azaza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I won't have sufficient marks to get an entry into UCL/KCL/LSE for an msc in finance. Is it worth then getting an msc in finance in QMUL or CITY and get the best marks possible in the msc to show that I'm serious and then try enter the top tier uni for an msc finance
Hakz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by azaza)
I won't have sufficient marks to get an entry into UCL/KCL/LSE for an msc in finance. Is it worth then getting an msc in finance in QMUL or CITY and get the best marks possible in the msc to show that I'm serious and then try enter the top tier uni for an msc finance
An MSc from CASS which is City university's business school is enough. An MSc in Finance from there is better than from UCL and KCL.
Last edited by Hakz; 1 month ago
azaza
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hakz)
An MSc from CASS which is City university's business school is enough. An MSc in Finance from there is better than from UCL and KCL.
Are you sure an msc in Finance in Cass is better than an msc from UCL/KCL ? I get it that it's a good uni. But as good as a top tier uni ??
Also. I'm french. So i haven't spent a penny on my undergraduate studies. So doing 2 msc won't be to expensive for me. tho it's a year more but I'm fine with that if i can get a better job after.
Hakz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by azaza)
Are you sure an msc in Finance in Cass is better than an msc from UCL/KCL ? I get it that it's a good uni. But as good as a top tier uni ??
Also. I'm french. So i haven't spent a penny on my undergraduate studies. So doing 2 msc won't be to expensive for me. tho it's a year more but I'm fine with that if i can get a better job after.
Why the hell are you trying to do two MSc in finance?

And yes, an MSc Finance from CASS is all you need. The only ones that beats it in the UK are the ones from LBS, Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and Warwick.
azaza
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hakz)
Why the hell are you trying to do two MSc in finance?

And yes, an MSc Finance from CASS is all you need. The only ones that beats it in the UK are the ones from LBS, Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and Warwick.
Okay. I think i haven't explained my self propely. I don't think i have the marks to get into any LBS, LSE or Warwick like uni directly after my undergraduate studies. So i was thinking of doing an msc in another uni less famous. And then apply to LSB, LSE with an msc in finance (and therefore compete with students who haven't got an msc and just an undergraduate diploma) and therefore have more chance of being accepted. And if i could, I'd love to do only one msc. But cause i want to have a good job i guess the best way is to go to a very good uni.
Hakz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by azaza)
Okay. I think i haven't explained my self propely. I don't think i have the marks to get into any LBS, LSE or Warwick like uni directly after my undergraduate studies. So i was thinking of doing an msc in another uni less famous. And then apply to LSB, LSE with an msc in finance (and therefore compete with students who haven't got an msc and just an undergraduate diploma) and therefore have more chance of being accepted. And if i could, I'd love to do only one msc. But cause i want to have a good job i guess the best way is to go to a very good uni.
I completely understand but doing two MSc in the same subject is so pointless. It's a waste of time and money.

I would actually advise against this. Imagine applying to LSE for MSc in finance after having done MSc finance already, I don't think that would look good at all. If you was doing two completely different masters then I'd understand. Again, I'll stress an MSc in finance from CASS will open several doors for you.

Good luck though
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A waste of time and money for doing the exactly same qualifications. CASS still has a strong presence in the industry and is globally known, sure enough to the extent Oxbridge, LBS and LSE are, but still far better than other UK business schools.

You are far more likely to get rejected applying for a 2nd msc, because they see no value for you to do the exact same qualifications. Theres also the issue that the entry requirement is the same for all these uni and they require the same grades, except LBS, Warwick, LSE are more competitive. The only thing that we see is that you want the brand value of these names. Have you also thought of applying other well known business schools in europe? For example, St Galland, Bocconi, IMD, Rotterdam, IE, ESCP, Edhec?

You're better off applying to other business schools, working your back off to network, get excellent grades and land interviews and climb up the corporate ladder; as this is mostly the purpose for postgraduate studies in a business school.
Hakz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
A waste of time and money for doing the exactly same qualifications. CASS still has a strong presence in the industry and is globally known, sure enough to the extent Oxbridge, LBS and LSE are, but still far better than other UK business schools.

You are far more likely to get rejected applying for a 2nd msc, because they see no value for you to do the exact same qualifications. Theres also the issue that the entry requirement is the same for all these uni and they require the same grades, except LBS, Warwick, LSE are more competitive. The only thing that we see is that you want the brand value of these names. Have you also thought of applying other well known business schools in europe? For example, St Galland, Bocconi, IMD, Rotterdam, IE, ESCP, Edhec?

You're better off applying to other business schools, working your back off to network, get excellent grades and land interviews and climb up the corporate ladder; as this is mostly the purpose for postgraduate studies in a business school.
Thanks for shedding more light on this topic. This is the best advice for OP but hopefully he listens.

He doesn't seem to realise that networking, interning and trying to make himself stand out is much more important than chasing brand names.
Warwick Business School
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by azaza)
Hi Azaza,

It is great to see you posting about thinking about taking an MSc in Finance, if you want to send over your undergraduate transcript to [email protected] I would be happy to review it for MSc Finance suitability.

You may even wish to consider our MSc Business and Finance. It is one of our most popular Masters programmes here in the Business School. Our students really enjoy the course and reach excellent career destinations, many going to work in the Finance sector I have attached the link to our website for you to take a look at the programme if you wish.
https://www.wbs.ac.uk/courses/postgr...iness-finance/

Hope to speak soon!

Danielle
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (184)
61.13%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.99%
No- I want it (83)
27.57%
No- I don't want it (22)