Turn on thread page Beta

Cannabis watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    Cigarettes dont turn you into a gibbering giggley wreck. They just kill you slowly....
    Alcohol? At least people aren't violent on cannabis. You can't really give 1 good reason as to why it should stay illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Alcohol? At least people aren't violent on cannabis. You can't really give 1 good reason as to why it should stay illegal.
    Are they not? Some are, the way some are on alcohol, we already have one legal menace in society, dont need another one.

ReputationRep:
    Are they not? Some are, the way some are on alcohol, we already have one legal menace in society, dont need another one.
    Well if usage won't increase and might even decrease we can only gain by legalising it... Like with alcohol consumption doesn't decrease with criminalisation, it just makes people murder over the easy money that's to be made and society cannot harness the massive benefits legalisation holds.

ReputationRep:
    Having smoked weed and quit I am on the side of those that want to legalise it.

I am very surprised it has not been legalised by now.

It would be a nice little earner for the government and free up a lot of time on pointless arrests also.

More importantly though, you would make the whole process a lot safer. Weed is laced with all kinds of **** thesedays (a big reason I gave it up) and I wonder if that is the reason why the tests in Britain and the tests in Holland came back with such markedly different results.

I have yet to see one argument as to why it should not be legalised that really convinces me to change my mind.

How can making something safer be so bad? As for this gateway to harder drugs idea, that is just laughable to the many thousands of people I have met who smoke weed, including myself.

Did you read the OP?

ReputationRep:
    Well if usage won't increase and might even decrease we can only gain by legalising it... Like with alcohol consumption doesn't decrease with criminalisation, it just makes people murder over the easy money that's to be made and society cannot harness the massive benefits legalisation holds.
    but realistically, how many users are going to get arrested by actually having the drug, if weed smokers smoke it, fine by me, but legalise it? No, thats just takign us on a very very steep slope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Did you read the OP?
    yup

ReputationRep:
    but realistically, how many users are going to get arrested by actually having the drug, if weed smokers smoke it, fine by me, but legalise it? No, thats just takign us on a very very steep slope.
    But it isn't. All the knowledge we have on the topic shows that usage won't go up at all. Yet we will take it out of the hands of criminals and be able to tax it to pay for things like rehabilitation for addicts of other drugs, and therapy for those who come into a bad situation through their use of cannabis. And even if it were really bad for you it doesn't make you hurt others so what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    But it isn't. All the knowledge we have on the topic shows that usage won't go up at all. Yet we will take it out of the hands of criminals and be able to tax it to pay for things like rehabilitation for addicts of other drugs, and therapy for those who come into a bad situation through their use of cannabis. And even if it were really bad for you it doesn't make you hurt others so what's the problem?
    i dont know why you suddenly get all defensive, im not concerned with usage going up..nor have i said it.

In britain, we have a stupid culture. If weed were to be legalised, like the benefits scheme (and yes, alcohol) we would just be giving the 'chavs' yet another excuse to sit on their arse and stare into space.

I dont hate it, btu no, i dont think this country could deal with it being legalised and it shouldnt. Dont mind it, but illegal? Yes, should be.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know why you suddenly get all defensive, im not concerned with usage going up..nor have i said it.

In britain, we have a stupid culture. If weed were to be legalised, like the benefits scheme (and yes, alcohol) we would just be giving the 'chavs' yet another excuse to sit on their arse and stare into space.

I dont hate it, btu no, i dont think this country could deal with it being legalised and it shouldnt. Dont mind it, but illegal? Yes, should be.
    Well it's legality isn't stopping the chavs using it anyway though is it... The thing that will keep it's usage down is that to smoke it all day every day would cost an absolute fortune. You haven't really given any reasons as to why it should be illegal and why I should be made a criminal for doing something that is relatively harmless to be and extremely harmless to those around me.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's legality isn't stopping the chavs using it anyway though is it... The thing that will keep it's usage down is that to smoke it all day every day would cost an absolute fortune. You haven't really given any reasons as to why it should be illegal and why I should be made a criminal for doing something that is relatively harmless to be and extremely harmless to those around me.
    in the same way smoke is? You are a criminal because you are doing an illegal thing! you cant then moan about it. Oh so i nicked something but had it been legal it would be fine. Shoplifters dont harm anyone either.

It another mind altering substance that should not be used, either legally or illegally if you look at it that way. Like alcohol and smoking, its addictive and causes you to alter the way you would normally behave, not to mention the research into possible links with mental illnesses.

People do use it, ok, their choice, but it is not acceptable in society, therefore it should stay illegal.

ReputationRep:
    in the same way smoke is? You are a criminal because you are doing an illegal thing! you cant then moan about it. Oh so i nicked something but had it been legal it would be fine. Shoplifters dont harm anyone either.

It another mind altering substance that should not be used, either legally or illegally if you look at it that way. Like alcohol and smoking, its addictive and causes you to alter the way you would normally behave, not to mention the research into possible links with mental illnesses.

People do use it, ok, their choice, but it is not acceptable in society, therefore it should stay illegal.
    Stealing harms the person that's been stolen from, you can't reach for any other parallel to make my view that it's not hurting anyone look stupid because there are none. I know why i'm a criminal, I don't see why I should be made in to one though because i'm a peaceful law abiding citizen.

It's not nearly as bad for your mind as the government will have you believe either, it can exacerbate mental illness but cannot cause it. And even if people want to smoke it and increase their risks at the benefit of pleasure who are you to say they can't? It's also incorrect to call it addictive because it isn't.

It's illegality does nothing to help the number of people that use it or the harm it does society, it just increases it and costs us money where we could be making it. If prohibition had worked in anyway then I might be inclined to agree with you but it hasn't, making it illegal only hurts us and making it legal would reduce harm significantly. At the end of the day it should be acceptable in society to do anything you like as long as it doesn't hurt others.

ReputationRep:
    Stealing harms the person that's been stolen from, you can't reach for any other parallel to make my view that it's not hurting anyone look stupid because there are none. I know why i'm a criminal, I don't see why I should be made in to one though because i'm a peaceful law abiding citizen.

It's not nearly as bad for your mind as the government will have you believe either, it can exacerbate mental illness but cannot cause it. And even if people want to smoke it and increase their risks at the benefit of pleasure who are you to say they can't? It's also incorrect to call it addictive because it isn't.
    It's illegality does nothing to help the number of people that use it or the harm it does society, it just increases it and costs us money where we could be making it. If prohibition had worked in anyway then I might be inclined to agree with you but it hasn't, making it illegal only hurts us and making it legal would reduce harm significantly. At the end of the day it should be acceptable in society to do anything you like as long as it doesn't hurt others.
    Then what i ahve smoked in the past wasnt cannabis.

Yes it is addictive, no more than smoking or alcohol, but it is, such is the nature of a drug.

Me/ is it now me who is telling you not to? not at all, but i agree with the law, you say you are a law abiding citizen, your not. Me? I dont mind you doing it, you seem responsible. But making it legal? No way. Too many idiots out there. Look at drinking.

ReputationRep:

Yes it is addictive, no more than smoking or alcohol, but it is, such is the nature of a drug.

Me/ is it now me who is telling you not to? not at all, but i agree with the law, you say you are a law abiding citizen, your not. Me? I dont mind you doing it, you seem responsible. But making it legal? No way. Too many idiots out there. Look at drinking.
    Yes look at drinking. If it was illegal the number of people who drank wouldn't go down, it would just be pushed under ground. We would lose around £14bn a year in taxes which pays their health care bills and to police them, we would fill our prisons up with people who sell alcohol and we would hand the profits over to criminals. You seem very misguided about what will happen if it's legalised, it wouldn't just become a free for all. As I said the amount smoked would decrease or stay stable but the government would make billions and people wouldn't get killed. People like myself who harm nobody wouldn't be marginalised either. These 'idiots' that you speak of can get it anyway and do.
    Cannabis isn't even as addictive as fast food for goodness sake. It is in no way physically addictive and is only psycologically addictive for a small number of users; much like anything that feels good can be.
    You're agreeing with the law means you agree with the idea that I can be told what I can and cannot put into my body, which should only be up to me. Of course I am technically a criminal for smoking cannabis but why should I be a criminal and made out to be wrong for doing something that I enjoy that only harms me but conflicts with mainstream society? The very idea that I am in anyway worse because I prefer a joint after work than 10 pints is laughable.

By your reasoning we should ban alcohol and tobacco as well. 'It wont work I hear you say', well neither has banning cannabis! It has been a monumental failure that costs us billions in money and an untold human cost, both of which can be substantially reduced by its legalisation.

ReputationRep:

Smoking and drinking are both Physically addictive. Cannabis is not.

ReputationRep:
    Yes look at drinking. If it was illegal the number of people who drank wouldn't go down, it would just be pushed under ground. We would lose around £14bn a year in taxes which pays their health care bills and to police them, we would fill our prisons up with people who sell alcohol and we would hand the profits over to criminals. You seem very misguided about what will happen if it's legalised, it wouldn't just become a free for all. As I said the amount smoked would decrease or stay stable but the government would make billions and people wouldn't get killed. People like myself who harm nobody wouldn't be marginalised either. These 'idiots' that you speak of can get it anyway and do.
    Cannabis isn't even as addictive as fast food for goodness sake. It is in no way physically addictive and is only psycologically addictive for a small number of users; much like anything that feels good can be.
    You're agreeing with the law means you agree with the idea that I can be told what I can and cannot put into my body, which should only be up to me. Of course I am technically a criminal for smoking cannabis but why should I be a criminal and made out to be wrong for doing something that I enjoy that only harms me but conflicts with mainstream society? The very idea that I am in anyway worse because I prefer a joint after work than 10 pints is laughable.

By your reasoning we should ban alcohol and tobacco as well. 'It wont work I hear you say', well neither has banning cannabis! It has been a monumental failure that costs us billions in money and an untold human cost, both of which can be substantially reduced by its legalisation.
    so, by your logic, legalising it will mean no more deaths over drugs? and what would happen to those currently in the drugs world? Big time suppliers and such like? Would they suddenly 'turn straight' now that the tax man is taking his cut? or would they go for selling the harder drugs, to make more?

There is no need to keep getting so defensive, i dont have a problem with it, i just really dont think legalising it would work in this country. Not everyone is like you or me.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol is worse than Cannabis. Infact I can think of a couple of well known drugs it's worse than. People who fail to see this because alcohol is legal are stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I had a dream last night that I smoked some weed and got high.
    It was very nice...
    If it was legal then i'd try it. As it is, i'm scared of getting caught!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chew)
    Smoking and drinking are both Physically addictive. Cannabis is not.
    as in alcohol, long term use can lead to addiction. It is also similar in that its socially addictive (like molly for example), where people dont think they can attend a social event because they prefer how they are/how they perceive things when on the drug.

However i found it interesting that they now think THC can help fight cancer....

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read much of that, but I agree it should be legalised and banned in public places like Cigarettes are. I have no problem with this, I don't see the issue. I don't smoke, never have, and hate the smell, but I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to do what they want in the comfort of their own home.

EDIT: Provided they don't have children

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.