Cannabis Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rob 106
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by smalltownboy)
Cocaine and Heroin should be illegal because they are insanely addictive, and are seriously damaging to the body. Marijuana is neither of those.
Is death not damaging to the body?
Cupid Stunt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cocaine and Heroin should be illegal because they are insanely addictive, and are seriously damaging to the body. Marijuana is neither of those.
Legalisation should apply to drugs like that too.

Read up on and watch Brunstroms drug campaign, it pretty much states what everyones been talking about in this thread.

Legalisation also doesn't mean, you'll be able to walk into your local shop and buy Heroin, it'd be monitored closely and have some sort of system for the harder drugs.
nothingspek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
You clearly don't, it was in their previous manifesto: http://www.libdems.org.uk/party/policy/manifesto.html
They've even been to cannabis legalisation rallys handing out flyers with roaches attached to them! hahaha. Seriously do you think you're liberal in anyway? Banning cannabis is like banning gays, if children think it's ok to be gay then they'll have bumsex and they might get AIDS... it's not like it's their life to control or anything.

Please read this and kiss the ring:
http://www.libdems.org.uk/media/docu...gLawReform.pdf
Being homosexual isn't harming yourself or anybody else though. I don't see the comparison.
D-Day
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Punk Phloyd)
tl;dr
This stopped being funny about five years ago. If you're not going to read and respond, don't interrupt the flow of the conversation with useless crap.
smalltownboy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rob 106)
Is death not damaging to the body?
Yes. What's your point?

EDIT: Are you seriously trying to infer that cannabis kills people? Read up on the facts and then come back to me.
Spizzey
Report 10 years ago
It seems you refuse to accept the fact that responsible recreational drug use is a possibility. If this is true, you will never see my point of view, but I have seen it, experienced it and lived it, whereas you read the Daily Mail.
tis_me_lord
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by nothingspek)
Harsher sentences for dealers should be implimented. And as I've said; Not prison, help and rehabilitation, and anyway why are you innocent?
I am innocent because I used to work 80 hour weeks and pay taxes. I'm innocent because I have excelled at school and am off to uni. I would never dream of directly harming anybody, and consider myself as an overall good person.

I like to get stoned, watch house and eat doritos. Why am I NOT innocent?

You did say prison. You said tell them not to do cannabis and if they do, send them to prison. That is the current position, don't pretend you're being anymore liberal than Gordon Brown because you're not. Your position is authoritarian (the side of Hitler) and that is a cold hard fact.

Again I ask - do you want the negative consequences I just listed to occur simply because cannabis doesn't seem natural to you? Are you not causing more problems than you're solving?
Cupid Stunt
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spizzey)
It seems you refuse to accept the fact that responsible recreational drug use is a possibility. If this is true, you will never see my point of view, but I have seen it, experienced it and lived it, whereas you read the Daily Mail.
:laugh:

That's a goodun'...
Rob 106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes. What's your point?

EDIT: Are you seriously trying to infer that cannabis kills people? Read up on the facts and then come back to me.
I refer you to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/141891.stm
(wow i have used this 3 times in one thread )
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Being homosexual isn't harming yourself or anybody else though. I don't see the comparison.
Well being gay results in a much higher rate of grizzley death than cannabis use, if it were banned there would be less gay sex because we wouldn't be showing our children that their attraction to their own sex is ok. Therefore it is officially our right, in the interest of protecting people from themselves, to ban homsexuality and any action related to it. Or maybe, just maybe, we could educate people in how to practice gay sex safely and there would be effective damage control, similar to what we could do with drugs if we lived in a society that accepted them as a natural part of humans existence. Well done on completely ignoring the fact you've been supporting the only mainstream party that wants to do exactly what your fascist self is against. How dare you call yourself liberal anyway?:
Definitions of liberal on the Web:
  • tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition
Hardly describes you does it...
Rosaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cba to read all that.
Ever heard of summarising?
worldwide
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't know if anyone already said this, but bongs/eating cannabis don't take away the risks of oral cancer - eating is if anything worse, I believe.
Also, you don't write much about the long-term psychological risks. The short term dangers are minimal, of course, but what about decreasing concentration, motivation and heightened long-term risk of psychiatric illness, particularly in those genetically predisposed to have a higher risk of schitzophrenia (and how would you know that that was you until it was too late?).
I'm not anti-cannabis, by no means, just trying to give some of the negatives, too.
Spizzey
Report 10 years ago
You have, but it doesn't become any more true however many times you post it.

