The Student Room Group

Teeth aren’t straight after braces. What should I do?

Right so about a month ago I got my braces off and ever since I got them off, I haven’t been happy with what they look like. They’re not straight and my bite is all off.

What should I do about it? I wore my braces for 3 years and I feel like I wasted those 3 years as I now have crooked teeth.

Any help would be appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
^.
Well you need to go back and see the orthodontist.
I'm surprised they removed them if they wernt straight, they dont normally until they are totally happy.
They certainly didn't with me, I had braces top and bottom for 2, years, and they only removed them when my teeth were completely straight.
Reply 3
Original post by Karisa96
Well you need to go back and see the orthodontist.
I'm surprised they removed them if they wernt straight, they dont normally until they are totally happy.
They certainly didn't with me, I had braces top and bottom for 2, years, and they only removed them when my teeth were completely straight.

Would they put braces back on me if my teeth aren’t straight?
Original post by Anonymous
Would they put braces back on me if my teeth aren’t straight?

I'm obviously not an orthodontist.
But I guess it is a possibility, only they could tell you for sure.
Right so about a month ago I got my braces off and ever since I got them off, I haven’t been happy with what they look like. They’re not straight and my bite is all off.

What should I do about it? I wore my braces for 3 years and I feel like I wasted those 3 years as I now have crooked teeth.

I’m in the same position as you, but mine just wanted me out of the door as they were short-staffed 🤦*♀️ Maybe try another orthodontist?
I had the same situation as you. I took my braces off after 2 years when I was 12-14. My teeth were much better than before but they were not straight, still very crooked. I managed to get braces again this year from the NHS after 4-5 years waiting. So it is possible. The problem is they kind of forget about you and don't really make an effort to book you in so you really have to fight and persist to get them to treat or at least see you again. They may not want to treat you again now, but give it a few months and they may put you on the waiting list. If not, try other methods like invaslign or see another orthodontist perhaps.
Reply 7
Original post by geniequeen48
I had the same situation as you. I took my braces off after 2 years when I was 12-14. My teeth were much better than before but they were not straight, still very crooked. I managed to get braces again this year from the NHS after 4-5 years waiting. So it is possible. The problem is they kind of forget about you and don't really make an effort to book you in so you really have to fight and persist to get them to treat or at least see you again. They may not want to treat you again now, but give it a few months and they may put you on the waiting list. If not, try other methods like invaslign or see another orthodontist perhaps.

But I’m 18 now and I don’t really want to wait much longer. Is there anything I can say to persuade them?
Reply 8
Do you have a retainer?
Reply 9
Original post by Deggs_14
Do you have a retainer?

Yep

I had mine off when they weren't straight and they never fixed them because they were 'straight enough'. Go to the orthodontist ASAP but they might refuse to put them back on.
I has my braces off after two years and they were straight but not central, I went back to the Orthodontist and they put the braces back on for another two years to move everything back. I was 18 and working when they put them back on but they put it down as continued treatment so I didn't have to pay as I wouldn't qualify for NHS.
I meannn they won't ever make your teeth perfectly straight. My teeth aren't perfectly straight after having worn braces for a similar length of time to people on this thread, but my overbite was almost completely corrected and they just look normal now.
Similar to above, braces didn’t completely straighten out my teeth but they certainly helped a lot and there are no significant problems as there might’ve been without. But it’s definitely not normal for your ‘bite to be all off’ and to have ‘crooked teeth’ after braces, I’d definitely get that checked.

I'm not sure but if you get it for free the first time I think they make you pay for the second time(probably £2000).
Maybe try invisalign or wait for your retainers.
Were they straight when you had the braces on and first took them off?
I have my braces on right now, but my orthodontist wants to take them off soon. I don't think they are straight, I feel like a few of my incisors (the pointy teeth) are still crooked, however when I complain, no one listens. Do you think I should go to another practice and get their opinion, even though I already paid for these set at this particular orthodontist?
Original post by AmeliaHart
Were they straight when you had the braces on and first took them off?

Nope
Original post by Lala143
I'm not sure but if you get it for free the first time I think they make you pay for the second time(probably £2000).
Maybe try invisalign or wait for your retainers.

Even if it’s there fault as they took it off too early. Is there anything I could say to try and convince them?
Original post by Accounting123!
I has my braces off after two years and they were straight but not central, I went back to the Orthodontist and they put the braces back on for another two years to move everything back. I was 18 and working when they put them back on but they put it down as continued treatment so I didn't have to pay as I wouldn't qualify for NHS.

Were you put on a waiting list or did they put it on straight away? How long was the wait?

Quick Reply

Latest