The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

106 Rob
I refer you to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/141891.stm
(wow i have used this 3 times in one thread:smile: )

1) 1998. Too old.
2) The word "may" comes into that too much for it to be considered "fact".
3) You do realise that science is often manipulated to prove a hypothesis or to back up a Government etc.
4) Smoking pure marijuana is less harmful to your lungs than tobacco.

You seem to be for its legalisation because it "might kill you". So might irons. Or fridges. Or alcohol. Or cigarettes. Or cars. Or bicycles. You get my point.

In fact, I would like to link all of the pro-criminalisation supporters to this website that clears up some propaganda fuelled marijuana myths:

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/
Cupid Stunt
No point saying "How dare you" on a forum...really isn't.

It is a forum!!!!! People can say ANYTHING they want, it may break the rules, but I can insult you or judge you any way I want, 'how dare you' doesn't mean anything on the internet!

I was replying to his how dare you comment.
Reply 142
nothingspek
Elipsis; I don't think you have a right to tell me that I shouldn't represent the political party that I do, it's one policy (which isn't even a set in stone policy) that I don't agree with. I'm sure there are aspects of your personality/beliefs/ideology that would conflict with your political choice, so how dare you tell me I'm not a real Liberal, or whatever?

You are in no way liberal, the idea that you think you are astounds me. A liberal would want people to have autonomy over their own life. You are however an authoritarian who thinks they know best and should therefore enforce that will on others. A liberal seeks to enhance peoples rights and you're not doing that.
Elipsis
You are in no way liberal, the idea that you think you are astounds me. A liberal would want people to have autonomy over their own life. You are however an authoritarian who thinks they know best and should therefore enforce that will on others. A liberal seeks to enhance peoples rights and you're not doing that.

Of course; I will now accordingly adjust my political compass.
nothingspek
Elipsis; I don't think you have a right to tell me that I shouldn't represent the political party that I do, it's one policy (which isn't even a set in stone policy) that I don't agree with. I'm sure there are aspects of your personality/beliefs/ideology that would conflict with your political choice, so how dare you tell me I'm not a real Liberal, or whatever?

I'm sorry but you are quite clearly not a liberal in any way, shape or form. I'd imagine you're a liberal democrat for their leftie economics rather than their liberal social issues because you deem it as the duty of the state to protect people from themselves - that is exactly what liberals oppose.
Reply 145
nothingspek

I don't think anyone should adjust their political compass based on what some guys on a message board said, but the man has a point - your compass appears mislabelled.
Reply 146
Elipsis
You're being so irrational it makes me want to go mad. Think of it this way: prohibition has failed people are using it anyway and are getting ill anyway. If we legalise it use won't increase and may even decrease; an instant win. Criminals won't have the money and people won't be killed over cannabis: a direct win. The taxes we gain from it can go towards treatments for lung cancer and mental health issues: Megawin. You also haven't addressed why you should be able to tell me not to do something that harms only me? If I want to get high and turn my lungs black why is it any skin off your nose?

Sorry i'm making want to go mad. Whilst you are putting foward advantages, what about:
- The need to protect people?
- Democracy?
Reply 147
nothingspek

May I ask would you have all fast food banned? It's become quickly apparent that more adults have shown themselves more able to handle cannabis consumption properly than they have bad food.
Spizzey
I don't think anyone should adjust their political compass based on what some guys on a message board said

Uggh, yeah they should?

Why are we even here discussing this is nothing anyone says is allowed to influence anybody?

I have conceded points to people about politics before on this politics, I have changed my views over the years and its partly down to TSR. :smile:
**** you all, I'm off to get me some Schizophrenia!
106 Rob
Sorry i'm making want to go mad. Whilst you are putting foward advantages, what about:
- Democracy?

Protecting me by putting me in prison? Gee thanks, I'll thank you some day right? Or er ... maybe its a victimless act thats my own choice and you have no right to tell me what to do?