Do you not understand that when conflicting studies exist, NOBODY knows the real answer, and posting a very one sided study (that was done 10 years ago, I might add!) does not mean its the absolute truth?

That article completely skates over the fact that THC has been shown to have anti-carcinogenic properties. I can understand this, since most of the research in this area is much more recent than 1998.

And yes, the BBC reported those studies too. University of California, if I remember correctly and you care to search for it.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're being so irrational it makes me want to go mad. Think of it this way: prohibition has failed people are using it anyway and are getting ill anyway. If we legalise it use won't increase and may even decrease; an instant win. Criminals won't have the money and people won't be killed over cannabis: a direct win. The taxes we gain from it can go towards treatments for lung cancer and mental health issues: Megawin. You also haven't addressed why you should be able to tell me not to do something that harms only me? If I want to get high and turn my lungs black why is it any skin off your nose?
nothingspek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Elipsis; I don't think you have a right to tell me that I shouldn't represent the political party that I do, it's one policy (which isn't even a set in stone policy) that I don't agree with. I'm sure there are aspects of your personality/beliefs/ideology that would conflict with your political choice, so how dare you tell me I'm not a real Liberal, or whatever?
Milk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Let's face it: cannabis will never be legal, ecstasy, shrooms and acid will always be class a. No government in this country would ever have the balls to suggest a radical change in drug laws, even though studies that THEY have funded have suggested that the current class system doesn't make sense.

But back to cannabis. Anyone who says it is 'harmless' is fooling themselves. I agree that the MAJORITY of people can smoke it regularly with no problems, but I know plenty of people, including myself, who have had serious negative mental effects from regular use. In my case, as with many others, I'm sure, the seeds were probably sown before I started, but ultimately cannabis is the only drug that's had any kind of long-term negative impact on me.

So use it wisely
Collingwood
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Elipsis; I don't think you have a right to tell me that I shouldn't represent the political party that I do, it's one policy (which isn't even a set in stone policy) that I don't agree with. I'm sure there are aspects of your personality/beliefs/ideology that would conflict with your political choice, so how dare you tell me I'm not a real Liberal, or whatever?
You are hardly a liberal if you support criminalising peaceable, private activities. You may be a Liberal though; god knows what that party is meant to stand for these days...
Rob 106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spizzey)
You have, but it doesn't become any more true however many times you post it.

Do you not understand that when conflicting studies exist, NOBODY knows the real answer, and posting a very one sided study (that was done 10 years ago, I might add!) does not mean its the absolute truth?

That article completely skates over the fact that THC has been shown to have anti-carcinogenic properties. I can understand this, since most of the research in this area is much more recent than 1998.

And yes, the BBC reported those studies too. University of California, if I remember correctly and you care to search for it.
I not trying to post so many times that it becomes "truer". I was responding to an argument that cannabis does not cause serious damage and that there was no evidence that it did.
Cupid Stunt
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Elipsis; I don't think you have a right to tell me that I shouldn't represent the political party that I do, it's one policy (which isn't even a set in stone policy) that I don't agree with. I'm sure there are aspects of your personality/beliefs/idealogy that would conflict with your political choice, so how dare you tell me I'm not a real Liberal, or whatever?
No point saying "How dare you" on a forum...really isn't.

It is a forum!!!!! People can say ANYTHING they want, it may break the rules, but I can insult you or judge you any way I want, 'how dare you' doesn't mean anything on the internet!
tis_me_lord
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by worldwide)
Don't know if anyone already said this, but bongs/eating cannabis don't take away the risks of oral cancer - eating is if anything worse, I believe.
Also, you don't write much about the long-term psychological risks. The short term dangers are minimal, of course, but what about decreasing concentration, motivation and heightened long-term risk of psychiatric illness, particularly in those genetically predisposed to have a higher risk of schitzophrenia (and how would you know that that was you until it was too late?).
I'm not anti-cannabis, by no means, just trying to give some of the negatives, too.
I did try to write about the dangers, and I posted a daily mail link on mental illness and stuff ... but yeah obviously when it comes to me I'm gonna focus more on why it should be legal, especially as my main point is a matter of choice and not a matter of preventing harm.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1111)
79.07%
Leave (294)
20.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed