Ewaldred
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am finding it hard to revise English, but nothing else. I enjoy revising all my other subjects (mostly STEM based) and will sit down and work away for hours no distractions. But, as soon as it comes to RUAE revision, writing critical essays and learning MacCaig poems I just completely switch off. In Nat 5 I managed to get an A just by copying what the teacher did then regurgitate it in the final exam but this year my school has burnt down and we haven't had a full-time teacher so I have found it a lot harder to keep up with all the work this year. my Prelim for English is on the 10th of January and I am getting quite anxious as I know that I am not ready as I have not even written a critical essay yet. If anyone has any tips that might make revising more enjoyable or even a good way to revise because this is the only subject where I think past papers just don't do it for me, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for my bad English
ak1864
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hey I am doing my advanced highers at the moment and was in the exact same boat as you. In the end I managed to get 78% in english which was great!!
Basically what I did was I made a bank of mock critical essays for some of the past questions that had come up. I did this during the year (I only had a few done for the prelim just make sure you have lots done by the final exam) so all I had to do was look through them before the exam and vaguely know what to write. To learn them, I wrote out a template intro and outro. This may not work for you but i was taught this and it helped me do it faster in the exam since I had it memorised really well. I just learnt a huggee amount of quotes by writing them out again and again, talking to myself and making sure my quotes could be used for more than one theme/question so I had around 50 quotes memorised by the end I could use. I also just tried to get an idea of how to analyse them as well and make sure you link back to the question and make the quote make sense in the context you are talking about.
Make a quote bank of all the quotes under certain themes which can come up as a possible question. I printed this out and highlighted and colour coded for ages just so it looked pretty and I was able to learn it easier. This meant in the exam I just had to quickly think what theme the question linked to and bam I had quotes!
RUAE was such a pain for me throughout the year. I ended up getting 25/30 which I was shocked by honestly. For this, I just did as many practises as i could and started learning what each question wanted from me so that I knew exactly what kind of words to include, how to structure my answer and ALWAYS make sure you write more points than marks! This sounds hard but trust me just scrounge around for some extra points (they may seem bad but it doesn't matter). It just helps incase one is right and you get a lucky mark or two.
I can't think of what else to say atm since it feels like forever ago I sat that exam but let me know if you have anymore questions!!
Ewaldred
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Thanks for the help! Just sat my higher English prelim on Friday and I think it went okay. Was quite pleased with the RUAE as it was an easy topic to relate to. The critical essay wasn't too bad, but the set text was quite hard . Will just need to wait and see what the outcome is.
ak1864
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
That's great to hear about the ruae! I'm sure you will have done great, and anything you don't do as well in you can improve for the final exam as thats all that matters in the end!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (7)
10.29%
They've been reasonable (26)
38.24%
Not feeling great... (19)
27.94%
They are TERRIBLE! (16)