What does democracy have to do with this anyway? As if labour or tories would legalise weed and er, first past the post ... only labour or tories can get into power. So what are we supposed to do?!
Reply 151
106 Rob
- Democracy?

You aren't protecting people with this method though, you're harming them. If prohibition totally stopped it's use then i'd say maybe you had a point, but it never has and it's on the increase. Surely I would be more protected free where I could use cannabis and if something bad happened I had treatment options available as paid for by my taxes, rather than if I was put in prison with rapists and murderers?

What do you mean democracy anyway? It makes absolutely no sense that you think you're protecting people from themselves, sure you can keep it away from under 18s but over 18s should be able to decide for themselves if they are competant to do so. If you were all about protecting people you would want it legalised to keep it away from the vulnerable section of society: children, who can currently buy it freely from unscrupulous people.
Elipsis
May I ask would you have all fast food banned? It's become quickly apparent that more adults have shown themselves more able to handle cannabis consumption properly than they have bad food.

No, I wouldn't.
Elipsis
Congratulations at dodging the argument, I had a sneaking suspicion you didn't have one. Either way cannabis users are far far less dangerous than alcohol users by a long way. As far as users of drugs go they are by far the most peaceful. Care to go back to my post, re-quote me, and put forward a coherant argument as to why you should be able to tell me what to do with my body?

I couldnt care less about what you do to your body, but if you do use cannabis...the law cares. :rolleyes:
Reply 154
tis_me_lord
Uggh, yeah they should?

Why are we even here discussing this is nothing anyone says is allowed to influence anybody?

I have conceded points to people about politics before on this politics, I have changed my views over the years and its partly down to TSR. :smile:

That's not quite what I meant, people who decide to pigeon-hole themselves into a "political view" should not be expected to just uproot and change because someone said they were wrong, but in this case I fail to see how he can call himself a liberal when he doesn't believe in the fundamental principles that make one a liberal. :confused:
tis_me_lord
I did try to write about the dangers, and I posted a daily mail link on mental illness and stuff ... but yeah obviously when it comes to me I'm gonna focus more on why it should be legal, especially as my main point is a matter of choice and not a matter of preventing harm.

True, good points.
Spizzey
That's not quite what I meant, people who decide to pigeon-hole themselves into a "political view" should not be expected to just uproot and change because someone said they were wrong, but in this case I fail to see how he can call himself a liberal when he doesn't believe in the fundamental principles that make one a liberal. :confused:

I was being rather sarcastic, which I thought was pretty obvious. I really don't feel the need to justify why I am a Lib Dem.
Reply 157
smalltownboy
1) 1998. Too old.
2) The word "may" comes into that too much for it to be considered "fact".
3) You do realise that science is often manipulated to prove a hypothesis or to back up a Government etc.
4) Smoking pure marijuana is less harmful to your lungs than tobacco.

You seem to be for its legalisation because it "might kill you". So might irons. Or fridges. Or alcohol. Or cigarettes. Or cars. Or bicycles. You get my point.

In fact, I would like to link all of the pro-criminalisation supporters to this website that clears up some propaganda fuelled marijuana myths:

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/

Yes this does give interesting arguments. However i would point out the use of "appears" when talking about there not being a link damage.

I think overall there is uncertainty, thus neither of us can say for sure if there is a link or not.
Reply 158
I think the main problem with weed is becoming a stoner. I think everyone can honestly admit that guys that just talk about getting stoned and doing drugs are the most dull people in existence. Many use it without problem but jeeez, some users are really irritating.

Legalising it would increase the number of these people and no one wants that!
Reply 159
nothingspek
No, I wouldn't.

Double standards. By having bad food in society we're showing children that it's ok to eat bad food, and boy o boy are they eating bad food. Indeed we don't even stop under 18's eating this filth and now 1/3 of them are fat... leading them into more illnesses than cannabis ever could. Surely if you followed an even vaguely logical plan you'd advocate the banning of fast food too?

Latest

Trending

Trending