Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I'm due to start a Access Course this year and so cut down on my costs I'm making packed lunches instead of buying hot lunches.

My normal packed lunches consist of egg sanies/chocolate bar/drink/whatever else.

So what does everyone here have in their packed lunches?

ReputationRep:
    Sandwich, fruit and a homemade blend.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like getting the cheap packets of couscous from tesco or somewhere, cooking it and cooling it, adding a bit of fruit and veg, maybe tuna etc, and sticking it all in a tupperware box, lasts a couple of days and tastes lovely! My fave is the spicy tomato couscous with cherry tomatoes, onions and sweetcorn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinyhappy)
    I quite like getting the cheap packets of couscous from tesco or somewhere, cooking it and cooling it, adding a bit of fruit and veg, maybe tuna etc, and sticking it all in a tupperware box, lasts a couple of days and tastes lovely! My fave is the spicy tomato couscous with cherry tomatoes, onions and sweetcorn.
    ooo whats couscous? sounds yummy i'm gonna nick it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapphire_Eyes)
    ooo whats couscous? sounds yummy i'm gonna nick it
    http://www.britishfooddirect.com/ima...002357_200.jpg

That one's one of the nicest ones, dead easy, needs hot water and about five minutes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinyhappy)
    http://www.britishfooddirect.com/ima...002357_200.jpg

That one's one of the nicest ones, dead easy, needs hot water and about five minutes

THANNNKKKKK YYYYOOOOOUUUUUU
    :

now to persude my mum that we need it hhmmm

keep ideas flowing

ReputationRep:
    :

keep ideas flowing
    lol, no probs, I make myself pack lunches all the time, so I've found a few quite nice things, I also recommend Sainsburys mini houmous pots, they come in stacks of three for about £1.20, a few sticks of celery and carrot go v.nicely with them. Erm, what else... goat's cheese is nice in sandwiches, if you haven't tried it, it's worth getting some (the soft welsh stuff is nicer than hard english stuff, in my opinion)
    Ooh, my favourite revision-days-in-the-library packed lunch was homemade burrito style things, bit messy, but ok if you wrap them up in tin foil, and don't overfill them. You need some wraps, which are v.cheap, cook a few tablespoons full of rice and let it cool, fry some chopped up peppers and onions (you can get frozen bags of ready chopped veg at supermarkets if that's easier!) You can also add meat/tuna/other veg - lay the wrap flat out on a work surface, and put all the fillings in a line down the middle. Add sauce (any kind you want - i liked sweet chili sauce) then fold the wrap over, and wrap it up in tin foil. Whatever you do, keep it in a sandwich box so it doesn't get squished!!

ReputationRep:
    :

keep ideas flowing
    Too bad it tastes disgusting :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    Too bad it tastes disgusting :p:
    A good thing to do with cous cous is to add a stock cube to the hot water before you put the water in, makes it taste yummy!

About packed lunch, either sandwiches or something like pasta and sauce that you make the night before

ReputationRep:
    I usually have a bagel and an apple for packet lunch.

Sandwiches for lunch - vary them
    soup if you have access to microwave
    Salads
    Pasta
    fruit salads with yoghurt

ReputationRep:
    i need it to be healthy and filling and fairly cheap.

ReputationRep:
    I have to start having packed lunches next week aswell! I feel about 5 again!

ReputationRep:
    I like wraps as an alternative to sandwiches once in a while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    I feel about 5 again!
    Me too but think of the money been saved. I'm going to be living at home during my university as well, and taking plently of packed lunches.

Just keep thinking, healthy food and more money, cant beat that.

ooo nice ideas. I'm going to have loads of new ideas and improve on my cooking/kitchen skills great mine just consist of cooking pot noodles.

I'm taking in bottled water with me, so i know thats going to be part of my lunch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I like wraps as an alternative to sandwiches once in a while
    Why are my wraps not a patch on m&s?
    Why cant you even buy tikka wraps?!

I just want a boots meal deal every day :cry:
    Oh man I might get me a lunchbox to ease this pain!

ReputationRep:
    I like making pasta salad or a wrap, and then I just take some water or squash

This week I have had;

salad with tuna (lettuce, cucumber, red onion, grated carrot, sweetcorn plus tuna and some dressing)

salad with grilled chicken

cous cous, cooked with a stock cube added to the water and some roasted veg

nandos chicken with rice, peppers and cucumber etc with a couple of spoonfuls of tesco's own cool salsa mixed in.

left over sweet and sour chicken and veg stir-fry (always make this at uni, just make a stir-fry the night before and let it go cold then eat for lunch the next day)

ReputationRep:
    mm a good chicken mayo sandwich

ReputationRep:
    Pitta bread with veggies and chicken??

tzatziki and pitta bread

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.