Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are you actually dating? Do your parents know about this? I'd tell them just in case. I met my last boyfriend online when I was 14 and he was 26 and we started dating a few years later (in RL) but I'd be careful if I were you and have my wits about me. Has he ever spoken to you about anything sexual?

Its the whole marriage thing that seems a bit odd to me. I don't see why you'd bring that up so early. I'm not 100% that you can tell a person's age by speaking to them on the phone but maybe...that was my original plan.

I partly agree with others though. You can think you've fallen in love with someone online, meet them and hate them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    One day he'll **** you over. :/
    Literally :no:

(Original post by hannah_dru)
    Are you actually dating? Do your parents know about this? I'd tell them just in case. I met my last boyfriend online when I was 14 and he was 26 and we started dating a few years later (in RL) but I'd be careful if I were you and have my wits about me. Has he ever spoken to you about anything sexual?

Its the whole marriage thing that seems a bit odd to me. I don't see why you'd bring that up so early. I'm not 100% that you can tell a person's age by speaking to them on the phone but maybe...that was my original plan.

I partly agree with others though. You can think you've fallen in love with someone online, meet them and hate them.
    They kind of know. Don't really want to go into that.

And he has, sort of, but not in a explicit sense and neither has he made me feel uncomfortable or anything.

ReputationRep:
    That's all a bit messed up.

Yes.
    Thanks for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    About 9 months ago, I met this boy online. We've talked most days since then, and when we don't talk he emails me or texts me and vice verca. The thing is, he lives in Australia and I'm in England, and he's 19 and I'm 15 so there are several factors that are kind of against anything working out. I'm in love with him and he tells me everyday that he feels the same way. He says that he's coming over to England soon, and he'd be over now but his dad had an accident and he had to stay to look after him and stuff, completely understandably. I just don't really know if there can be a real future for us. He's talked about marriage and stuff, and he says he wants to be with me for the rest of our lives, but you hear such horror stories about meeting people online, I'm a bit apprehensive. I do love him, I know that much, I just don't know what I should do - keep seeing him or let it go. Please help.
    Oh don't be such a silly cow. You're not in love with him. You said yourself about the horror stories of meeting people online.

ReputationRep:
    You probably don't love him you just really, really, really like him.
    I think you should meet him, op just be careful.

I had this kind of thing once, and after a few months i just blocked him and stuff. He turned a bit nasty. I was 15 too I think these things happen round that age. However i now (2 years on) have an amazing boyfriend who is real. I was at a very low point in my life and has serious self-esteem issues.
    Conversely, one of my best friends met somebody online, didn't meet him for 2 years (spoke on the phone, etc...), went out to see him for a week. 3 weeks later he moved in to her house (with her parents), has asked herdad for her hand in marriage, planning on being together forever, etc.
    Personally i still find this a bit dodgy. I don't know, it just seems a bit odd. She has also given up her A-Levels (just 2 months ahead of the AS exams), and seems to be a bit lost, and very obsessed with him. I don't think it's healthy AT ALL.
    It can work, i'm sure, but not that often. You're young, and have plenty of time to find a boyfriend in your country who you love.
    Good luck and keep safe!! x

ReputationRep:
    On the one hand, that feeling that your involvement with him could be weird is true, but only because of the dangers associated with online relationships and the dangerously low possibilities that marriage or whatever will spring from this because, as many have said, you're young and have your whole life. Don't ignore those thoughts of having it all!

On the other side of the fence, though, feelings that sprout for people who you come to know through the internet aren't /fake/- they're just as genuine as any other feelings and your worries, woes and wonders are all completely founded. What you need to be sure of is the basis of the stimulus of those feelings. He's in Australia. Possible spun story about a sick father. Ehh.. Just be careful, and stay chilled about it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.