people?
    Oh and would an eternity without god be just like a life without god? if so, meh so what?
    The Bible doesn't indicate a specific place for heaven, but there isn't any evidence to say that it is in heaven- I think more likely that it is outside of this universe, (after all, God would have to be outside of this universe to create it in the first place)

An eternity without God would be horrible- it would be exactly like an eternity without good, because all good things come from God- we can see this in the detailing of God's creation in Genesis 1. The good things in this life come from God's gifts and blessing, and so once God is separate once and for all, all these blessings would be no longer there. Also, hell is described in the Bible with things like 'fire' 'darkness' and 'gnashing of teeth' which symbolises judgment and pain and suffering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)
    And if I don't receive him what'll happen?
    you will get your choice - an existance without the source of all good.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a good person. No really.
    How come I'm good if I renounce the holy spirit? I have "converted" many people to a secular life (which they thank me for).
    "God" is not the source of all good, it is in human nature to be good. It was an evolutionary advantage to be good.

Trust me, once you open your eyes and bathe in true understanding, it feels like this: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    you will get your choice - an existance without the source of all good.
    And if I don't choose correctly the source of all good will banish me to eternal hell?

ReputationRep:
    And if I don't choose correctly the source of all good will banish me to eternal hell?
    obv :no:

ReputationRep:
    If you reject eternal & abundant life that is freely offered you will be faced with your choice when "the books are opened", you will weep and gnash your teeth (regret and bitterness), then you will die.
    You wont be writhing in agony for eternity.

The judgement is eternal not the suffering.
    The cities of Sodom & Gomorrah are an example, they remain burned, but they are not still burning.

ReputationRep:
    The world will end for me when I die.

ReputationRep:
    mmmmmmmmmm let me see....
    I'm going to go with physics rather than Tales by the Brothers Grimm

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry mate, even if it is true, eternity in the company of Beelzebub and all his hellish instruments of torture will seem like a picnic compared to an eternity in heaven surrounded by evangelical nutters.

On such occasions I am always reminded of a story involving the great playwright George Bernard Shaw. He led a rather ungodly life, and his fanatical puritanical friends were always trying to scare him with the horrors of hell. On one occasion he replied:
    'Heaven does indeed have its advantages, for example it's preferable from a climate point of view. But I personally would rather go to hell - so many interesting, intelligent and educated people to meet there....'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01zaporozhets)
    Don't worry mate, even if it is true, eternity in the company of Beelzebub and all his hellish instruments of torture will seem like a picnic compared to an eternity in heaven surrounded by evangelical nutters.
    You've been watching blackadder havent you

remove from "an eternity" onwards and replace with 'with five minutes with me, and this pencil' non?

ReputationRep:
    cant believe none of you have mentioned comets/asteroids yet! Unless I missed it... Recently read about such things and how little time there will be between the identification of a earth-colliding comet and its impact.

Imagine if you heard that on the news later, and they said it will hit in a month.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.