The Student Room Group

Contraceptive advice

Hi guys so just needing a little help.im on the combined pill and have been for a while now, and just feel like coming off it for my health because it gives me mood swings and honestly just gets me down sometimes and i dont need it as Im in a long distance relationship, and dont want to be taking any unnecessary medication, however he is coming to visit in a few months (3-4) and im not sure wether to just stay on and get through it or stop then go back on when he comes, or to just quit completely and he could wear a condom? Im just not sure! Please give me advice, thankyou!
Try the injection, implant e.c.t or a different brand of the pill. You should probably use a condom anyway if you're wanting to come off it or try different birth controls, plus birth control doesn't protect you from STDs.
If they’re visiting in 3-4 months, why not just go off the pill and use condoms when they arrive.

Saves you the mood swings etc but also gives you 99% protection from STDs and pregnancy.
Reply 3
No need for the contraception in the next few months so why not take a break. It seems you have to experiment with a few hormonal methods to find the one that works best. Mirena coil has worked well for us but implant didn't. I always imagine a female GP will be able to give the best advice.
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
No need for the contraception in the next few months so why not take a break. It seems you have to experiment with a few hormonal methods to find the one that works best. Mirena coil has worked well for us but implant didn't. I always imagine a female GP will be able to give the best advice.

Do you think taking a break then going back on for the 2 weeks that he will be coming will be okay? I just thought it would mess up my hormones or something
Original post by Erincora
Do you think taking a break then going back on for the 2 weeks that he will be coming will be okay? I just thought it would mess up my hormones or something

Well it's messing up your hormones now and will do whenever you take it - that is the point of hormonal contraception. Why take it any longer than you have to? Just use condoms or start taking it again at least 7 days before you intent to have sex.
Reply 6
Original post by Erincora

I think this should be ok. But best to get some expert help from GP or family planning clinic

Quick Reply

Latest